Hba1c

Mezza n

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could give me a clue as to how long it would roughly take to get my Hba1c test down to 48. Last November I was newly diagnosed type 2 with a Hba1c of 130, after my next 3 monthly test I was down to 70 following a low carb diet & exercise and now at the perfect BMI. I am wondering what numbers to expect for my next test and roughly how long it takes to get from 70 to 48 following low carb I know everyone’s different, I am just looking for a glimmer of hope to keep me going as it’s so hard. I would love to hear from other members how long it took to get theirs down I know I’ve still got a bit to go to get to 48 as they are still high and that worries me I am Just not sure how long it would take . I find this forum so helpful as you are left to kind of figure it all out by yourself i would be lost without it.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started from 87 on diagnosis to 36 mmol/mol in about 3 months.

Went very low carb and intermittent fasting.

Great to see you have already reduced a lot 130 to 70 mmol/mol is brilliant!

Reactions: Mezza n

Buzzer81

If you’ve made such a brilliant improvement in that short space of time then no reason why you cannot get down further in another three months. Are you using an app such as MySugr to monitor your own blood sugar levels? I do that and I find it helps keep me motivated and focused. The times I get lazy and stop I notice I make bad food choices!!!

Keep up your good work and low carb diet

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I started at 91, was 47 at the 3 month and 41 at 6 months.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was only a baby at 57
And from Oct to Jan got 42
It then took me until my next blood test to find out I hit 40.

Great start from you

As you say all different.
Take it with a pinch of salt and see Others times as only as a bench mark

From the looks of it, you very much got this.

Mezza n

I started from 87 on diagnosis to 36 mmol/mol in about 3 months.

Went very low carb and intermittent fasting.

Great to see you have already reduced a lot 130 to 70 mmol/mol is brilliant!

Wow you have done amazing thank you for reply love the help on here.

Mezza n

If you’ve made such a brilliant improvement in that short space of time then no reason why you cannot get down further in another three months. Are you using an app such as MySugr to monitor your own blood sugar levels? I do that and I find it helps keep me motivated and focused. The times I get lazy and stop I notice I make bad food choices!!!

Keep up your good work and low carb diet

I am downloading the app now thank you for that .

Reactions: jjraak

Mezza n

I was only a baby at 57
And from Oct to Jan got 42
It then took me until my next blood test to find out I hit 40.

Great start from you

As you say all different.
Take it with a pinch of salt and see Others times as only as a bench mark

From the looks of it, you very much got this.

Thank you for the reply and it reassures me to know it will keep coming down I can’t wait to get into the 40s well done

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
In basic terms An hba1c is the average of the 3 months (but more complicated but..)

So in theory unit could be done in as little as 3 months if you are really well controlled for that 3 months

In practice will typically take longer as people adjust to the new controls and lose a little weight… but it sounds as though you are already on the way to achieving this and already made good reductions for which congratulations are required

So hopefully your next test will see further improvement if this time you don’t quite meet your target don’t be too upset as you are doing great work towards getting there

Fingers crossed

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I went from 108 to 70 something in the first 3 months then to 37 in the 3 months after that. That was on maximum dose of Metformin, LCHF and exercise. In the following years I was able to reduce then give up Metformin altogether. My blood glucose has stayed in the nondiabetic range.

Mezza n

In basic terms An hba1c is the average of the 3 months (but more complicated but..)

So in theory unit could be done in as little as 3 months if you are really well controlled for that 3 months

In practice will typically take longer as people adjust to the new controls and lose a little weight… but it sounds as though you are already on the way to achieving this and already made good reductions for which congratulations are required

So hopefully your next test will see further improvement if this time you don’t quite meet your target don’t be too upset as you are doing great work towards getting there

Fingers crossed

Thank you for reply, I really hope I see a reduction on my next test, I will keep working towards this & thank you for the support I really appreciate it as no one really understands unless your going through it that’s why this forum is so helpful.

Mezza n

I went from 108 to 70 something in the first 3 months then to 37 in the 3 months after that. That was on maximum dose of Metformin, LCHF and exercise. In the following years I was able to reduce then give up Metformin altogether. My blood glucose has stayed in the nondiabetic range.

Aw WOW that’s very encouraging, I would love to get into the 40s on my next test in June. I am the same as you on the max dose of metformin and LCHF & exercise. That’s just what I needed to hear to keep me going in the right direction. You must feel a great achievement well done and thank you for this reply that has really helped me

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well considering how much of an improvement you have already had it seems likely that you will continue to go down.

Don't get too discouraged if it takes a little bit longer though as this is very much a marathon not a sprint. What counts is keeping it lower once you get it there.

It sounds very much like you have found your new normal diet so that is great news!

Well done and congratulations on your success so far.

Mezza n

Well considering how much of an improvement you have already had it seems likely that you will continue to go down.

Don't get too discouraged if it takes a little bit longer though as this is very much a marathon not a sprint. What counts is keeping it lower once you get it there.

It sounds very much like you have found your new normal diet so that is great news!

Well done and congratulations on your success so far.

Aww thank you for your kind words hopefully they will keep going down & like you say it’s a marathon not a sprint I will keep that in my head. It’s just lovely to have some support on this forum ....it’s just life changing this diabetes.