Irritable bowl syndrome

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any diabetic tried over the counter medicines for IBS that worked for them?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any diabetic tried over the counter medicines for IBS that worked for them?
Have you had this diagnosed? I mention because a type 1 friend had to see a consultant before her symptoms were diagnosed correctly as gastroparesis causing delayed gastric emptying, and consequently mis timed insulin dosing issues as well as the tummy problems that often get labelled as ibs...

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I haven’t been diagnosed yet, I am also a type 1 and was taking metformin too.. I was thinking the bloating and wind issue is due to that but they have changed me to a slower release metformin so it’s made a huge difference but I still have issues.. I can completely stop taking metformin because I was insulin resistant few years back which made thing much worse.. maybe I should ask my gp to send me for some tests, but there’s not much information about it online as in how it’s tested etc and treatment

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@m786xxx have you had a recent test for coeliac disease? It should be part of your annual review, as 10% of Type 1 diabetics also have CD. Sometimes it is misdiagnosed as IBS.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kefir is good for IBS. I believe now they'll only diagnose IBS when everything else has been ruled out to make sure it's nothing more serious, I've suffered for years but GPs have been reluctant to diagnose, presumably because lots of tests would be involved to rule the other stuff out and I imagine that's pretty pricey for the NHS.