Stress spike

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Proof that stress spikes bg.
Yesterday I was having a normal pleasant day, had frittata for lunch about 12:00 then a bit of gardening that raised my bg slightly.
Then at 4pm had a phone call about a family emergency. Realised I had to travel and probably would miss dinner so packed an emergency nut bar and left home , thinking it would an opportunity to fast, as fasting is good and lowers bg levels, right?
All I had between 4 pm and 4 am was half a litre of water and half the nut bar.
Look Screenshot_20210320-090910_copy_270x585.jpg at my bg.
I havent been that high since cup cakes on VE day last year.
Proof perfect that stress is bad for bg
(Hoping emergency now resolved, sort of!)
And glad I have space in my averages for the unexpected

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep, stress definitely spikes BG. I got a phone call
Last Tuesday from the vets to say my dog had died while with them. 3hrs later with absolutely no food I was upto 16mmol, for a day or two after soon as I got emotional about it I would spike straight to 15/16

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear about your dog @Maco , I lost mine last June.

Yep, oddly I noticed a few spikes on the graph coinciding with dealing with a rather intense line manager at an engineering company.
Lol, my collegues thought i was really calm with the guy.

It also seems to explain why i have rarely had a low whilst driving too..

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: BRSBRI

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with this too... I remember reading an article that suggested that stress releases cortisol which is the villain.

@Maco really sorry to hear about your dog. Recently my dog had a limp after a long walk and even that slight limp for Magic shot my BG high so I can imagine the pain and stress you must be undergoing. Its a loss not everyone can relate to or empathise with which only makes matters worse. Do take care. Best of luck.

Reactions: Maco

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Same here, stress really spikes me. I also get stressed out pretty easily. Looking back, my stressful job was probably a major contributor to me getting diabetes, disastrous when combined with the wrong diet. So I’m considering retirement.

but I can’t go through life avoiding stress, I need to learn to deal with it. This is something I really need to work on.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes stress definitely spikes and I think it's worse than food spikes for me! I haven't seen any evidence while wearing a sensor, but out of curiosity i did once do a finger prick test right after an argument, and it was the highest I'd ever recorded. But I reckon most of my higher HbA1c results are from when I've been ill, in pain, or very stressed - worse than any "naughty" eating.

@Maco I'm so sorry to hear about your doggy loss. I'm a long time dog owner and have had to have three of my older dogs put to sleep from serious health issues, and it's an awful feeling, but I can't imagine how devastated I'd have felt if I'd not been there with them.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stress plays havoc for me sugar wise and have been struggling hugely, looking for ways to manage it over the last few months. My previously fit mother died 3 weeks ago from a nasty rapid cancer diagnosed in November, the stress and how it affects me sugar wise aside from the usual expected emotional turmoil I'm finding unbelievably hard. Funeral is tomorrow, I can only hope it becomes a little easier after. There are very few strategies on how to manage for type 1's at these times and sadly we'll all have them occasionally, just get through it, it'll pass I suppose but it’s hard work coping!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stress plays havoc for me sugar wise and have been struggling hugely, looking for ways to manage it over the last few months. My previously fit mother died 3 weeks ago from a nasty rapid cancer diagnosed in November, the stress and how it affects me sugar wise aside from the usual expected emotional turmoil I'm finding unbelievably hard. Funeral is tomorrow, I can only hope it becomes a little easier after. There are very few strategies on how to manage for type 1's at these times and sadly we'll all have them occasionally, just get through it, it'll pass I suppose but it’s hard work coping!
Thank you for nice hugs, much needed and appreciated. X

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Proof that stress spikes bg.
Yesterday I was having a normal pleasant day, had frittata for lunch about 12:00 then a bit of gardening that raised my bg slightly.
Then at 4pm had a phone call about a family emergency. Realised I had to travel and probably would miss dinner so packed an emergency nut bar and left home , thinking it would an opportunity to fast, as fasting is good and lowers bg levels, right?
All I had between 4 pm and 4 am was half a litre of water and half the nut bar.
Look View attachment 48221 at my bg.
I havent been that high since cup cakes on VE day last year.
Proof perfect that stress is bad for bg
(Hoping emergency now resolved, sort of!)
And glad I have space in my averages for the unexpected
Yes I had a phone call to say my husband may not make it the night as he was in ICU having been sedated due to Covid, after 21 days he is home and recovering, but my level on going to bed that night was 31.3

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who finds stress is bad for the levels. So much so for me that I have resigned from my very stressful job. I have another week and a bit to go- still feeling very stressed but even the decision and then resigning has helped my levels. I just decided that my health meant I needed a different job. It is scary at my age mid 50s as I'm worried about whether I can do my new job. I was also worried I wouldn't be able to get another job- I have got one so hopefully it will be less stressful.