Dominic71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Wholemeal Sourdough bread,
Hi I am still trying to get to grips with my T2 diagnosis. I used to eat lots of bread before, especially when I was living in Spain. I have been on furlough since all this pandemic began and have had plenty of time to make breads, right up until 6 weeks ago when I got the news. On a morning I have been eating Hovis wholemeal toast for breakfast or a sandwich in the evening, hasn't affected my BGL really but I hate buying sliced bread, but have been reading that wholemeal sourdough should be okay to cook at home, and am also thinking that I could make pizza dough also without raising my BGL very much. Has anyone tried this or have an opinion on this? Thanks in advance.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bake and eat sourdough.
Unfortunately, I find the affect on my blood sugars is no different to un-soured dough. This is not a surprise to me because it contains as much flour.

thankfully, being Type 1, I am just able to take insulin to cover the carbs.

I have also tried sourdough pizza but prefer the unsoured recipe I use.

Reactions: Dominic71

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sourdough bread is made with wheat, wheat contains carbohydrate, when eaten carbohydrate turns to glucose. Having said that test before eating, 1Hr after eating and then two hours after eating. this will tell you what your body can cope with.
P.S I love sourdough bread but it sends my BG higher than I like so no bread.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread of any type spikes my BG unacceptably. Unfortunate for me. I'd rather not have the diabetes symptoms so I don't generally eat any bread (maybe a total of 2-3 times in the past year). It's that simple.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only your meter will tell you if it's still on the menu.
Bread doesn't spike me but pizza does.