Newbie seeking advice

Crocdundee

Hi all. I'm mick from Ireland. 5ft 9, 77kg, Carpenter reasonably fit, used to train regularly up until covid. Got a hbac1 of 47 in my doctor's 6 weeks ago which was quite shocking I'll be honest. At the time I didn't even know what a hbac1 was so was convinced it must be all a big mistake I had a sugar in my tea before the test so that must have caused a misreading I thought. I cut sugar from my tea but no other changes

Anyways 2 weeks ago I had new blood results return, same hbac1 47. And my fasting blood sugar that morning was 7.8. (my bag of cheesy hula hoops the culprits I think) I would have to wait 3 months to be diagnosed with anything.
I immediately went on a low carb diet against the advice of my health service. ( In their booklet they suggest crackers and sweeteners are perfectly fine for diabetics )

The not knowing was killing me so I bought a glucose monitor. Immediately checked it after work. 4.9. I was delighted. Following morning was 5.9. I've been checking it every morning and after work since, maybe 5 days or so. But after reading some threads here I'm thinking maybe it's 2 hours after meals I should be checking it.

Also I've read about cyclical keto diets and felt this would be great way to justify some pizza on a Saturday night Does anybody have any experience with something like that?

I'd also like to know what some overachievers here have accomplished, I'm looking for inspiration. How long can I seriously expect to keep this disease away through diet and exercise? I've told my kids I'm invincible and will live until I'm 100 so I need to try and back this up some how

Any advice is greatly appreciated and Id just like to thank everyone for their input. All the information on here has been quite comforting

Reactions: Widgets

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

Your levels are still prediabetic (just) so with a meter and low carb choices there is no reason why you should progress to diabetes. Hint, test your sugar levels before a meal and 2 hours after and if the rise is more than 2 you've had too many carbs,

One proviso, there is a small but significant chance that you have slow onset T1 rather than T2 diabetes. In this case there is nothing you can do other than delay the diabetes onset, as you have an autoimmune condition that is reducing your insulin production, But reducing your carb intake will still delay the progression to needing insulin.

Reactions: Lainie71 and ert

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can still have pizza, just not ready made. You can make your own with a range of low carb bases. I like one called fathead. But there are plenty of recipes if you Google keto and pizza.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been keeping my decidedly needing attention full on type two at bay for a couple of years now, and whenever there is a celebratory 'do' I get several requests for my low carb options - and I usually eat before I go out as by the time I have got my coat off the dishes are empty.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been keeping my decidedly needing attention full on type two at bay for a couple of years now, and whenever there is a celebratory 'do' I get several requests for my low carb options - and I usually eat before I go out as by the time I have got my coat off the dishes are empty.
@Resurgam what do you take? I'm trying to think what gifts/contributions I can take to family gatherings when we get out of lockdown.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want something really fancy, then a trifle is always spectacular - almond sponge, lightly damped with sherry, a double strength sugar free jelly, possibly with added berries. I do blackcurrant jelly with blueberries, real custard - eggs and cream - dyed pink once that is set I pipe whipped cream 'plibs' on top in three circles, with some sugar ball bearings on top.
I make 'fat head' dough and put it into small trays, bake for a few minutes then put on pizza toppings and finish baking, I make sure that the edges are deep enough for a piece of greaseproof to be up high enough to miss the topping, then stack them criss cross for transport. Cook sausages and allow them to cool, then use the same dough to make sausage rolls. I turn them over half way through to get the dough to cook evenly. I made 'real' mince pies by baking the dough empty in pie shapes, and some lids on a flat sheet, they were filled with dry cooked mince and then a gravy with beef gelatine and the lid put on.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Well done. Use your meter to check how meals impact you and avoid any that spike your BG. Watch your carb intake and keep control

Cheers

Sam95

As stated earlier, Just good diet choices, and lots of exercise. I have been on a keto diet for awhile now though, and it seems to be doing wonders for me! Hope you figure out something that works for you soon. Keto is definitely worth a go.

Reactions: MrsA2

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want something really fancy, then a trifle is always spectacular - almond sponge, lightly damped with sherry, a double strength sugar free jelly, possibly with added berries. I do blackcurrant jelly with blueberries, real custard - eggs and cream - dyed pink once that is set I pipe whipped cream 'plibs' on top in three circles, with some sugar ball bearings on top.
I make 'fat head' dough and put it into small trays, bake for a few minutes then put on pizza toppings and finish baking, I make sure that the edges are deep enough for a piece of greaseproof to be up high enough to miss the topping, then stack them criss cross for transport. Cook sausages and allow them to cool, then use the same dough to make sausage rolls. I turn them over half way through to get the dough to cook evenly. I made 'real' mince pies by baking the dough empty in pie shapes, and some lids on a flat sheet, they were filled with dry cooked mince and then a gravy with beef gelatine and the lid put on.
Those suggestions sound amazing!! I really like the trifle idea- we've done jelly in little cups with custard on top- we also add whipped cram- they go really quickly- we leave some at home so at least I get some.

I like the pizzas sausage rolls and pies idea- Thanks!

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Hi all. I'm mick from Ireland. 5ft 9, 77kg, Carpenter reasonably fit, used to train regularly up until covid. Got a hbac1 of 47 in my doctor's 6 weeks ago which was quite shocking I'll be honest. At the time I didn't even know what a hbac1 was so was convinced it must be all a big mistake I had a sugar in my tea before the test so that must have caused a misreading I thought. I cut sugar from my tea but no other changes

Anyways 2 weeks ago I had new blood results return, same hbac1 47. And my fasting blood sugar that morning was 7.8. (my bag of cheesy hula hoops the culprits I think) I would have to wait 3 months to be diagnosed with anything.
I immediately went on a low carb diet against the advice of my health service. ( In their booklet they suggest crackers and sweeteners are perfectly fine for diabetics )

The not knowing was killing me so I bought a glucose monitor. Immediately checked it after work. 4.9. I was delighted. Following morning was 5.9. I've been checking it every morning and after work since, maybe 5 days or so. But after reading some threads here I'm thinking maybe it's 2 hours after meals I should be checking it.

Also I've read about cyclical keto diets and felt this would be great way to justify some pizza on a Saturday night Does anybody have any experience with something like that?

I'd also like to know what some overachievers here have accomplished, I'm looking for inspiration. How long can I seriously expect to keep this disease away through diet and exercise? I've told my kids I'm invincible and will live until I'm 100 so I need to try and back this up some how

Any advice is greatly appreciated and Id just like to thank everyone for their input. All the information on here has been quite comforting

Welcome you are in the right place.

Aylajondy

You can still have pizza, just not ready made. You can make your own with a range of low carb bases. I like one called fathead. But there are plenty of recipes if you Google keto and pizza.
Hi, do you have a recipe to make the fathead dough, please?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are recipes and even video demos around just do a search for fat head dough or fat head pizza.