Low carb bread rolls

Newly diagnosed

Hi! Happy Easter to all! just had a delivery from a company for low carb bread rolls, on double checking the ingredients they contain oat fibre! Is it suitable for diabetics.. I know everyone’s tolerations different so I’m guessing it will be a try and test thing?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Happy Easter to all! just had a delivery from a company for low carb bread rolls, on double checking the ingredients they contain oat fibre! Is it suitable for diabetics.. I know everyone’s tolerations different so I’m guessing it will be a try and test thing?
What does the nutritional information on the back say?

Reactions: Newly diagnosed

Newly diagnosed

34041EC6-1F4E-4E52-BAEA-A0B349AD73C6.jpeg

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With 1 gram of net carbs you should be fine, although it never hurts to test :)

Is this an American product? In the UK the nutritional info usually doesn't say 'net carbs', it just says carbohydrates, as the fibre is listed separately from the carbs.
In the US fiber is listed with the carbs so you have to substract the fiber.

Newly diagnosed

Hi, it’s from a Uk based company. Thank you, I got them in for days out ( picnics with kids over school holidays) thought it may be easier than taking a salad with me, but maybe I’ll take the salad and save the rolls when I can test at home!

Reactions: Antje77

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Newly diagnosed
Can you name the product?
People here may have experience.

I have a load of low carb bread and rolls in the freezer because I fell out of love with them.
I may get back to them and do some testing soon.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This may be of interest to you - I use them all the time for bread and rolls which I can recommend

https://seriouslylowcarb.com/

Tannith

BANNED
let’s keep things simple and focus in on perhaps the least celebrated oat form of all: oat fiber.

So what is it exactly?

Oat fiber is an insoluble fiber made from grinding the oat hull, which is the shell that surrounds the oat groat (or kernel).

Whole oat groats come from harvesting oats, washing them, and removing their hulls. The groat is the source of most oat products we use. But unlike rolled oats, steel cut oats, and all those other celebrity oat siblings, oat fiber is actually made purely from the husk. Step aside, groat.

oat_fiber_large.jpg

Now oat fiber doesn’t have a lot to offer in the way of nutrients, as it’s pretty much non-digestible. But that’s just fine because it isn’t consumed in order to load up on vitamins and minerals — leave that job to blueberries and kale.

https://maxinesheavenly.com/blogs/maxines-heavenly/what-is-oat-fiber

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @Newly diagnosed,

I often bake with oat fiber myself. It has close to zero carbs, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Newly diagnosed

let’s keep things simple and focus in on perhaps the least celebrated oat form of all: oat fiber.

So what is it exactly?

Oat fiber is an insoluble fiber made from grinding the oat hull, which is the shell that surrounds the oat groat (or kernel).

Whole oat groats come from harvesting oats, washing them, and removing their hulls. The groat is the source of most oat products we use. But unlike rolled oats, steel cut oats, and all those other celebrity oat siblings, oat fiber is actually made purely from the husk. Step aside, groat.

oat_fiber_large.jpg

Now oat fiber doesn’t have a lot to offer in the way of nutrients, as it’s pretty much non-digestible. But that’s just fine because it isn’t consumed in order to load up on vitamins and minerals — leave that job to blueberries and kale.

https://maxinesheavenly.com/blogs/maxines-heavenly/what-is-oat-fiber
Thank you! I still have so much to learn!