How much can Metformin do?

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is safe and well. I just have a question about Metformin, I currently take 1 500mg Metformin per day, I was diagnosed type 2 last November with HBA1C of 66, 2nd HBA1C in February was down to 43, I have reduced carbs significantly but still eat between 100-150 grams of carbs per day, when I have tested blood glucose after meals I've always had a good reading, always below 7 and never an increase of over 2 mmol. My question is how much is the metformin doing, I have lost 31 pounds since diagnosis, I suppose I'm just a bit concerned that my diet should still be better but it's hard going sometimes. I try to eat only 2 main meals per day for the majority of the week and fast for 15 hours during the night. Also how important is the fasting blood glucose reading, I have a needle phobia so haven't been testing this, only test if I'm having a high carb meal to see how it affects me. I'm going to ask if they'll test my HBA1C again in May to make sure I'm heading in the right direction, think I just need some reassurance here. Thanks.

Maggie

Reactions: KB1978

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin never does much so don't be surprised by that. Your low-carb diet sounds good; some go lower than 100-150gms but it's the level I aim for. Don't worry about doing fasting blood tests as they can be affected by the overnight liver dump of glucose. test 2 hours after a main meal and also just before if you want a comparison

Maggie75

Thanks so much for your reply, good to know I'm on the right track and hopefully the next HBA1C will show good results, just really want to get to remission with this.

Maggie

Reactions: KB1978

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've wondered this as well, my blood sugars are usually very good after meals and more recently fasting usually under target. I also just take 1 metformin day. It has some other benefits though as well so I'm quite happy to continue taking it

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hover around the 43 mark, and have done for 3 yrs despite being below 50g a day and often much less. I’ve been reminded on quite a few occasions it’s not a bad place to be, and it isn’t. My point is that if you are still eating 3x the carbs there’s still a fair bit of room for you to improve. Let us know what’s typical food in a days eating and we’ll try and suggest some pain free swaps or improvements to lower numbers without feeling too much depravation. I actually can’t imagine how I’d eat that many now

Reactions: jjraak and VashtiB

pinkjude

I've wondered this as well, my blood sugars are usually very good after meals and more recently fasting usually under target. I also just take 1 metformin day. It has some other benefits though as well so I'm quite happy to continue taking it
I was told yesterday I need to take Metformin. How have you found it? I am worried about possible side effects

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told yesterday I need to take Metformin. How have you found it? I am worried about possible side effects
I was worried about side effects . I started with just one tablet and that seemed to be enough at the moment so I haven't increased my dose. I didn't have any symptoms with one tablet. Best to increase dose gradually and take with food

pinkjude

I was worried about side effects . I started with just one tablet and that seemed to be enough at the moment so I haven't increased my dose. I didn't have any symptoms with one tablet. Best to increase dose gradually and take with food
Thanks. I have been told one tablet with breakfast for 2 weeks then gradually increase but it will be great if I don't have to

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I have been told one tablet with breakfast for 2 weeks then gradually increase but it will be great if I don't have to
Metformin is supposed to go alongside lifestyle and diet change? What else were you told? Anything detailed? Many of achieve larger results with food changes than we do with metformin.
Did they explain your levels and what they mean? Do you have actual numbers for results or opinions?

Some get along just fine with it, others have awful digestive issues. There is a slow release version that helps some of those who suffer. Be aware it can deplete b12 for some people so keep an eye on those levels if you remain on it long term.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Metformin nearly killed me… I was constipated didn’t go for over 6 weeks was really bloated felt like I was going to pop..

Metformin changes the way the liver works and reduces the amount of glucose being released into the blood stream…

Many doctors state T2 is progressive metformin will slow it eventually you’ll need insulin… generally painting a bad picture…

BUT

The truth is it doesn’t need to be… reducing carbs will mean less glucose in your system.. weight less(if needed) will help reduce insulin resistance.. even light exercise will help burn the glucose.. by light I mean as little as going for a walk..

Essentially a healthy lifestyle.. lots of posts in the T2 forums covering diet and food choices

So, from your original post you’ve lost 31 pounds that’s a significant amount and will be helping you greatly

250grams of carbs is still quite a lot.. some low carbers go as low as 20g

Getting back down to a hba1c of 43 is good.. and if you continue to improve on that they may start to reduce the metformin

For me personally I think the fasting bg is quite important as if you are high without food then you’ve done something wrong or not that well controlled.. don’t test immediately after getting up as your body can release extra glucose to wake you up and get you moving.. I find 30 to 45 minutes later to be good

So we’ll done

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re your needle phobia try using an Accu-Chek Fastclix which is like a pen you insert cartridges into which you can set at 5 different levels of comfort for piercing. You dont see any needles either. You get six “needles” in each cartridge but you can reuse each one many times.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Re your needle phobia try using an Accu-Chek Fastclix which is like a pen you insert cartridges into which you can set at 5 different levels of comfort for piercing. You dont see any needles either. You get six “needles” in each cartridge but you can reuse each one many times.

And they are so sharp that if you have it set right you don’t feel it

pinkjude

Metformin is supposed to go alongside lifestyle and diet change? What else were you told? Anything detailed? Many of achieve larger results with food changes than we do with metformin.
Did they explain your levels and what they mean? Do you have actual numbers for results or opinions?

Some get along just fine with it, others have awful digestive issues. There is a slow release version that helps some of those who suffer. Be aware it can deplete b12 for some people so keep an eye on those levels if you remain on it long term.
84 up from 55

pinkjude

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is safe and well. I just have a question about Metformin, I currently take 1 500mg Metformin per day, I was diagnosed type 2 last November with HBA1C of 66, 2nd HBA1C in February was down to 43, I have reduced carbs significantly but still eat between 100-150 grams of carbs per day, when I have tested blood glucose after meals I've always had a good reading, always below 7 and never an increase of over 2 mmol. My question is how much is the metformin doing, I have lost 31 pounds since diagnosis, I suppose I'm just a bit concerned that my diet should still be better but it's hard going sometimes. I try to eat only 2 main meals per day for the majority of the week and fast for 15 hours during the night. Also how important is the fasting blood glucose reading, I have a needle phobia so haven't been testing this, only test if I'm having a high carb meal to see how it affects me. I'm going to ask if they'll test my HBA1C again in May to make sure I'm heading in the right direction, think I just need some reassurance here. Thanks.

Maggie
Mine was 84 which is very high. I dont test but should. Any advice as to a good meter to use? thanks

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on 1000 mg of metformin SR a day and then reduced it to 500 but due to it giving me stomach problems I have now come off it even though my nurse told me not to . when I reduced metformin I didn’t notice any increase in my readings and now I have been off it for two weeks and still getting same readings of 5.5 mmol 2 hours after getting out of bed before eating anything.
So if metformin reduces the sugar dump from my liver overnight it should have shown a rise in my first test of day but it hasn’t it is more or less the same .
So for me it doesn’t do a lot

Tilley L

Hi everyone,

Maggie
Hi I am new on here I couldn't take metformin as it made me sick I went on a low carbon diet lost 3.5 stone and that did the trick diabetes went into remission But Covid lockdown has done the dirty on me and my levels have risen again so looks like I will have to make a conscious effort to reduce carbs a little bit more