Why isn't my insulin working???!?!?!?!?!?

toner29

I am t1 have been for just over 3 years. In this time I have managed my diabetes really well. Recently I have noticed that my bs have been really quite high. I had put that down to Christmas/ NY eating/drinking and just tried to continually adjust dosages accordingly. However now I am back to my normal routine and my bs is still through the roof and adjusting doesn't seem to be helping. I have had to adjust twice alone this morning a total of 9 extra units of NovoRapid and I have only dropped from 22 to 17.

I have changed the pen to one that is brand new a couple of times now and it seems to be doing the same thing. Doctor is useless :evil: (shockingly enough) and is blaming diet etc, but my diet is fine.

HELP! :crazy:

Snodger

Hmm.
If it were me there are 4 things I'd consider
1) maybe over xmas it was the less exercisey, more foody regime that made it go up, and only this week is it still up because an infection is there in the background... but if you are feeling well and continue to feel well, that doesn't seem all that likely as you say.
2) maybe it isn't the pen, but a bad batch of short acting insulin. Perhaps change to a whole new packet with a different batch number, and see what happens. You aren't doing odd things with it like leaving it next to radiators, putting it in the freezer, or anything like that, I presume?
3) maybe it's a bad batch of long acting insulin. Are you waking up with the same level as you go to sleep with? Eg even if it's high, is it consistently high (17 at night, 17 on waking)? If so, the background's probably fine. But if it's rising in the night, it could be something wrong with the background insulin, or, see my next point...
4) maybe it's just your body changing its needs. That happens. Could be your liver's decided to up its output of background sugar, and so you need a bigger overall dose of background insulin.

Might be worth playing around with these ideas...?

toner29

Thanks, perhaps its a bad batch or maybe the background insulin needing to be increased as you say. Ive managed to get it down to 8 after 5 hours and an extra 12 units. Now for some lunch to ruin it all again lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As well as the points Snodger has raised it could be you have a problem with your injection sites..... do you alternate between sites?

Often when we are ill it can take a day or two for the symptoms to hit and this can often explain unusually high bg readings before this time, hope you get them down soon! :)

Fallenstar

Low grade infection with very few if any symptoms can bubble under for quiet some time and not come to anything and really effect BG control.
Try all the above first,it may be just one of those things and you may just have to nurse it along as you are doing with correction doses and be careful with diet for a bit. It has happened to me over the years hopefully it will settle and you will think what was all that about :***:
Have a word with your DSN if you really start to struggle..Hope it works out for you soon