Just diagnosed

Keano100

Just came from the nurse who was very nice. And my blood sugar was 13.5 slightly relieved actually bit happy lol that down from 16.5 on blood test last week when fasting. Was really worried was gonna be over 16. Weighed in at 16.5 stone ouch (5ft 11) got meter and meds ready for the journey bit of a challenge. Looking to lose 2.5 stone hopefully with exercise and diet will do the job. Wonder if the vaccine did spike my bloods sounds probable. All round a bit wake up call.

Keano100

Just wanna say thanks very much for this forum again made a huge difference to me since diagnosis on Friday. I’ve decided to just stick with diet and exercise for a couple weeks and see how my numbers go before choosing meds. Waking glucose is already down from 16.5 to 14.3 and not even really started diet properly. Got a bit excited yesterday when after long walk was down to 10 before dinner. Anyway thanks again and will keep you updated on progress.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Keano100

Well my confusion grows. Was 10 last night before dinner. 14.3 two hours after dinner. 14.3 on waking which was disappointing but I’d had a restless night. As an experiment I followed exactly same routine as yesterday with food but walked bit further today. Took reading exactly same time as yesterday and was 7.6. Took it again in case a mistake and 7.8. I know obviously can fluctuate but was 16.5 fasting just 6 days ago. Could diet and walking really bring it down that quick ?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my confusion grows. Was 10 last night before dinner. 14.3 two hours after dinner. 14.3 on waking which was disappointing but I’d had a restless night. As an experiment I followed exactly same routine as yesterday with food but walked bit further today. Took reading exactly same time as yesterday and was 7.6. Took it again in case a mistake and 7.8. I know obviously can fluctuate but was 16.5 fasting just 6 days ago. Could diet and walking really bring it down that quick ?
Yes it can come down quite quickly. It can also be affected by sleep, stress, infections, hormones etc , but low carb is the main one followed by activity. Keep those 2 up and you should continue to see good results

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @MrsA2 - diet in particular has an huge impact. It was what got me on board with low arb quickly- why I like a meter nothing motivates like results!

But also remember other things can impact so don't get discouraged if the levels go up from time to time. What matters is the every day keeping the levels down.

Well done on a great start.

Buzzer81

Yup reading stuff in other threads seems my numbers although high can be improved with diet.

I was diagnosed with levels of 91.

Within three months I had that down to 48 with diet alone. The Metformin they gave me didn’t agree with me. At first it felt daunting but actually with learning about foods and the effects they have on my body I developed new routines which I think are quite easy to follow.

The trick is education. I learnt to much from this forum but also from Dr Fungs books, ‘The Diabetes Code’. I highly recommend you read that book.

There is no reason why you cannot get those numbers down very low and quickly too, but it will take time and effort and a small change to your diet.

The testing of my blood before and then 2hrs after meals was also an important weapon. I logged this on the ‘MySugr’ app as this kept me focused and if you do it 4x a day for a while it gives you a predicted hba1c score.

Good luck!

Reactions: MrsA2 and Keano100