Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

From my own experience. i use the Freestyle Libre with a bluetooth bridge & a more at a glance user interface using a trusted 3rd party developed app on my phone? Which can be calibrated to my meter. I have BG readouts on the A pillar of my van in a phone cradle & even on a stand alone smart watch. Get's me through a working day..

However, with the advent of the "New" Libre 2 with it's own bluetooth connectivity & change in algorithm. (in a possible attempt to beat the "jailbreakers?) Though i found a work around & even found it more inline with what my meter says?
The new one don't stack up with my relatively new smart watch or my phone, though i have found another great app that will cut it with my old phone..

The Dexcom is a bit pricier to self fund (Like i do.) But it has had some good feedback..

I'll tag in @EllieM regarding her own experience with that one, i'm pretty certain @MeiChanski uses one too? (we met up Feb last year & it looked like a Dexy..)

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Freestyle Libre is very simple and easy. Libre 2 if you can get it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've been using a dexcom 6 for about a year. (I used a libre 1 previously but had to stop using it after I developed an allergy that not only did nasty things to my skin and itched like crazy, but also made its results completely inconsistent).

Pluses
1) I've managed to avoid allergies by using cavilon cream before I insert the sensor
2) Extremely helpful dexcom customer service (better than libre in my experience)
3) allows you to calibrate with a glucometer, though in my experience that hasn't been necessary
4) can add followers to your account so that others can see your levels on their phone. Note that the follower feature needs an internet signal so if the wearer goes for a walk somewhere without a phone signal (like the bottom of my lane :)) the follower feature will no longer work.
5) Alarms - are awesome and mean that you can have peace of mind at night because you can set the dexcom to wake you if you go down to eg 4.4, giving you time to correct your blood sugar before you go hypo. But I believe the new libre has those.
6) I've tethered a fitbit smartwatch to my phone so that I can see the results on my wrist. This stops working if the phone is our of internet reach because it uses the follower feature rather than directly reading from the dexcom transmitter attached to the sensor.

Minuses
1) If seriously hypo you need to use a glucometer because the dexcom sensor only sends a result every 5 minutes and theoretically has a slight lag compared to a glucometer.
2) Resist the urge to insert the sensor late in the day. Mine has been known to under read for the first few hours and this can mean a night of unwarranted hypo alerts.
3) A transmitter lasts 3 months so it's a bit of a waste to trial it for a couple of weeks, though you'd have to look and see what offers dexcom have for trials in your country.
4) Allergies to the glue on the sensors. This is an issue for both dexcom and libre, though dexcom are a bit more honest about it, and will make helpful suggestions as to how to avoid it.
5) More expensive than libre.

In your position, I'd probably trial the libre 2 (you may be able to score a free trial depending on where you live) and see how you go. Remember that it isn't necessarily that accurate when you are running high or low, so it isn't a complete replacement for a glucometer.

I certainly prefer the dexom G6 to the libre 1 (ignoring cost and allergies) in terms of features, but I suspect that most of the features of the dexcom and now in the libre 2 (eg alarms) though I don't know if libre 2 has the follow feature, which I imagine would be very handy for a parent.

Good luck.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The best and most accurate with least fuss is the Dexcom but comes at a cost

Then you have the libre which you can add a Bluetooth bridge like bubble or miaomiao. These can be awkward difficult to keep in place and the libre is less accurate and has more failures

Libre is the cheaper option

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
One more caveat on the dexcom. You need to make sure your phone is compatible.

Would be interesting to hear from a libre 2 user as to how it compares with the dexcom.

Also, I believe there are a fair number of facebook groups for dexcom users (probably libre as well) particularly for parents.

I think I’m going to get my daughter a CGM but which is best from your experience?
Any chance your doctor /clinic will prescribe one? If ypu are in the UK she'll probably get offered a pump, also.

Reactions: oldgreymare

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
One more caveat on the dexcom. You need to make sure your phone is compatible.

Would be interesting to hear from a libre 2 user as to how it compares with the dexcom.

Also, I believe there are a fair number of facebook groups for dexcom users (probably libre as well) particularly for parents.

Any chance your doctor /clinic will prescribe one? If ypu are in the UK she'll probably get offered a pump, also.

There is a build your own for Android which bypasses the compatibility check and it’s worked on several unsupported phones for me

On iPhone I’ve not had any of the later models not work and I’m running the iOS 14.5beta

I quite liked the tandem handset

However if you can get a go or consultant to prescribe something it’s most likely to be the libre in which case getting a Bluetooth add on if worth it. And while not quite as accurate as the Dexcom millions use it and are happy with it. And it will certainly give you more data than you have now

Reactions: EllieM

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ok from reading before this post I would of gone for libre 2 but now the experts have spoken it seems dexcom is better

Yes but costs more £159 a month in the uk

Libre is about £100 a month

However if this is for a child and they are having hypo issues push for one or the other on prescription

Either is better than nothing especially if it’s free

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I agree Dexcom is probably better from what I’ve read, but I use Libre with a Bubble (Bluetooth bridge) as I have to self-fund.

P.S. There are many youtube Dexcom v Libre comparisons, recently updated with both companies (imminently) launching new products.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I agree Dexcom is probably better from what I’ve read, but I use Libre with a Bubble (Bluetooth bridge) as I have to self-fund.

P.S. There are many youtube Dexcom v Libre comparisons, recently updated with both companies (imminently) launching new products.

I have a bubble too and have used it with success it’s a good alternative for those that can’t/won’t fund the dexcom

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I use my Dexcom G6 with an iPhone 8 but on latest iOS 14. Looking at user info elsewhere, the G6 can work with iPhone 11 & 12, but Dexcom caveat that they are still beta testing the latest phone models, so users own risk.

