Libre 2 which phone

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'll soon be starting on libre 2 and wish to upgrade my phone. The list on the libre site are all obsolete models.

Will any old smart phone work? The Samsung A12 for instance?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For starters you need
- to be able to install the LinkLink app
- to have NFC for scanning the sensor
- to have bluetooth to receive the alerts

There may be some more details but these points are easy to check.

I have run mine on an Honor 10 and a Pixel 5 with no trouble but not tried a Samsung

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'll soon be starting on libre 2 and wish to upgrade my phone. The list on the libre site are all obsolete models.

It will need NFC. A quick look on Google says that A12 does not support NFC so that wouldn't work.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there. I use a Samsung J3 (2018 version) without any problems, if that's any help!

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been on the Samsung website for the A12 it shows NFC & Bluetooth v5

Does this mean its good to go?

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have bluetooth and NFC but unable to get libre link on my phone - although I could download libre linkup - that is of no use to me.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been on the Samsung website for the A12 it shows NFC & Bluetooth v5

Does this mean its good to go?
When I said it didn't have NFC in an earlier post, it seems the Google hit that told me that was wrong. As a new phone it should have an up to date Android version so it sounds like a good bet.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bluetooth and NFC but unable to get libre link on my phone - although I could download libre linkup - that is of no use to me.
What happened when you tried to download LibreLink?

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What happened when you tried to download LibreLink?
Just said not compatible. Frustrating but will borrow one from a grandchild! I have a new camera that uses NFC so at least it works with that - all clever stuff.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For starters you need
- to be able to install the LinkLink app
- to have NFC for scanning the sensor
- to have bluetooth to receive the alerts

There may be some more details but these points are easy to check.

I have run mine on an Honor 10 and a Pixel 5 with no trouble but not tried a Samsung
These are the main points. You should also check the android versions as it might be that really old android versions don't support the new libre link app updates.

I was told some NFC signals on new phones are too powerful and could damage the sensor which is why you might not be able to download the app.

There have been lots of threads on here but also on Google and some in the comments of the play store listing, where people say what phone they have and whether it works on that. So it might be worth searching for. Mine worked on Samsung S5 and S10.

Reactions: In Response

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Samsung A50 which wasn't listed but it all worked all right

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The more I look the more of a nightmare a new phone is becoming.
It seems as soon as a phone is tried, tested and declared compatible its discontinued.

Looks like I'll be relying on the reader for a while yet.

ETA I've just realised that the A51 mentioned in the post above is still current, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to use a Samsung J3 which was great with my Libre 1

But could not upgrade it to the new version of Libreview that you needed to use for the Libre 2 that I was changed to so you could use its alarm settings with the phone so got a

Samsung Galaxy A21s which works fine with my Libre 2

Phone charge lasts about 96 hours (4 Days) on average

rover44

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Started week 3 of libre, first 14 days with l Libre 1 starter pack posted to me by DSN,
Prescription for libre 2 sensors, my J3pro 2017 wasn't compatible with loved link app, I've upgraded to a Samsung A21s this works well but you need to be sure to hold it directly over the sensor and don't move untill after the second tone, or you get a sensor error message.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started week 3 of libre, first 14 days with l Libre 1 starter pack posted to me by DSN,
Prescription for libre 2 sensors, my J3pro 2017 wasn't compatible with loved link app, I've upgraded to a Samsung A21s this works well but you need to be sure to hold it directly over the sensor and don't move untill after the second tone, or you get a sensor error message.
Yes good point, I've always been able to scan with my phone through clothes (including thick down winter jacket) but just have to deliberately hold the phone over the sensor. With the reader they always talk about just 'swiping' and my DSN was adamant phones couldn't scan through clothes until I showed her!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I use an iPhone XR just downloaded the app and off I went ! It scans through clothes no probs . Hi

Lozza5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My Samsung galaxy a12 works with the sensor and librelink