Diarrhea

Maverick8

Hi There,
New to the group but really looking for some help and guidance.
Have been on Keto since September last year and have gone from 102kg now down to 83kg so very pleased. My goal is to reach 75kg.
My problem diarrhea, I’m seem to get long bouts of it and it’s really getting me down but I so want to stay on track to reach my goal.
My typical diet is as follows;
Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs
Lunch - Chicken salad with lettuce, Tom’s, avacado, etc
Dinner is anything low carb with veg.
I only drink black coffe
I usually drink around 2 - 3 Litres of juice made with concentrated squash as very low in sugar.
Any help and advice really would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Regards

Lewis

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Have you chatted to your doc about the bouts of diarrhoea? Did they start when you started keto, or have you had them previously?

From what you say they recur and there’s nothing obvious from the list of foods you’ve posted. There could be many explanations, including food intolerances.

Maverick8

Hi There,
Thanks for the reply, haven’t spoken with the Docs yet as the bouts come and go but recently seem to be getting worse, thought it could be the lack of fruit or dairy as in not a balanced diet but as I don’t know anyone else on keto thought I would try the forum

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome :)

you aren’t on Metformin, by any chance?

Maverick8

No, I’m on no medication, other than an upset stomach perfectly healthy.
The bit I don’t understand is that while I’ve been on Keto my energy levels have been generally good.
I cycle approx 60 - 70 miles a week plus various other keep fit workouts so I am assuming the diet is ok for me.
Should I take some pre / pro biotic ?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pro biotics might help. Personally too much dairy gives me the trots, so lack of it is unlikely to be the cause. Think it’s definitely worth further investigation, especially as you’re otherwise getting on with the way of eating.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Congratulations on the weight loss so far. Does the concentrated squash have an artificial sweetener added to it? This might be the source of the problem! Maybe try water instead?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd suspect the squash - in that amount.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Hi I found keeping a food diary helpful jotting down what you eat what time and any symptoms that way you are having such as diarrhea etc., this way you may be able to pin point exactly what you are consuming do this a couple of weeks which may help found the cause of your diarrhea.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Maverick8

Just to say I had to treat my own bout this week. What worked was using a large glass (1 pint) of water to which I added the juice of half a fresh lime and a pinch of salt. Did this a couple of times a day for a couple of days and it did the trick. At the very least it’d replace electrolytes you’re using, but it helped to shore things up too, without any other changes to my diet.