Type 1 Mood swings

Dad2type1

Hi my daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 but she gets really angry now over the smallest thing , is this normal?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Probably particularly if bg is not under control…

Family and work colleagues have told me they know when I’m high as my mood changes a lot

When chatting to my mum I can get quite ‘snappy’ with her when my bg is high

Work said they have had other diabetics that can get angry easily

Or it could be general anger at being diagnosed

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 but she gets really angry now over the smallest thing , is this normal?
Is she having high blood levels?
I know I am type 2 but when my levels were high I was an absolute nightmare and my dad was the same, you could always tell he was in hyper. It was like being wound up too tight

So different conditions but hyper I imagine similar effects

Reactions: searley

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Is she having high blood levels?
I know I am type 2 but when my levels were high I was an absolute nightmare and my dad was the same, you could always tell he was in hyper. It was like being wound up too tight

So different conditions but hyper I imagine similar effects

I’m T1 and hyper gives me mood swings

Last edited:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It was just before she was due to eat , so I don’t know if that had something to do with it ,
I’m type 2 and not on insulin but if my sugars are in the up (say at xmas) and I’m eating more things I shouldn’t I get really moody and emotional. Burst into tears at a seconds notice and am super angry.
Having said that I can also get very angry and testy and emotional if my sugars go into the 4s.
It could also be the I justice if being diagnosed and trying to understand it all

Reactions: oldgreymare

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Type 1 here and I have a saying about myself ! What’s the difference between a terrorist and Mark ( that’s me ) with a high blood sugar , Answer your can reason with a terrorist. I’m a night mare when I’m high , Varying blood sugar levels are notorious for moods swings and seeing as your daughter is recently diagnosed it’s not surprising that she has mood swings .
It does get easier as blood control gets tighter and less varied , my mum told me I just let you vent as I knew it wasn’t the normal me .

Dad2type1

Her mum is finding it hard to see her act like that as it’s not her normal, but we know it’s not her fault , I just wish it went away, or I’ll wake up and it will be a bad dream

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Her mum is finding it hard to see her act like that as it’s not her normal, but we know it’s not her fault , I just wish it went away, or I’ll wake up and it will be a bad dream

It should get easier as time goes by and control gets better, and she can start trying to live life as a normal 11 year old

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was just before she was due to eat , so I don’t know if that had something to do with it ,

Hi,

I'm more the quiet broody type when high. Prefer just time to myself? We're happily married, but when my wife feels more social I can be a bit "not tonight dear."

Had your daughter been back to school? Not shure when she was diagnosed, but the whole thing could have been a bit full on?
What were her BGs at this point?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was just before she was due to eat , so I don’t know if that had something to do with it
Anger or foul moods can come with low blood glucose as well. It may be worth testing when her behaviour is off, as it can be a symptom.
How old is your daughter?

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t know if it’s entirely that, but I have been feeling down, on edge recently in conjunction with higher blood sugar levels.
I’m Sure it does have an effect , hope your daughter feels better soon:)

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Well. It’s always a little unnerving when we are different. And we are- people will look at us differently, they will treat us differently, we have to do things differently, and we’d probably all prefer to be normal just like anyone else. And we can’t be normal.

I feel for this person. I would also like to be normal and not different. Let this person know they are not alone. There are others like her.