Vitamins

Keano100

I’d also like some advice on this. Just changing over diet so thought might be helpful 50 year old male. Best brand not to pricey I’ve used solgar in past

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My doc reckons all it'll do is make your wee the most vitamin enriched in your street

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don’t why people want to take things like vitamins I don’t think they do much, you should get all you need through food!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I don’t why people want to take things like vitamins I don’t think they do much, you should get all you need through food!
Vitamin D is one that’s hard to get from diet. I take some additional vitamins when I’m training, otherwise just D3

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not that simple. Some vitamins are impacted by medications. Vitamin B12 and folate for one can be impacted by Metformin and require supplements.

I got a concerned call from my diabetic nurse a year or so ago following an annual review prescribing folic acid but I bought myself in the end as it is so cheap and didn't see the position by in adding again to the NHS. Now I'm not on Metformin I will probably be fine in that respect

As mentioned already, vitamin D given the lack of sunlight for much of the year can be a problem for some

Last edited:
Reactions: LaoDan

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 2 x Vit. B1 tablets every day called Betavit, I supposedly have a a lazy thoiroid.

I get plenty of vitamin d by standing in the sun for a while.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Simplistic at best. Many people need them for a variety of reasons, some enunciated clearly right here.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I get plenty of vitamin d by standing in the sun for a while.

Not necessarily. Apparently many people get less good at synthesing vitamin D as they get older. Dr Google says 42% of the population of the US are vitamin D deficient....

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Google says 42% of the population of the US are vitamin D deficient....
I live in Australia not the US, my work takes me outside so I top up on Vit D regularly, all of the blood tests I have had for D deficiency have always come back as good..

Reactions: EllieM

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Both my OH and I were advised to take vitamin D by our GP last year so we take one a day.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did take a general vitamin supplement when I was first diagnosed and made the decision to instantly go very low carb. I just wanted a bit of a back up while I was getting used to my new diet. And metformin made me very nauseous and I didn’t eat much for the first 3 months.

However I had some blood tests a few months ago and everything was fine, iron actually borderline a bit high. So since then I have cut it down to a couple a week until I use up the giant pot, and I do take vit D because I go whole weeks in the winter without setting foot outside.

If you feel the need I don’t think they do any harm, just choose a reputable brand and don’t go stupid on the dosage.

Reactions: oldgreymare