Fasting readings

Zambarau

Just curious, how long did it take you to get uour fasting numbers to within an acceptable range? What is the recommended range for Type 2s for a fasting reading?

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just curious, how long did it take you to get uour fasting numbers to within an acceptable range? What is the recommended range for Type 2s for a fasting reading?
A long time. I'll tell you when I get there, My A1c responded well to keto diet, but my fasting readings rarely go below 7 mol/l. I've been at keto for most of the last year, with some intermittent fasting from time to time. Dawn Phenomenon is a harsh mistress.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The same for me as for @Roggg . My latest HbA1C is 37, but my last measured Fasting BG ( I rarely measure it) was 6.8.
It varies from day to day depending upon many things such as :
How well I slept
Something worrying me
If I had alcohol the previous evening ( lower FBG).

Why so many make a big thing about FBG (something its almost impossible to control) is a mystery to me.
The BG spike from meals and the HbA1C on the other hand are what we can control, and what we should be focussed on!

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 yrs of keto (or close to it) and my hb1ac is okish and usually at about 42 but fasting is always in the 6’s occasionally in the 7’s even after 16 or 18 hrs. During the day it’s still mostly 6’s and rarely rises by more than a mmol after meals.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my fasting levels like to catch me out - my liver definitely has a mind of its own. After over seven years low carb/ketogenic eating I'll still get some in the low 7s range. But as I have little say in the matter, I tend to just concentrate on the nice stable almost normal levels I see pre and post meals.

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mine seem to have been not too bad since diagnosis a year ago. Always under 6, average seems to be 5.1 which is very slightly down on 5.3 a year ago.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is close to 5 normally after few months of low-carb. But i noticed it has lot to do with what you had to eat the night before. If you have a heavy protein meal, my mornings will cross 6. If you have moderate protein and even few berries, that makes a quick spike and then sugar goes back to normal. The protein (an fats) delay the digestion and help in slow release before you wake up and coupled with Dawn ph. I have also noticed in couple of my friends who have high fasting BGs after long keto diet, that they had some issues with the AST and ALT levels, means their livers have some issues. If after long time, you still see fasting BGs high, and it doesn't get corrected with dinner modifications, probably either you have some issues with the liver itself, you still have insulin resistance, or you have burnt out most of your beta cells.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After 18 months keto, I am at the point where 6.0 is a high reading first thing. This has only happened recently, over a year after my A1c went back to normal levels.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8 years and still trying :-(
Everyones readings are unique and what is acceptable is also unique. Sone people just seem to naturally gain lower fastings than others but it’s not a competition and pushing too hard to achieve what someone else may be lucky to get doesn’t diminish your efforts

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Took about 6 months for me on an ultra low carb diet.
I like mine to be between 4 and 6 mmol/l.
Usually around 5-5.5 these days.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think I caught mine early. My FBG was 7.5 at diagnosis, I copped myself on & was 5.2 3 weeks later for my follow up bloods. Nowadays it's in the low 4s.

Reactions: Ricky

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 yrs of keto or near keto and I’m still stuck in the 6’s in the mornings. Only starting testing after changing diet so I don’t know what it was like pre diagnosis and pre diet change. Often the highest level of the day and hba1c in the low 40’s. Totally fed up with it not going lower but resigned to it now and at least it’s not higher.

Sometimes it’ll drop a little if I continue to fast occasionally reaching the high 5’s. More reliable is a small non carb snack for breakfast and then fast again and then high 5’s are much more likely to follow by late morning. Can’t remember the last 4 I had at any point of the day. I put it down to a stubborn but mild dawn phenomenon.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Libre didn't reveal a dawn phenomenon but I found I went sub 3.9 most night then wake in the low 4s which tallied with my meter

low.PNG