Best glucose monitor please

harryhonda

Good evening everyone hope you are ok

Please could anyone advise on a good glucose monitor I currently have the Agamatrix wavesense jazz but it is very unpredictable and the readings alter in a matter of seconds

It is very hard to read and understand the results

Many thanks for your help much appreciated

Kindest regards

Reactions: La'Raib

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used Accu_Chek Performa, Abbot's Freestyle Lite,and I now use a Contour Next. All of the meters have been accurate and easy to use and have got free from their websites.

They all have the ability to produce great charts of various readings, I got the Contour Next as it is bluetooth and I can export the data to my Samsung phone and tablet.

Reactions: harryhonda

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you self-fund the strips or do you get them on prescription?
This might change the answers you get, as the cost of teststrips is one to keep in mind.

Reactions: harryhonda

harryhonda

I have used Accu_Chek Performa, Abbot's Freestyle Lite,and I now use a Contour Next. All of the meters have been accurate and easy to use and have got free from their websites.

They all have the ability to produce great charts of various readings, I got the Contour Next as it is bluetooth and I can export the data to my Samsung phone and tablet.
Good evening

Thank you so very much for your help and advice greatly appreciated

I will take a look at those you mentioned

Will be purchasing the monitor myself

You take care and keep safe and well

x

harryhonda

Do you self-fund the strips or do you get them on prescription?
This might change the answers you get, as the cost of teststrips is one to keep in mind.
Thank you again sweetheart yes I will be buying the monitor and the test strips.

Thank you so much for your help and advice

Have a lovely rest of your evening x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And don't forget to tell them that you are diagnosed diabetic so you don't have to pay VAT.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Mine is type 2 due to the medication I was on for 20 years is it only free for type 1

It's free if you are on insulin or another drug which can induce hypoglycemia. A few GPs will prescribe it for new T2s, but most don't (cost cutting measure by the NHS).

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is type 2 due to the medication I was on for 20 years is it only free for type 1: sweetheart

Many thanks x
I am a T2 (type two) diabetic and I have always got a free one from the names I mentioned.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Home Health have recently bought out the Gluco Navii, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Disclaimer, I haven’t used the discount codes that I have quoted recently so I don’t know if they are still current.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

pinkjude

Good evening everyone hope you are ok

Please could anyone advise on a good glucose monitor I currently have the Agamatrix wavesense jazz but it is very unpredictable and the readings alter in a matter of seconds

It is very hard to read and understand the results

Many thanks for your help much appreciated

Kindest regards
I have never tested but need to.

pinkjude

The contour next looks good for me. I have just been reading up. Do you need lancets as well as test strips?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All of the suggestions are good but remember that the accuracy of the meters isn’t that high, often +/- 15% quoted and comparing between meters will offer show quite high variability.

so, find the meter you are happy with and compare against itself is the best thing, they are useful to know how food impacts you pre and post meals etc

@harryhonda you say about variability? Is this multiple readings are vastly different? I tend to find if I stick to the same meter unless there is a glitch the readings tend to be close enough. If I get something exceptional (< 4 or > 6 for me) do I need to make sure washed hands and try again as even in covid hand washing I realise I handled food and forgot to wash pre test

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The contour next looks good for me. I have just been reading up. Do you need lancets as well as test strips?

Contour next is very good I actually think it’s one of the best I’ve used and I have 50+ of different meters

Yes you need lancets the kit comes with some. And lancets are cheap

Last edited:

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Contour next is very good I actually think it’s one of the best I’ve used and I have 50+ of different meters

Yes you need lancets the kit comes with some. And lancets are cheap
Searley which do you use most of the time please