Low Carb diet for a month, readings remain high

Rocksteady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in February. Since then I have been resident on this forum and as a result I have embarked on a low carb diet. I have been monitoring my readings since beginning of March. The readings have been ranging from 6 - 9. Based on all the readings my average has been 7.7 which is still high. I have been sticking to not more than 30g of Carbs per day. I have been going for walks at least 4 times per week. Walking 1 mile each time (this takes me 20 mins usually). I have tried jogging but felt it was a step too far considering my many years of leading a sedentary life style.
Weight appears to be coming off and has lost 4kg so far. I am now 114kg in weight. On a typical day I eat 3 pork sausages with 99% meat or eggs for breakfast. Lunch is usually mackerel fish or leftover meat from night before. Evening meal is mostly brocolli, cabbage, sprouts and meat such as chicken or beef/pork. I have been snacking on Brazilian nuts, almonds and walnuts. sometimes I will have my nuts with double cream. I have at least 2 cups of coffee with double cream and lots of water through the day.

1)What could I do differently to improve my readings?

2)As most of the readings have been highest in the mornings, I am planning to fast for 15hrs. Idea is to have last meal at 7pm then fast till 10am the next morning. Those that have followed this kind of approach, has this made any difference in your readings?

3) I am also worried about loose skin if I loose too much weight too fast. Any tips on how to avoid excess loose skin

Thanking you all in advance for your contribution.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. Personally I'd drop a meal (breakfast would be my candidate) and cut out the nuts or at least include them as part of the meal.
Stick with the creamy coffee instead of the food.

2. yes intermittent fasting combined with very low carb seems to work well for most who do it.

3. Fasting seems to help with not getting too much loose skin. I have a bit but nowhere near as much as I expected after losing 8 stones.

Reactions: CotswoldsBloke

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry that you've not quite got the results you were expecting but well done on eating so well for quite a while.
I would focus on giving your insulin levels a break by fasting and overnight is easiest. You could also eat a little more fat and protein at mealtimes and reduce the nuts. Even if they are a great food they can still jack up your insulin levels and every time you do this your body will be inhibited from burning body fat.
Doing some weights work may help your muscles become more insulin sensitive. Running won't particularly help unless you like it! You could try a quick sprint in between lamp posts (30 seconds) then walk for 1 minute to recover. That can really help your metabolism and help muscles far better than marathon training (think of a sprinters' physique versus that of a long distance runner).
All of the suggestions are tweaks but together they could make a difference.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those figures for finger-prick average are actually good and the next HBA1C should also be good. You diet seems to be very good so I would just keep on doing what you are doing and ensure you have enough fats and proteins

Reactions: ert

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you start reading wise?

If you were very insulin resistant it takes some time to get things where you want them. Other than a few tweaks you’re doing really well and perhaps need to realise it took more than a month to become t2 and it’ll take more than a month to get normal or near normal figures.

Keep going and recognise how much you have achieved so far. A total diet overhaul, more exercise, 4kg weight shifted and a new mind set.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in February.
What was your hba1c on diagnosis? Ranging between 6 and 9 isn't too bad, depending on your starting point!

Rocksteady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. Personally I'd drop a meal (breakfast would be my candidate) and cut out the nuts or at least include them as part of the meal.
Stick with the creamy coffee instead of the food.

2. yes intermittent fasting combined with very low carb seems to work well for most who do it.

3. Fasting seems to help with not getting too much loose skin. I have a bit but nowhere near as much as I expected after losing 8 stones.
Thanks for responding. Will be skipping breakfast and cut down on the nuts.
Many thanks

Reactions: Oldvatr

Rocksteady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry that you've not quite got the results you were expecting but well done on eating so well for quite a while.
I would focus on giving your insulin levels a break by fasting and overnight is easiest. You could also eat a little more fat and protein at mealtimes and reduce the nuts. Even if they are a great food they can still jack up your insulin levels and every time you do this your body will be inhibited from burning body fat.
Doing some weights work may help your muscles become more insulin sensitive. Running won't particularly help unless you like it! You could try a quick sprint in between lamp posts (30 seconds) then walk for 1 minute to recover. That can really help your metabolism and help muscles far better than marathon training (think of a sprinters' physique versus that of a long distance runner).
All of the suggestions are tweaks but together they could make a difference.
Will certainly incorporate the sprints and see what happens. However my sprint is probably what most folk would class as a jog. Willing to try most things.
Many thanks for the response.

Rocksteady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Those figures for finger-prick average are actually good and the next HBA1C should also be good. You diet seems to be very good so I would just keep on doing what you are doing and ensure you have enough fats and proteins
Many thanks for the enciuragement words. Will not give up.
Thanks

Rocksteady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you start reading wise?

If you were very insulin resistant it takes some time to get things where you want them. Other than a few tweaks you’re doing really well and perhaps need to realise it took more than a month to become t2 and it’ll take more than a month to get normal or near normal figures.

Keep going and recognise how much you have achieved so far. A total diet overhaul, more exercise, 4kg weight shifted and a new mind set.
I have only been taking readings since the 2nd of March. Will keep at it and see it will go. Many thanks for the response

Rocksteady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your hba1c on diagnosis? Ranging between 6 and 9 isn't too bad, depending on your starting point!
Hba1c was 50. Been on this low carb for a month now. Hoping to to have it going in the desired direction when I go for my next check.

Reactions: Antje77

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hba1c was 50. Been on this low carb for a month now. Hoping to to have it going in the desired direction when I go for my next check.
HbA1c of 50 is only just above prediabetes which is 42 to 48 , converted to finger prick testing to 8.1 so not much reduction yet .
Testing first thing in morning after getting up is not the best reading due to dawn phenomenon, it’s best to leave first test till about 2 hours after getting out of bed before eating. Dawn phenomenon is when your liver dumps glucose into your blood overnight.
Are you on any medication, metformin reduces the liver dump but can cause some bowl irritation.
I take minimum dose of extended release version and have gradually got used to it .
I also eat more carbs than 30 and have got my levels down but maybe 1 month is not long enough to judge if diet is working yet .
I have been a member for just less than a year and this forum has been a great help.
Good luck and keep it up

Reactions: Speedbird

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I would second the suggestion to cut down/out the nuts. Some people find that some types of carbs 'punch above their weight' that is the effect on the blood sugar is higher than you may expect for that amount of carbs. With that in mind I'd suggest substituting the nits to see if that helps. I also agree that cutting out breakfast and replacing it with creamy coffee may help.

Good luck.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Will certainly incorporate the sprints and see what happens. However my sprint is probably what most folk would class as a jog. Willing to try most things.
When I say sprint it is indeed a relative term! Think maximum effort rather than Usssain Bolt) . You should be unable to speak in fluent sentences (probably swearing at my advice) when you try.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from eating lunch and dinner to a meal every 12 yours after seeing the blood glucose tests alter in a week and go on dropping.
I don't know why, but it might be interesting to compare results for yourself. It certainly save me a lot of effort.