Long Covid. A support thread for those who take a while to recover from Covid-19

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It all depends on where you are - some places can be contacted by you, others not. But if you're managing to keep you blood glucose levels around 5.4, you're doing pretty well meantime. How are your covid symptoms going? The fatigue is difficult to deal with, so, as I'm sure you've been told, it's best to pace yourself and not let yourself get too tired. Easier said than done!

Reactions: Andie79

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My situation was slightly different. I was diagnosed on lockdown day (the first one!) and had one phone call then. I then kept calling intermittently asking for a second test to confirm and finally got an appointment for 3 months later. That result too was just a phone call. For my years check I phoned 5 times at different times of the day until I got a different receptionist who booked me in. 11 months to the day until I first saw a DN. By the I had virtually got into remission myself

I do recommend try, try trying again, different times of different days to get an appointment. Our surgery now respond better to requests for appointments via their website than phone.
Don't give up, your situation is much more serious than mine was.
It is a bit of a lottery but stick with it.
Good luck

Reactions: Andie79

Andie79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It all depends on where you are - some places can be contacted by you, others not. But if you're managing to keep you blood glucose levels around 5.4, you're doing pretty well meantime. How are your covid symptoms going? The fatigue is difficult to deal with, so, as I'm sure you've been told, it's best to pace yourself and not let yourself get too tired. Easier said than done!
Am not too sure about the process really. I have found out the diabetes nurse is there on a Monday and Friday.. but that was only because I asked if they could up the amount of test strips I was prescribed as only get 100 (2pots) and need more than that.. I got told I had to request the change from my diabetes nurse so asked when she was in and they emailed me back saying I’d have to phone and book an appointment. They have a sign on the door saying they know they can’t answer all the calls.. and when I went in said no pre bookable ones available. rhe fatigue.. well I think I’ve just got used to it.. my hair is coming out at quite a pace.. got advised by online gp to take iron and vitamin D so got some of that.

Andie79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My situation was slightly different. I was diagnosed on lockdown day (the first one!) and had one phone call then. I then kept calling intermittently asking for a second test to confirm and finally got an appointment for 3 months later. That result too was just a phone call. For my years check I phoned 5 times at different times of the day until I got a different receptionist who booked me in. 11 months to the day until I first saw a DN. By the I had virtually got into remission myself

I do recommend try, try trying again, different times of different days to get an appointment. Our surgery now respond better to requests for appointments via their website than phone.
Don't give up, your situation is much more serious than mine was.
It is a bit of a lottery but stick with it.
Good luck
Thank you.. I was on an insulin pump until the day before I was discharged.. for first few days/week home was 19 or so.. until the steroids left my system.. I had a crash course in injecting and was on my way home. My numbers are lower now.. but would just like to know I’m doing the right thing/heading in the right direction. If I need to change how I’m doing things I’d rather know sooner than later.
I will persist with trying to get through. Problem is I’m on conference calls most of the day so can’t really sir on hold.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am not too sure about the process really. I have found out the diabetes nurse is there on a Monday and Friday.. but that was only because I asked if they could up the amount of test strips I was prescribed as only get 100 (2pots) and need more than that.. I got told I had to request the change from my diabetes nurse so asked when she was in and they emailed me back saying I’d have to phone and book an appointment. They have a sign on the door saying they know they can’t answer all the calls.. and when I went in said no pre bookable ones available. re fatigue.. well I think I’ve just got used to it.. my hair is coming out at quite a pace.. got advised by online gp to take iron and vitamin D so got some of that.
I lost a lot of hair after Covid too. What was left was brittle and broke easily. Hair grows in trimesters, so it will be a while before it recovers. 8 months after Covid mine started to show signs of growing again. A year after Covid my hair is in good condition and as thick as it has ever been.
The best vitamin D supplement to take is vitamin D3 with vitamin K2, to ease absorption. My chiropractor told me that A supplement of B vitamins would be a good idea too.

jennyjane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike cruelty to children and animals and all living creatures. Also, I dislike bullies, extreme modern art and architecture, supermarket and shop music that is unmelodic
I have been mulling over whether to start this thread for weeks. Much is said here about the risks of dying of Covid being quite low, but not a lot has been said about life after Covid. After receiving lovely support from a poster on another thread yesterday I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and start a thread for those of us who haven't recovered quickly from the illness.

I had Covid-19 back in March and am still struggling. After the 35 days of coughing passed, I declared I was getting over it. How wrong was I?! I still have fatigue, breathlessness, tired limbs, muscle pains, joint pains and my brain just doesn't work as well as it used to. As for BGs, they aren't great either, but I admit I haven't had the energy to test regularly or do anything about them. I was a well controlled T2 before having the virus. I suspect that post Covid my T2 is always going to be a lot harder to control.

Anyhow, enough about me, over to you. How are you? And how are you coping? Let's share our experiences here and maybe we can help one another. :)

Edit: I have put this thread in the T2 section as I am T2 myself, but please feel free to use this thread if you have another type of diabetes alongside Long Covid, I never meant it to be exclusively for T2s. We're in this together. :)

I had Covid on 27 December and really thought I had the flu as I had no breathing difficulties and although I had a cough it only happened infrequently and I had always suffered with coughing problems before.
But I eventually realised that I had Covid as I had a fuzzy brain, runny/stuffed up nose, purple big toe and rash on leg near ankle. The toe problem is not a well known symptom and is callee "Covid toe". You can see full details of this if you google same, together with very good photos. I have still got this toe problem three months later. However, at the moment it has not caused many problems only the occasional jab of pain but the toe next to it has become infected as well and this is as bright pink colour!

