Ketogenic diet: Post your keto recipes/what do you usually eat on keto

Drfarxan

I AM NOT GOOD AT COOKING!! but its the only way ill get to have a keto diet life style. There is no any other option for me there are no restaurants with take aways for keto or low carb foods that don't use seed oils. Before all i use to do is order out or make my self something simple like rice.

At the moment i am just focused on the low carbs part but i have problems with finding fat sources. I count my cards and sometimes it can go up to 50 g per day( for a person with insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes its suppose to be 25 g max per day).

But the reason for this is I CAN'T COOK,so sometimes ill eat some nuts with carbs or drink a cup of milk which has 12-18 g of carbs to feel myself up. Apart from frying up a steak or some eggs and defrosting vegs i really don't do much else.

I do check out diet doctors recipes but they are too complicated for a person with no time to cook. It was easy making rice and a stew with potatoes and carrots back then(rice really feels you up,including cards like bread).

I'll continue to check out and learn from places like diet doctors but i would like to know what the members of this forum eat. Post atleast 5 keto meals you usually eat. I might get some ideas or inspiration from you

Reactions: DJC3

Drfarxan

You sound like a perfect candidate for carnivore.
That's the only skill you need.
I have been considering that alot its easier than a ketogenic diet.
What i don’t want is too get tired of the same meals. To keep this diet going i need more variety.
Mention atleast 5 meals you usually have

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m carnivore too. Here are some pics of recent meals. Never bored - was just thinking today that there’s more variety in my diet than when I was eating carbs as I cook more and have tried more new foods. I think most people, whatever their way of eating have a few ‘staple’ meals that they rotate.

Attachments

• 2C67B251-6D21-4D90-8781-EC3970F3B7DB.jpeg
    2C67B251-6D21-4D90-8781-EC3970F3B7DB.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 229
  • DEFFACAE-20FD-4A86-9ECC-2A61BCC1FAC5.jpeg
    DEFFACAE-20FD-4A86-9ECC-2A61BCC1FAC5.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 4A14CA8E-0B2A-4646-B6A5-1BD87DBE5D49.jpeg
    4A14CA8E-0B2A-4646-B6A5-1BD87DBE5D49.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 216
  • ACBE91C6-F730-40F9-AFA7-EE73F24CDCFA.jpeg
    ACBE91C6-F730-40F9-AFA7-EE73F24CDCFA.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 232
  • FC26AD9B-84F3-40B8-9DEE-873998EEE20A.jpeg
    FC26AD9B-84F3-40B8-9DEE-873998EEE20A.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 221

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Drfarxan,

Below are some fairly easy recipes. The first recipe takes about half an hour to prepare and the second one about 10 minutes.

The first easy recipe is vegetable soup. Start with broth (available in jars), throw in some low carb veggies, such as celery, mushrooms, green beans for example, add some meat (such as fatty beef, sausage, or duck), let it boil for about an hour. Done. This usually lasts some days without problems -- just make sure to heat it at least once a day to prevent it from going off.

This morning I also had some scrambled eggs with okra. Slice the okra, add some salt, fry it in some butter until slightly browned, turn down heat to 100 degree centigrade, add eggs and scramble. If you prefer, you can also substitute mushrooms, asparagus (or other veggies) for the okra.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to choose a selection of veg (as low or high carb as you want) but I go for peppers/aubergine/onion/broccoli, I chuck it in an oven dish and drizzle with olive oil, pepper & salt, and any herbs & spices you wish. Cook for around 30/40 minutes and the vegetables turn into a smoky, buttery, lovely taste, GREAT to have with any piece of meat or fish, especially salmon, and VERY easy. Count the carbs of the veg you use if you are sticking rigidly to under 20 carbs though. I find this addition to meat makes a very low carb and satisfying meal. Oh, and I may use a blob of mayonnaise too (low carb if you wish).

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to choose a selection of veg (as low or high carb as you want) but I go for peppers/aubergine/onion/broccoli, I chuck it in an oven dish and drizzle with olive oil, pepper & salt, and any herbs & spices you wish. Cook for around 30/40 minutes and the vegetables turn into a smoky, buttery, lovely taste, GREAT to have with any piece of meat or fish, especially salmon, and VERY easy. Count the carbs of the veg you use if you are sticking rigidly to under 20 carbs though. I find this addition to meat makes a very low carb and satisfying meal. Oh, and I may use a blob of mayonnaise too (low carb if you wish).

