Pump sites

steveo4

I have been having major issues with my pump sites. The only place where my insulin is absorbed well is when I insert the cannula in my arm, the control is then good. When I insert the cannula in other parts of my body I get high blood sugar readings as I get insulin stacking up on my pump. Any ideas what I can try?

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
What cannula length and type are you using? Changing to something else might be the solution. Unless you’re on Omnipod, which you cannot change.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently changed from a 6mm set to a 9mm set. It made a big difference - much more consistent results.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What cannula length and type are you using? Changing to something else might be the solution. Unless you’re on Omnipod, which you cannot change.
Or any other patch pump. There is more than just OmniPod available with out tubes

Reactions: Jollymon

steveo4

I'm thinking of trying different cannulas I'm using 8mm but might try 10mm and see if things improve. Just one thing I don't understand is why I get better control using my arms than when I use other parts of my body.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm thinking of trying different cannulas I'm using 8mm but might try 10mm and see if things improve. Just one thing I don't understand is why I get better control using my arms than when I use other parts of my body.
Could it be the amount of fat on your arms is different to other places?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I'm the same, think its to do with movement and then this causing improved absorption. You waist does not move to the extent your arms do. BTW I've changed to 9mm from 6mm and had a good improvement, now having to tweek / reduce basal levels :)