I'd like to drink a beer...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only two I can remember were the Holsten Pils which I still buy occasionally and another one called Marston low C which I haven't seen for years !
Holsten Pils is 2.6g of carbs per 100ml so 11.44g per 440ml can or 13g per the usual 500ml. It is at the lower end of most normal beers but not really low carb. Doesn't stop me drinking it though.

Reactions: KK123

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in Croatia, I didn't find any yet. But I'll ask the owner of my favourite beer place (if they ever open again), maybe he can get some, as they sell lots of imported beer... We'll see, for now I'll settle with regular :rolleyes:
I have had some excellent Croatian beer in the past....I have to order Resolution from the brewer, as no-one seems to stock it. The brewer also seems very reluctant to promote the product which is strange given the current (non-diabetic) fad for "low-carb" diets.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If it is the "cut" you miss, I used to have Guiness, then sparkling water can get you halfway there. I have settled on Waitrose own brand, seems to keep the fizz for a longer time, and sometimes I squeeze lemon / lime into it - not exactly the same but an option.

Rocksteady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Followed this thread with keen interest. Currently trying to reduce my hba1c level to lower 40s. I also look forward to a drink if I manage to hit the target. Holsten Pils will be my weapon of choice.

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I drank another beer maybe 3-4 dcl (2/3 of a pint) and peaked at 6.5 after dinner with some Humalog flowing around me... I must share my happiness with you, as people around me don't get it really :cool:
I thought I'll never taste beer again and it seems it'll not be the case... :woot:

Reactions: EllieM and UK T1

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cider makes my blood sugars sky high but beer is fine. I can drink most alcohol and have several drinks with no problems. Guess I'm lucky in that respect. Just I have to be really careful what I eat as then my blood sugars quickly climb up.

Reactions: JustLucky

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had some excellent Croatian beer in the past....I have to order Resolution from the brewer, as no-one seems to stock it. The brewer also seems very reluctant to promote the product which is strange given the current (non-diabetic) fad for "low-carb" diets.
ive just checked the marsdens website and the online delivery is closed..the resolution says 88 calories but do you know how many carbs? and does it taste okay...cheers!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ive just checked the marsdens website and the online delivery is closed..the resolution says 88 calories but do you know how many carbs? and does it taste okay...cheers!
There should be a link through to the Wychwood website - I'll add it at the bottom. I need tp order some myself. If memory serves there are 3.5g carb per 275ml bottle of Marston's Resolution. It might be 3.25g, in that region. As to taste, it's by some way the best low-carb beer I've tried. Experimentation has included American "light" beers, Skinny Lager, Michelob Ultra - all of which to my mind are watery and gassy. Skinny lager is positively unpleasant and Michelob manages to taste of nothing at all. Resolution at least tastes like beer - it's not the best beer ever, far from it, but it does the job. And the carb load of four bottles of Resolution roughly equals one 440ml can of Holsten Pils.

Link to the Wychwood online shop:
https://www.wychwood.co.uk/shop/page/2/

24 x 275ml bottles for £19, delivery to be added, but they do free delivery over a given amount. EDIT: no free delivery anymore. I think that might have been when ordering direct from Marston's. Courier delivery from Wychwood (to Yorkshire) is £11 something, so substantial. I order in bulk.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustLucky