Type 2 following dr Bernsteins diet which meter to use?

lesleyc

Hi everyone
I am a recently diagnosed type 2 not on any treatment. Since sept I have been trying to follow Dr Bernsteins low carb diet. I have delayed getting a glucose meter whilst my GP decided whether I could have strips on the NHS. She decided not so I am wanting to start the year by buying a meter and strips.
Which meter would you recommend?
I am on a very limited budget as I am disabled following a fall 2yrs ago.
Thanks in advance for your help and support. :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
The one with the cheapest strips - nothing else matters, especially not the initial cost of buying the meter.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Lesley :)

Bearing in mind the fact that you need to choose a meter with the cheapest strips as borofergie said, you can usually get a free meter if you phone the manufacturers as they would like you to use their strips, as that is where their profit is.

shine

I got a free Bayers meter with 50 test strips includeded which is a great start for testing. I just saw te advert on the website, just fill in your details and you should recive one in a few week. I think you have to shop around for the test strips probably best prices will be on line i will keep a look out as i will need more soon. I'm also going to ask my doctor if I can have them on prescription but it seems that the NHS are reluctant at present even though it would help in the long term for most people.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know not every one agrees with buying test strips on e-bay in case they are being sold on by someone who has had them prescribed but that is where you will get the cheapest strips .I have never had any problems with supplies and I have used several different sellers.The prices vary vastly so you need to have a good look around
CAROL

lesleyc

Hi
Thanks for all your comments.
I am completely thrown by all the different meters on offer.
Do I just pick a sample and explore which sell the cheapest strips?
Best
Lesley

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I buy all my strips in bulk on ebay at less than 20p a test.

I don't have a problem with the morality of it. I pay more tax than most people and should get my strips for free anyway. By testing regularly I'm hopefully saving the NHS the future cost of treating any complications.

descartesmum

I'm confused. When I was first dx in 2004 I was given a free meter and testing strips. Since then, on prescription, every 28 days I get 2 boxes of the strips.
Am I the only one who gets them for free?

Grazer

descartesmum said:
I'm confused. When I was first dx in 2004 I was given a free meter and testing strips. Since then, on prescription, every 28 days I get 2 boxes of the strips.
Am I the only one who gets them for free?

Byetta is a potentially hypo-inducing drug, so my understanding is that you would get strips on prescription like insulin users. Others on non-hypo drugs like Metformin alone don't get them unless they bully their doctor (like I did! :D )