Wonderful news, I heard on the news today that they are developing as pill in American that if one takes it at the early signs of Covid it will stop it in its tracks! This needs trials before it is released onto the market.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had Covid on 27 December and really thought I had the flu as I had no breathing difficulties and although I had a cough it only happened infrequently and I had always suffered with coughing problems before.
But I eventually realised that I had Covid as I had a fuzzy brain, runny/stuffed up nose, purple big toe and rash on leg near ankle. The toe problem is not a well known symptom and is callee "Covid toe". You can see full details of this if you google same, together with very good photos. I have still got this toe problem three months later. However, at the moment it has not caused many problems only the occasional jab of pain but the toe next to it has become infected as well and this is as bright pink colour!

Wonderful news, I heard on the news today that they are developing as pill in American that if one takes it at the early signs of Covid it will stop it in its tracks! This needs trials before it is released onto the market.
Yes I had a rash on my big toe and another near my knee. That was a very mild symptom for me though.

Andie79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I lost a lot of hair after Covid too. What was left was brittle and broke easily. Hair grows in trimesters, so it will be a while before it recovers. 8 months after Covid mine started to show signs of growing again. A year after Covid my hair is in good condition and as thick as it has ever been.
The best vitamin D supplement to take is vitamin D3 with vitamin K2, to ease absorption. My chiropractor told me that A supplement of B vitamins would be a good idea too.
Thank you! I’ve got some vitamin D but will get some of the other bits too!.. it’s nice to know that it will settle down and recover! I have (or had) really thick hair so it’s nice to know it will make a re-appearance

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I contracted Covid back in mid December I only started to feel myself in Feb. Had the Astra jab and it’s put me back it’s like I’m having to start recovery all over again. I had tests as I thought it was low vit or iron but turns out I’m still fatigued from Covid. The jab unfortunately put me 10 steps back. I take vit c & d every morning and I will start some vit b I think. My hair is very dry, nails are brittle etc. You will get there but it takes time. I have started walking during the day that helped me get my blood sugars down.

As soon as they started to lower I started to feel a lot better. But it takes some work. Making sure you are drinking a lot of water each day, taking vits everyday, eating foods that won’t spike your sugars and try to walk or gradually very slowly try become more active.

It’s hard you feel like a broken each time someone asks how your feeling! The past few months has been hard for us diabetics (as well the whole world) but it is quite tough on us.
I really hope you start to feel better soon!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I thought long covid was gone having felt fine since January. Not so sure now, I'm very lethargic and my limbs are heavy and I am so tired. Going to bed early tonight. My heart has also gone out of rhythm again, just like all the other long covid episodes.
It could be that I am coming down with something else, but this feels 'covidy'.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I thought long covid was gone having felt fine since January. Not so sure now, I'm very lethargic and my limbs are heavy and I am so tired. Going to bed early tonight. My heart has also gone out of rhythm again, just like all the other long covid episodes.
It could be that I am coming down with something else, but this feels 'covidy'.

It does seem to be the case that long Covid can come back after it’s seemingly gone. I was recently diagnosed with it, having had what was presumed to be Covid in March 2020. I recovered but had several short (24-48 hour) relapses, the last of which (or so I thought) was at the end of October. However it came back with a vengeance at the start of February and I’ve been off work ever since. Seems to be slowly improving, but the unpredictability and persistence of the virus is quite hard to deal with. Not fun at all!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem to be the case that long Covid can come back after it’s seemingly gone. I was recently diagnosed with it, having had what was presumed to be Covid in March 2020. I recovered but had several short (24-48 hour) relapses, the last of which (or so I thought) was at the end of October. However it came back with a vengeance at the start of February and I’ve been off work ever since. Seems to be slowly improving, but the unpredictability and persistence of the virus is quite hard to deal with. Not fun at all!
Yes mine have been 48 hour relapses too. I hope this goes quickly too. My brain hasn't been right today. I asked hubby to help me cross the road and he thought I was joking.

Let's hope yours is on its way out for good now.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes mine have been 48 hour relapses too. I hope this goes quickly too. My brain hasn't been right today. I asked hubby to help me cross the road and he thought I was joking.

Let's hope yours is on its way out for good now.
I was doing quite well Jan to March, then I had my 1st vaccination and it seems to have set me back a bit.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just reviving this thread to say that there is an interesting article on long covid in this week’s Private Eye by their “MD”, Dr Phil Hammond.
Unfortunately he’s saying that that there is no consensus on how to treat long covid, apart from rest in the early stages and taking things slowly. Wish I knew that 18 months ago. Currently research indicates that there are around 200 symptoms attributed to LC affecting all parts of the body.
Long covid seems similar to ME/CFS and doctors don’t know how to treat them (that?) either.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Popping back here to post a very interesting article. It’s a very long read, but worth it in my opinion. I’ve now had a couple of appointments with the Long Covid clinic in my area - first by phone, which wasn’t helpful, then 3 months later (I got lost in the system), which was a couple of weeks ago, in person. The in person one was far more useful, with the doc seeming well informed and willing to experiment a bit with treatments (as am I).

https://www.mountainhomemag.com/2021/05/01/356270/the-drug-that-cracked-covid

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No chance of me being referred to a clinic, even if there was one available in my area. According to my GP, because my covid was not verified with a test (this was before testing existed) I don't count as having had it. Despite her agreement that I had covid and probably long covid. She is frustrated by this.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No chance of me being referred to a clinic, even if there was one available in my area. According to my GP, because my covid was not verified with a test (this was before testing existed) I don't count as having had it. Despite her agreement that I had covid and probably long covid. She is frustrated by this.
Same here :(

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
17 months on and, although I am mostly well, any extra exertion seems to tire me out for several days.