I'm one of the lucky ones - Less carbs has done it!

ontherun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks,

Just thought I would share. Diagnosed at Xmas with HbA1c of 56, not high numbers I came to understand however, I knew absolutely less than nothing about T2 until I came to this forum. Not always active on the forum but browse regularly and have learned so much, so thanks to you guys, my HbA1c has dropped to 37! I am fit, active and not over weight (apart from the odd pound) so the diagnosis was a shock. Anyway, I started reducing my carb intake mid-late January, didn't carry out any counts as such, but essentially cut out the big boys, bread, spuds, rice & pasta. I started baking my own low carb bread using vital wheat gluten as the main ingredient (lovely bread!) and reduced beer intake, albeit, still putting away ~12 beers along with a fair few vodkas with zero sugar lemonade over a weekend. I am also eating more fatty foods than I would ever have done previously without being too conscious, so very surprised to learn that my total cholesterol was 4.7 so very happy! I have a glucometer & monitor daily which has also been a massive help. I would highly recommend!

I guess that I've been one of the lucky ones - For now! So, thanks to everyone who contributes to this amazing forum. If I had gone along with the GP practice nurse on diagnosis, I would've been on statins, blood pressure tablets & god knows what else. Thankfully, I refused and found my way here!

Well done everyone!

OTR

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations that is a great result.

This site is amazing the collective knowledge and willingness to help others has changed so many lives for the better. It is one of the reason I stay active- this site changes lives and it has saved mine.

Well done!

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Big congrats btw.

I've often wondered if there's a simple formula to all this.
If 20 is bottom baseline in A1c & 48 is the diagnostic point, a span of 28 points, then someone like our poster above has exceeded the cutoff by 56-48 = 8 then 8/28= 28.5%.
If they then reduce their carb intake by the same 28.5% should they expect to be back at 48.
Or put another way they need to reduce their A1c by 48/56=0.86 so 14%.
No, that's wrong cause 20 = Zero so it's more like (48-20)/(56-20)=0.78 so 22%
It's too early in the morning for my rambling bad maths.

I know this is far too simple & so many factors at play but I wonder if there's a direct correlation.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Congratulations.
The only thing that luck did was bring you to this forum.
The rest was all down to you!

Reactions: ontherun

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Rocksteady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations for the positive results. As for the people on this site your knowledge and willingness to share is amazing. You make this journey more bearable.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great job...congrats. Now make sure you stay on top of it.

Do you have a bread recipe to share? I haven't found one I like yet...