Low Carb Alternatives

C.flem88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I like to try and keep my meals as close to what my family are eating as possible, I just normally up the protein part of the meal but looking for carb alternatives.

I have tried cauliflower Rice and replaced mash potato with small amount of mashed swede. Someone also suggested trying celeriac chips and swapping to almond milk for my coffee.

Any others would be appreciated.

Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@C.flem88 your profile says you have Type 1. You CAN eat carbs with Type 1.
I continue to do so and maintain and sub-type 2 HbA1C. It is about learning how to dose for carbs rather than avoiding them. I regularly eat normal pasta (not reheated) and pizza and rice and potatoes. I can eat a large bowl of pasta with a cheese sauce and not see my blood sugars raise above 6. This has taken a lot of trial and error but it IS possible without cooking something different for me than my partner. There is no way he would eat cauli rice or mashed swede instead of potatoes and celreaic is not alloed in the house)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You CAN eat carbs with Type 1.

But it's not essential? There are no essential carbs.
The OP is asking for some alternatives so maybe they want to try low carb?

Anyway @C.flem88

I used to use leek strips to replace lasagne sheets or cabbage leaves.
Cauliflower mash can be a good replacement for spuds (my husbands nephews prefer it to potato) and roasted cauli is a "different" replacement for roast spuds especially with a curry butter glaze.
But more apposite why not just enjoy low carb veg as they are (or smothered in butter) and get the family to join you in eating the same way. They may gain some benefit from the carb reduction as well.

Reactions: jjraak

C.flem88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@C.flem88 your profile says you have Type 1. You CAN eat carbs with Type 1.
I continue to do so and maintain and sub-type 2 HbA1C. It is about learning how to dose for carbs rather than avoiding them. I regularly eat normal pasta (not reheated) and pizza and rice and potatoes. I can eat a large bowl of pasta with a cheese sauce and not see my blood sugars raise above 6. This has taken a lot of trial and error but it IS possible without cooking something different for me than my partner. There is no way he would eat cauli rice or mashed swede instead of potatoes and celreaic is not alloed in the house)

Yeah I do eat carbs and 90% of the time I can dose successfully for them ( odd occasions I have an extra slice of pizza or extra scoop of pasta)

I'm just looking to cut down on them to help lose weight. Depending on what I'm eating I can be taking upto 100 units of insulin a day so hoping to reduce this to <50 to aid weight loss.

I actually don't mind cauliflower Rice aslong as its with maybe a curry or has been season on its own its not very nice

Reactions: In Response

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You might try slices of cabbage about an inch thick, laid in a tray and then drizzled with olive oil and black pepper, or shake up a little curry powder in the oil then bake gently until soft and serve with ham or bacon, and eggs.
I cook swede under chickens or a joint - when I turn the meat over I drain off the juices so the swede is not submerged but has already gained a coating of the fats. The swede is in a tray with a grid over it for the meat to rest on.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
for weight loss you could just miss out the carbs all together, I often do.
Burgers get wrapped in lettuce leaves rather than buns.
Bolgnaise gets eaten with
a spoon rather than spaghetti
Curry is eaten without rice
Roast dinners without potatoes or yorkshires
Etc

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Attachments

• 1934CD47-5885-41E0-9443-107FCB85F4F6.jpeg
    1934CD47-5885-41E0-9443-107FCB85F4F6.jpeg
    486.6 KB · Views: 100

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really like cauliflower mash but I LOVE broccoli mash. Cook frozen broccoli until it’s soft. Drain well. Add lump of butter, salt and pepper and blitz with stick blender (or otherwise mash it). Delicious! From a Nigella Lawson recipe!
I don’t see much mention of Konjac rice and noodles on this forum but I quite like them too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first went low carb, I struggled to find low carb alternatives so my plate was ‘the same’ as the rest of the family, but eventually I just decided to leave out the carbs and have more meat and veg! The only low carb ‘carby like’ food I’ve retained is cauliflower rice, I love it stir fried and served with a curry, l prefer it to real rice anyway.

Reactions: Rach612 and jjraak

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Spiralised courgette for courgetti or slices of courgetti for lasagne - both good with Bolognese sauce.

Reactions: jjraak

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I make lasagna I use square slices of cheese instead of pasta sheets or you could even use just slices of turkey cold meat or whatever you like to separate the layers of mince - I then finish it of with mozzarella cheese on top - I must make some again soon ...

I have also made pizza making the base out of eggs and mozzarella cheese - just mix together, then put in frying pan as if making an omlette, let it cool down - then put your toppings on top and finish of under grill - I love cheese so actually prefer this to normal pizza base now