Omnipod DASH delay in insulin processing with POD Change?

Dennis H

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello - this is my first time posting in any forum, please forgive any missed protocols. However, I have been an OMNIPOD user for the past 8 years or so and recently changed to OMNIPOD Dash. Since doing do (and I even had this problem on occasion with their other pods before I switched to DASH) I have found that the first six hours after I change my pod, my glucose rises for no reason and insulin I dose myself with seems to have no effect until after I have had the pod activated for at least 5-6 hours. My insulin is a relatively new bottle kept at room temperature and again, works fine after 6 hours on the new pod. I have used pods for years and believe I am installing them correctly.

Any thoughts on why this is happening to me and does anyone have any ideas how I can get this fixed?

Also, I signed up wrong, I am not a diabetes 'newbie' - I have had type I diabetes for 58 years and first checked my urine sugar levels by peeing in a test tube, dropping a tablet in the test tube, watching the combination react and compare the color of the solution to the posted colors on the tablet container.

I am not a newbie.... :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Dennis H

Welcome to the forums.

Your profile shows 'newbie' because you're new to the forums. You didn't sign up incorrectly. 'Newbie' changes to something like 'active member' automatically after you post a few times.

Can't help with the pump question - sorry. But there will be some other folks around later.

Regards
Urb'

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello - this is my first time posting in any forum, please forgive any missed protocols. However, I have been an OMNIPOD user for the past 8 years or so and recently changed to OMNIPOD Dash. Since doing do (and I even had this problem on occasion with their other pods before I switched to DASH) I have found that the first six hours after I change my pod, my glucose rises for no reason and insulin I dose myself with seems to have no effect until after I have had the pod activated for at least 5-6 hours. My insulin is a relatively new bottle kept at room temperature and again, works fine after 6 hours on the new pod. I have used pods for years and believe I am installing them correctly.

Any thoughts on why this is happening to me and does anyone have any ideas how I can get this fixed?

Also, I signed up wrong, I am not a diabetes 'newbie' - I have had type I diabetes for 58 years and first checked my urine sugar levels by peeing in a test tube, dropping a tablet in the test tube, watching the combination react and compare the color of the solution to the posted colors on the tablet container.

I am not a newbie.... :)
I never remove old pod until 3 hours after last Bolus . Like you I’ve had Diabetes a long time since 1966 age 4 .( Recall urine tests boiling syringe etc. ) Are your pod sites overused? This will affect absorption greatly .
I now have to rotate upper lower front, both arms outer right/ left arm and back. Have no other explanation for such a lapse in absorption. Occasionally pod may not apply properly. Best wishes hope this helps.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I am a newbie to insulin pump, 4 weeks tomorrow but type 1 for 30 years. I am using omnipod dash & have not came across a delay but do know occasionally there can be a batch fault. If the pods are all from the same pod you can return the pods & request replacements through customer services.
I am really struggling to get my BG levels pre pump. I know it will take time but becoming so frustrated & fed up.
How long does it take for things to settle?
Did you find you are much more sensitive to insulin than when on pens?
Look forward to any responses to give me hope

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a newbie to insulin pump, 4 weeks tomorrow but type 1 for 30 years. I am using omnipod dash & have not came across a delay but do know occasionally there can be a batch fault. If the pods are all from the same pod you can return the pods & request replacements through customer services.
I am really struggling to get my BG levels pre pump. I know it will take time but becoming so frustrated & fed up.
How long does it take for things to settle?
Did you find you are much more sensitive to insulin than when on pens?
Look forward to any responses to give me hope
Hi I recall it took time. Approx 6 weeks before noticeable change and feeling more confident as long as correct carbohydrate values BG added it’s all automatic . Yes I needed less insulin than with pen. With Basel set right you can go all day or for large portions of a day without food - but maybe to early yet. After a few months you will wonder how you managed without in the past. I also use Omnipod and Dash .

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi I recall it took time. Approx 6 weeks before noticeable change and feeling more confident as long as correct carbohydrate values BG added it’s all automatic . Yes I needed less insulin than with pen. With Basel set right you can go all day or for large portions of a day without food - but maybe to early yet. After a few months you will wonder how you managed without in the past. I also use Omnipod and Dash .
Thanks Heathero, much appreciated. I have set up a weekend basal rate reduction & will see if that helps with hypos. I think I need to use temporary basal rates more.
Thanks again.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Heathero, much appreciated. I have set up a weekend basal rate reduction & will see if that helps with hypos. I think I need to use temporary basal rates more.
Thanks again.
Yes I change mine particularly if exercising. Have 3 Basel programmes week - end and AM or PM exercise. So Basel is adjusted. Temporary Basel also useful or suspension of insulin if dropping / hypo quickly / and insulin on board.Try not to over-treat Hypo .

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Yes I change mine particularly if exercising. Have 3 Basel programmes week - end and AM or PM exercise. So Basel is adjusted. Temporary Basel also useful or suspension of insulin if dropping / hypo quickly / and insulin on board.Try not to over-treat Hypo .
Thanks a million. I've just finished a 7.5 mile walk successfully, just one 3.8. Reduced basal 50%!

Reactions: Heathero