Hi @KK123,

Great idea -- I actually do something very similar. My vegetables of choice are aubergine (eggplant), bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini (courgette), cubed and roasted in an oven-proof dish with salt, garlic and olive oil. This usually makes enough vegetables to last about for three days. Just heat in a frying pan when needed.

Also, Greek yoghurt with virgin olive oil is easy and quite low carb. Nice and slightly bitter.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
sausages with stirfry - stirfry bought frozen from Lidl
Cauliflower cheese - almost cook some cauliflower, put it in a warm bowl, cover with cream cheese, add spice or herb, then cover in grated hard cheese, I like Red Leicester, add a bit of blue cheese then put it in the oven to melt and become slightly golden.
A stew with cubed beef, a bit of onion, a couple of sticks of celery, some sliced sweet pepper, mushrooms and mixed veges.
Roast chicken with some cubes of swede cooked under it, served along with a salad.
Roast pork served with low carb veges and mashed cauliflower.

Reactions: Dudette1

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Drfarxan,

Below are some fairly easy recipes. The first recipe takes about half an hour to prepare and the second one about 10 minutes.

The first easy recipe is vegetable soup. Start with broth (available in jars), throw in some low carb veggies, such as celery, mushrooms, green beans for example, add some meat (such as fatty beef, sausage, or duck), let it boil for about an hour. Done. This usually lasts some days without problems -- just make sure to heat it at least once a day to prevent it from going off.

This morning I also had some scrambled eggs with okra. Slice the okra, add some salt, fry it in some butter until slightly browned, turn down heat to 100 degree centigrade, add eggs and scramble. If you prefer, you can also substitute mushrooms, asparagus (or other veggies) for the okra.

Can I ask is okra supposed to taste of anything? When I have tried it previously it seems literally tasteless but I know people's taste buds are different so not sure if it is just me.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
natural yoghurt mixed with milled seeds and a a few berries. If done ahead of time it thickens into a different dish. Make enough on a Sunday night for next 5 breakfasts.
Scrambled eggs or omelette
3 or 4 30g chunks of different cheeses
Sliced cheese rolled around cold meats (coleslaw or rocket in the middle) = infinite variety
Hard boiled eggs kept in fridge. Good any time.
Ready cooked chicken pieces. Eatas is or add to virtually anything

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been considering that alot its easier than a ketogenic diet.
What i don’t want is too get tired of the same meals. To keep this diet going i need more variety.
Mention atleast 5 meals you usually have

Just had t-bone steak
Pork chops
Lamb chops
Rump steak
Roast chicken
Bacon, eggs, sausage
Home made burgers either beef/ beef & veal/ beef & sausage meat or spicy lamb
Lots of other cuts of pork, beef or lamb slow cooked in a stock.
Or a simple roast joint.

I find that as I no longer regard food as "entertainment" but simply fuel then variety isn't really necessary.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask is okra supposed to taste of anything? When I have tried it previously it seems literally tasteless but I know people's taste buds are different so not sure if it is just me.

Hi @Ryhia,

I've been trying to think of what okra tastes like, but have had a hard time coming up with a description. It's more of delicate taste (though not tasteless), maybe a litte grassy, crispy when fried and imho quite pleasant. The problem with okra is that it can be quite slimy. Frying it in butter/ghee helps with this. (In the U.S., it is often breaded, but of course since having been diagnosed with this isn't really an option anymore).

Reactions: Ryhia

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Ryhia,

I've been trying to think of what okra tastes like, but have had a hard time coming up with a description. It's more of delicate taste (though not tasteless), maybe a litte grassy, crispy when fried and imho quite pleasant. The problem with okra is that it can be quite slimy. Frying it in butter/ghee helps with this. (In the U.S., it is often breaded, but of course since having been diagnosed with this isn't really an option anymore).
Cheers for that, yes, it probably does taste grassy, but for me not something to write home about, I have only really cooked it quickly so not experienced any slimy texture and the curry I originally purchased it for never got made. It is supposed to helps to control blood sugar levels so may be worth a second shot.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I barely eat anything since going low carb, I have a low sugar low carb hot chocolate in a morning for breakfast, dinner fage 0%fat yogurt with raspberries and 90% dark chocolate, and tea is usually something simple like peppers stuffed with sausage onion and cheese. I then fast for 16 hours. Low carb I find it boring,(personal opinion )which is why I don’t eat much, a roast with just veggies is my hell, I want potatoes and Yorkshire puddings and stuffing and all other unhealthy stuff that comes with it or it’s just not enjoyable at all and I will never enjoy it but some foods become enjoyable like cauliflower rice with a curry, I don’t miss regular rice. I treat myself once a week to a jacket potato but I walk 7 miles after I’ve eaten it so I don’t think it really touches the sides ha! You will soon find your own way, it’s all trial and error but the results are worth it when you see the numbers on the blood tests and scales

