Frustrated

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I probably posted all this before but having received my latest HBA1c result I can’t help but feel frustrated with the result.

I have been religiously, excessively and obsessively taking my blood sugar readings for many many months now and recording on the SugarApp. I used the Libre2 last month and it was the most accurate when comparing with the finger tests.
The predicted HBA1c on the Libre 2 was 42 mol, on the Sugar App the same.
The results from the surgery came back as 50! It never seems to correlate.
I don’t have anaemia.
My question is which one is more likely to be taken as more accurate and why does this keep happening. I requested the fructosamine test but it seems to have been dismissed.
Thank you

Sherazahmed

I probably posted all this before but having received my latest HBA1c result I can’t help but feel frustrated with the result.

I have been religiously, excessively and obsessively taking my blood sugar readings for many many months now and recording on the SugarApp. I used the Libre2 last month and it was the most accurate when comparing with the finger tests.
I don’t have anaemia.
My question is which one is more likely to be taken as more accurate and why does this keep happening. I requested the fructosamine test but it seems to have been dismissed.
Thank you
I think you should consult a doctor for it. no one here could answer your question precisely.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the answer may be in your post. You have obsessed with blood sugar readings and your MySugar and FSL app have done a mean average of all your blood sugars i.e. divided the results of the tests done by the number of the tests. I think that the biology may be different though in that the most recent blood sugars tend to show up more. Also your kit may have missed some spikes since it is flash monitoring e.g. you go more than 8 hours without test and your bg spikes pre dawn as it has a tendencey to to do?
I don't know if that explains anything but I'd say that what is important now is what you will continue to do consistently to manage your insulin resistance/diabetes? Hopefully all that data has given you some pointers about how to eat and exercise so that you continue to improve things over the longer term that you can live with. This is my type 1 perspective where I have to be more pragmatic to preserve sanity! As type 2 I'd assume you will gradually reduce insulin resistance by what you are doing now (what was your previous HBA1c for example?) until you get very boring fsl graphs that match your hba1c!

Reactions: Speedbird

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don’t have anaemia.
Thank you

Hi @Speedbird

Hugs for the HbA1c that is higher than expected. I'm also one of those that tend to score higher on the HbA1c than on finger prick test. The main reason that this might happen is that for an HbA1c the expected mean survival time for red blood cells is approximately 120 days https://www.mlo-online.com/disease/...e an average circulating lifespan of 120 days. However, in many of us with good glucose management, red blood cell survival time is longer than average, thus allowing these cells to glycate for longer, while with very high blood sugars, red blood cells die earlier, thus lowering average red blood cells survival and thus leading to HbA1cs, which are unrealistically low.

Interestingly, my HbA1c has dropped since my GP has started testing HbA1c in his practice (because he has bought the necessary equipment) instead of sending it out to a lab.

So, to answer your question -- I personally put more faith in my blood sugar meter (compared to a lab test). However, I also sometimes take tests half an hour, one hour, and one and a half hours after eating as well as directly after exercising to try to catch all peaks. I also tested my meter against lab test (e.g. fasting value) to ascertain it is reasonably accurate.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Speedbird

Hugs for the HbA1c that is higher than expected. I'm also one of those that tend to score higher on the HbA1c than on finger prick test. The main reason that this might happen is that for an HbA1c the expected mean survival time for red blood cells is approximately 120 days https://www.mlo-online.com/disease/diabetes/article/21085264/the-impact-of-red-blood-cell-lifespan-on-hba1c-measurement#:~:text=Assumptions related to RBC survival The HbA1c results,have an average circulating lifespan of 120 days. However, in many of us with good glucose management, red blood cell survival time is longer than average, thus allowing these cells to glycate for longer, while with very high blood sugars, red blood cells die earlier, thus lowering average red blood cells survival and thus leading to HbA1cs, which are unrealistically low.

Interestingly, my HbA1c has dropped since my GP has started testing HbA1c in his practice (because he has bought the necessary equipment) instead of sending it out to a lab.

So, to answer your question -- I personally put more faith in my blood sugar meter (compared to a lab test). However, I also sometimes take tests half an hour, one hour, and one and a half hours after eating as well as directly after exercising to try to catch all peaks. I also tested my meter against lab test (e.g. fasting value) to ascertain it is reasonably accurate.

Thank you Ziggy. It’s comforting to know that I’m not the only with this anomaly, and appreciate the hugs.
You have explained a possible reason much better than anybody at my surgery so I’m happier.
Hugs back at you.