3 Month Update - Halved HBA1c

Smileypigface

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Thank you so much for all the help and advice on here - the dietary info and general support is fantastic and has really helped me get into a positive mindset and make the changes I needed to make.

I've just been back to the doctors 3 months after my T2 diagnosis. Blood test results are in - my HBA1c has gone from 91 to 43 - wahooo - I'm thrilled with this. I'm taking 3 x metformin a day and have made huge changes to my way of eating. I've lost just over 11kg so far - work in progress, I still need to lose lots more - and have started walking daily - from just about no steps to near enough 10K a day.

The doctor was a bit sniffy about the fact that I've been monitoring my BG - that seems to be a common reaction from GPs looking at posts on here. But I'm so pleased I have been - it's helped keep me on the 'straight and narrow' with my new way of eating (very low carb). She was also fairly dismissive of my reasons for not taking the statins she prescribed for my cholesterol.

So, onwards and upwards - I feel like I'm on a good road with my way of eating which I plan to stick to for life now (I'm 53) - my next challenge is to tweak the fats to try and reduce my cholesterol.

I know it's still early days but I'm feeling really positive right now. Thanks again for all the info ... zipping over to the cholesterol threads now to work out how to improve that.

Thanks again.

Reactions: CotswoldsBloke

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Thank you so much for all the help and advice on here - the dietary info and general support is fantastic and has really helped me get into a positive mindset and make the changes I needed to make.

I've just been back to the doctors 3 months after my T2 diagnosis. Blood test results are in - my HBA1c has gone from 91 to 43 - wahooo - I'm thrilled with this. I'm taking 3 x metformin a day and have made huge changes to my way of eating. I've lost just over 11kg so far - work in progress, I still need to lose lots more - and have started walking daily - from just about no steps to near enough 10K a day.

The doctor was a bit sniffy about the fact that I've been monitoring my BG - that seems to be a common reaction from GPs looking at posts on here. But I'm so pleased I have been - it's helped keep me on the 'straight and narrow' with my new way of eating (very low carb). She was also fairly dismissive of my reasons for not taking the statins she prescribed for my cholesterol.

So, onwards and upwards - I feel like I'm on a good road with my way of eating which I plan to stick to for life now (I'm 53) - my next challenge is to tweak the fats to try and reduce my cholesterol.

I know it's still early days but I'm feeling really positive right now. Thanks again for all the info ... zipping over to the cholesterol threads now to work out how to improve that.

Thanks again.
Excellent results, well done! :)

Reactions: Smileypigface

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Thanks again.

Get yourself over to that cholesterol thread...you might be surprised....VERY well done!!!!!

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done!

It's very gratifying isn't it.

How old was the GP, just as a matter of interest? Hopefully that attitude is dying out. The only GP I've spoken to since diagnosis last March (I usually get to see the nurse, and have only seen her twice given all the virus stuff) was a young, new one and she was fascinated by my methods/results and joked that I should be running classes for her other T2 patients...

Smileypigface

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

It's very gratifying isn't it.

How old was the GP, just as a matter of interest? Hopefully that attitude is dying out. The only GP I've spoken to since diagnosis last March (I usually get to see the nurse, and have only seen her twice given all the virus stuff) was a young, new one and she was fascinated by my methods/results and joked that I should be running classes for her other T2 patients...

Thank you - yes, I feel quite elated at the moment.

The GP is about my age (early 50s) - she qualified in UK but moved to NZ many years ago. (I live in NZ)

I have my first appointment at the diabetic clinic next week so I’m pleased I’ve had the opportunity to make changes ahead of that appointment so I can ‘prove’ the validity of the approach I’ve taken - It will be interesting to find out their view on things. One of my aims was to have a good go at addressing my T2 situation with minimal drugs - so I’m hoping they will be on-side with no more drugs required.

Smileypigface

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another 3 months down the line .....

I’ve just had my next 3-monthly check and I’m very pleased that my weight loss is now at 17kg (slow but sure) and my HBA1c is now down to 40.

The doctor has suggested I reduce to 1 x metformin a day (taking 3 a day currently). Also, all talk of statins has evaporated as my Triglycerides are now down to 1.5.

Very pleased with all that - onwards with the next 3 months to see what else I can achieve

Reactions: KennyA and Jo123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I’ve just had my next 3-monthly check and I’m very pleased that my weight loss is now at 17kg (slow but sure) and my HBA1c is now down to 40.

The doctor has suggested I reduce to 1 x metformin a day (taking 3 a day currently). Also, all talk of statins has evaporated as my Triglycerides are now down to 1.5.

Very pleased with all that - onwards with the next 3 months to see what else I can achieve
Excellent news all round.. well done you!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Great news on the HBA1c
Also spotted the trigs . Double congratulations

I never looked at bloods lipids before until DX. And while the LCHF seems a given, still great to be kind of "managing" the blood enough to call off the statin police

A Splendid "Well Done" for you :)