Where else can a guitarist prick to test other than fingers ?

Bigonabianchi

Playing guitar is a huge part of my life and I don’t fancy pricking my fingers constantly , where else on my body can I take the blood sample please?

Reactions: LaoDan

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Three ideas.
Are you pricking too deep or on the pad of your finger? If your hands are warm, your Lancet does not need to go in too deep and it shouldn't hurt.
Have you thought about investing in Libre to minimise (but not entirely replace) finger pricks.
Meters used to come with a Lancet attachment which allowed you to prick elsewhere such as your arm but you need to adjust the numbers your meter gives you if you do that. Other places on your body given different readings to fingers

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Lol, I play too. I don’t prick my fretting hand. My meter came with a little map of alternate sites to stab, you should check your meters instructions.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
It may depend on your meter.
My Freestyle Freedom Lite came with an alternative head for the lancet device for testing using other areas of the body, such as the arm.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some years ago while in hospital (non-diabetic reason) a mature nurse came to do a blood test and she pricked the extreme side of my fingers. When I asked her reason, she said,

"What's one of the more serious side effects of diabetes? Yes, eye problems even blindness. What do a lot of blind people do to read? Yep, braille. So why would we want to desensitise your fingers?"

Maybe extreme but nevertheless some sense in the logic.

I don't prick that often now (Libre) but every time I do, I think of her.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
@Bigonabianchi You could try the top of each finger, below the finger nail/cuticle and above the knuckle, where there’s a small amount of soft flesh.

I don’t play, so I don’t know if this would be more acceptable.

Bigonabianchi

Thanks all... I think I’ll try to use a location off of the fingers entirely once I get the hang of this testing ‘regime’. The libre will be were I end up I suspect . Still finding setting up the Tee2+ a challenge this morning lol!

Theedamned

Also a guitar player. I use blood glucose meters that allow alternative sites, i.e., lower arms. Freestyle Lite allows this and is the most accurate. Use a painless Lance. Suggest the Accu-Chek FastClix Lance, with a 6 barrel lancet, and depth adjustable. Testing the Freestyle Libre 2 system now, but not ready for prime time.

Gafspa

Have you tried your toes? When I was in hospital they used my toes a few times to stop my fingers from getting sore.
I often struggle to get blood out of my toes as I have cold feet.