Hot Tubs and Pumps

kls5708

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I am hoping to, if covid allows, go on a hot tub weekend with some friends later this year.

My fear is disconnecting my pump. I have often read that you can disconnect for an hour and then Bolus for your missed basal.

But after this when can I go back in?

is it a case of check sugars go in for an hour come out take insulin and go back on?

I am a new pump user and bringing it into ‘real’ life is quite daunting. I am well managed but this would ease my mind knowing how to operate.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
If you still have a pen might be easier to use that for the day

Reactions: kls5708

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have a tubey pump, you can disconnect, reconnect, bolus, disconnect, reconnect, bolus, disconnect, reconnect, bolus, etc . There is no limit to how many times you can disconnect, reconnect and bolus missing basal as many times as you want.
I have had a spa day and done this with no problem.

Changing to pens for a day is more hassle.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you still have a pen might be easier to use that for the day
From experience, I disagree about switching to a pen for a day.
However you make a very good point about having pens. It is very important to have pens with in date insulin as a back up if a pump fails.
But only when a pump fails as returning to pens is a pain, especially on a day when you may want to adjust your basal because your day is different to usual.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
The hot tub itself might be very relaxing. And the hot water might get your body moving without doing anything. So in the end, you might actually go lo afterwards. Check your bs before just blindly doing a correction dose- you might not need it.

kls5708

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The hot tub itself might be very relaxing. And the hot water might get your body moving without doing anything. So in the end, you might actually go lo afterwards. Check your bs before just blindly doing a correction dose- you might not need it.

Thanks for the reply. This is what I was thinking seeing as a hot bath can bring blood sugars down too.

I have lots to think about and great hearing from others.

kls5708

Type of diabetes
Type 1
From experience, I disagree about switching to a pen for a day.
However you make a very good point about having pens. It is very important to have pens with in date insulin as a back up if a pump fails.
But only when a pump fails as returning to pens is a pain, especially on a day when you may want to adjust your basal because your day is different to usual.

Ideally I would want to stay on the pump rather than switch to the pen for a day

It’s great to hear that you managed this with no problems.

Reactions: In Response