Mans drink?

Fryo

I'm newly diagnosed type 2, I'm at a loss as to what to drink in summer, or on holiday, what are you men drinking instead of beer,larger or cider?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm a woman but what about whiskey? Or some wines- dry reds for example. Do either of these work for you. Tequila shots? not that I have those but just saying.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Alcohol is one of the areas where diabetics still have a lot of options. Beer is tricky, but spirits and dry wines are generally fine.

Reactions: jjraak and Fryo

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well last I checked drinks aren't specific to a sex so there's that. I assume you are looking for drinks that can be less impactful on blood sugars, so there are a few suggestions here:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

Note, alcohol can reduce your blood sugar levels anyway so be wary of that too. I'm not a big drinker anymore but Biggest issue I find if I drink is getting hungry and eating the wrong things

I hope you find some options

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm newly diagnosed type 2, I'm at a loss as to what to drink in summer, or on holiday, what are you men drinking instead of beer,larger or cider?
Beer is an occasional treat. If you're in the UK you might want to try Marston's Resolution - for a low-carb beer it is closest to the real thing and about 3g carbs per 275ml bottle. It is by no means the best beer you will have ever tasted, but at least it does taste like beer and not water. I order mine from Wychwood, never seen it in an offy or a supermarket. You can also have a look at this: https://getdrunknotfat.com/

Reactions: Carpetsalesman

CristyN29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See if you can handle beer, myself as a T1 that is in his youth and sometimes binge drinks at parties, I drink pretty much anything as long as I cover the carbs , but the safest treats are usually wines(rose works the best in my case) or liquors with diet coke. Keep in mind alcohol can lower your BG(not my case fortunately, its just the calculus) but if you're not on insulin or sylfonureas you should be safe about hypos.
My favorites are rum with diet pepsi cola with flavours( I love em, specially mango pepsi) or rose+sprite

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Best to avoid alcohol
In an ideal world perhaps, but there are some options that can be had by diabetics in moderation (although that applies to everyone!)

I rarely drink now, out of personal choice, but I know that it is enjoyed by many and offering suggestions for the least impact to help understand the risks and what to watch out for. We give up so much as diabetics and I think having something to treat ourselves keeps some of us going (I blow the carbs now and again) as if I look at myself as middle age, giving it up for the rest of my life, well... it can easily make you empathise with teenage rebellion (not that it’s age specific but it’s a cliche)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-alcohol.html

Reactions: VashtiB

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For a long drink I have my version of a spritzer.
Small portion of white wine in a pint glass then fill up with chilled sparkling water.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You've got that the wrong way round.....

I took your advice and had a pint of chilled white wine with a splash of sparkling water.
It was absolutely wonderful, and very refreshing.

Unfortunately they've now taken my licence away for 18 months but at least the Community Service will keep me active.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ice water. Add a slice of lemon or lime if you like those.
Unsweetened ice tea. As above, lemon or lime, sprig of mint ...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Gin & diet tonic. Vodka & Diet Pepsi or coke.

Now I have been wreckles in my yoof & as a T1 I could have a stab at "bolusing for it?"
When it comes to beer or dare I say it cocktails...

I prefer not to needlessly have insulin on board for alcoholic beverages.

I've never been scoffed at for my voddy & cokes. It used to be a band fave having a few scoops after a gig at our hotel...

Reactions: VashtiB