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Drfarxan most of my quick go to meals involve eggs. 1)Scrambled with smoked salmon, 2)cheese omelette, 3)fried with a couple of slices of ham ( boiled deli ham, not the honey roast obviously) or bacon or, as you say steak ( my favourite)
If you don’t have time or inclination to even cook eggs then keep some deli meat, cheese and olives in the fridge for a quick tapas type meal.
Tins of mackerel or sardines in olive oil are cheap, quick and easy. Chuck into a pile of salad leaves and add an avocado if you like them.
Keto doesn’t need to be complicated. Have another look at the DietDoctor site and maybe refine your search to ‘easy’ under 30 minutes or cold plate. They have many ideas which really don’t deserve the title ‘recipe’ for instance fried eggs on a plate!

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I wouldn’t say I regard food as entertainment but I do enjoy cooking as relaxation. I love the variety of ingredients available in most supermarkets nowadays. Even if you think you’re not good at cooking, there are many, many simple low carb meals you can make and practice makes perfect. Actually it doesn’t matter if it’s not perfect; it will almost certainly taste fine. (Just make sure chicken, pork and fish are not undercooked.)

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Forgot to post sample simple main meals. Please note I eat low carb not keto. My diabetes is in remission.

Sausages and broccoli mash with green beans.
Roasted aubergine, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions and halloumi cheese.
Fritatta/omelette with cheese or mushrooms or smoked salmon or berries.
Chicken breast roasted with tarragon butter and cream. Green veg.
Sort of moussaka. Salad.
Thai salmon. Green beans or asparagus in dish.
Cottage pie with celeriac or cauliflower mash. Green veg.

All very easy - recipes available on request

tinmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Without meaning any offence, I don't really understand people who say, "I can't cook", or similar. Cooking is no different to any other skill or ability. If you don't do it, you'll never learn and get better.

I eat an extremely varied diet, but don't spend hour after hour in the kitchen. I use the slow cooker quite often and the multi-cooker most days. I also have a number of low carb and keto cook books, from which I choose a weekly menu with plenty of variety.

Being organised is the key for me.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ever since Easter ham on Sunday, pretty much the only thing I want to eat is "Western omelette". 1/4 of a sweet bell pepper finely diced, about the same amount of onion and the same of ham, all finely diced. 3 eggs, some salt and pepper, and cooked in generous amount of butter. Delicious!. I had it for dinner last night with an avocado on the side. I had it again today to break my fast with no sides and a cup of coffee.

I'd love to fold one up into a sandwich on toasted sourdough with some old cheddar, but those days are mostly in my past.

I've been doing a lot with cauliflower. Tossed in oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper, then roasted in the oven until nicely carmelized. Pureed steamed cauliflower with heavy cream and cream cheese makes a very passable mashed potato substitute. Califlower rice with heavy cream and cream cheese (again) gets close to a risotto texture. Cauliflower rice stir-fried with diced bacon, jalapeños, onion, garlic, and smoked paprika makes a good south-west rice dish.

Meat "go tos" include:
Pork belly (salted, baked fat-side up for 45 mins at 500F then 150 minutes at 250F)
Boneless skin-on (the skin is very important) chicken thighs, seasoned and pan-seared to crispy over medium-high heat.
Braised pork shoulder roast
Braised beef blade roast

Today I make ham-fried rice for my family, and ham-fried cauliflower rice for myself. I will boost the fat by using lots of avocado oil in the cook, adding a knob of butter just before serving, and eating an avocado on the side.

Drfarxan

Without meaning any offence, I don't really understand people who say, "I can't cook", or similar. Cooking is no different to any other skill or ability. If you don't do it, you'll never learn and get better.

I eat an extremely varied diet, but don't spend hour after hour in the kitchen. I use the slow cooker quite often and the multi-cooker most days. I also have a number of low carb and keto cook books, from which I choose a weekly menu with plenty of variety.

Being organised is the key for me.
i am learning to and in a way its very enjoyable. Not knowing how to cook for me means my food always turns worse than i imagine but like you said in time ill get better. It also means 1.) not talented enough to cook different variety especially for a somewhat new diet for me like keto,2.) i have never been a kitchen person mostly ate at work cafetteria or what my family made or ordered out so its a life style change which i am finding out i enjoy.