Dexcom G7 will use completely new technology and expected to be major upgrade but I think earliest availability in UK will be towards the end of 2021, more likely in early 2022. No idea if it will be more cost effective than self funding a G6.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I use my Dexcom G6 with an iPhone 8 but on latest iOS 14. Looking at user info elsewhere, the G6 can work with iPhone 11 & 12, but Dexcom caveat that they are still beta testing the latest phone models, so users own risk.

Dexcom G7 will use completely new technology and expected to be major upgrade but I think earliest availability in UK will be towards the end of 2021, more likely in early 2022. No idea if it will be more cost effective than self funding a G6.

I’m using on 12pro with iOS 14.5 and it works perfectly

Dad2type1

Thanks everyone for your replies, I got given a libre2 to try but my daughter saying she doesn’t want it (to my annoyance) but I can’t force her

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone for your replies, I got given a libre2 to try but my daughter saying she doesn’t want it (to my annoyance) but I can’t force her

She may change her mind later, she may just need a bit of time since its all still new, or it may take longer but yes she may eventually decide to go for it.

But yeah everything about T1 is an annoyance (to put it bluntly), if it helps many of us grew up without this tech available and are still most definitely here (I mean I may now be a grumpy pessimistic sod at times, but y'know - that might have happened no matter what)

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Watch the use by date on the libre, but otherwise do keep it in a cupboard, she might change her mind in the coming weeks/months. It has made my life with diabetes so much easier. I do still do finger prick tests, but not so often and I no longer have the 'can I be bothered to test' thoughts and get such a better insight/explanation for how im feeling.

I have been very impressed by the libre 2, but even more so using the Diabox app with it. For my purposes it feels more like a CGM as libre 2 can automatically sync to diabox using its bluetooth (you don't need an extra device like the bubble mentioned above, that is only for libre 1).
Some thoughts:
- You can set up different accounts (master or follower) but I'm not sure if follower accounts also have to be in bluetooth range like with Dexcom.
- You can also calibrate the sensor to a few finger prick tests in Diabox, which the official libre link app won't let you do.
- I've got a minute by minute update of my glucose values on my phone, discretely showing in the top bar of my phone (next to the time for me) and on lock screen.
- You can also have more alarms using the diabox app than on the libre link app. The official libre link app only gives you the option to choose a high and a low threshold, no snooze feature. Diabox lets you choose values and alarm tones/vibrate only/or no alarm for: high, very high, low, very low, increasing and decreasing (you can choose the rate so I've only gone for an alarm if I'm quickly dropping), out of range (so you know not to rely on the other alarms because your phone is out of the sensor's bluetooth range) and when the sensor is nearing the end of its life. You can also choose whether to snooze those alarms, and if so how many minutes for, which you can't on the official libre link app.
- There is a really active and helpful Facebook group for diabox users.

I still use the libre link app to log what insulin I've injected and how many carbs as you can add notes, and it syncs to your account on their libre view website which gives you really nice patterns and insights (more so than the app gives). You also need to activate the sensor with the official libre link app before trying to use diabox.

Moving to the libre made my life easier. I gather it is early days after your daughter's diagnosis. I've had some ups and downs over the years but struggled with the 'why me' type thoughts over the first few months in particular. I gather many type 1s do! We haven't done anything to cause this, and also couldn't therefore have prevented it. The main thing for me was always knowing that while it was a steep learning curve initially, that meant I wasn't held back living my life how I wanted to. I've always wanted to know more about managing my diabetes so that I haven't had to change my life or be denied opportunities later in life. Had it for over half my life now, and the only thing I feel I have to do differently from friends is be a bit more prepared/planned but that is it. I know it will seem like a way off for your daughter now, but fingers crossed things settle a bit for her. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps a little.

Dad2type1

Watch the use by date on the libre, but otherwise do keep it in a cupboard, she might change her mind in the coming weeks/months. It has made my life with diabetes so much easier. I do still do finger prick tests, but not so often and I no longer have the 'can I be bothered to test' thoughts and get such a better insight/explanation for how im feeling.

I have been very impressed by the libre 2, but even more so using the Diabox app with it. For my purposes it feels more like a CGM as libre 2 can automatically sync to diabox using its bluetooth (you don't need an extra device like the bubble mentioned above, that is only for libre 1).
Some thoughts:
- You can set up different accounts (master or follower) but I'm not sure if follower accounts also have to be in bluetooth range like with Dexcom.
- You can also calibrate the sensor to a few finger prick tests in Diabox, which the official libre link app won't let you do.
- I've got a minute by minute update of my glucose values on my phone, discretely showing in the top bar of my phone (next to the time for me) and on lock screen.
- You can also have more alarms using the diabox app than on the libre link app. The official libre link app only gives you the option to choose a high and a low threshold, no snooze feature. Diabox lets you choose values and alarm tones/vibrate only/or no alarm for: high, very high, low, very low, increasing and decreasing (you can choose the rate so I've only gone for an alarm if I'm quickly dropping), out of range (so you know not to rely on the other alarms because your phone is out of the sensor's bluetooth range) and when the sensor is nearing the end of its life. You can also choose whether to snooze those alarms, and if so how many minutes for, which you can't on the official libre link app.
- There is a really active and helpful Facebook group for diabox users.

I still use the libre link app to log what insulin I've injected and how many carbs as you can add notes, and it syncs to your account on their libre view website which gives you really nice patterns and insights (more so than the app gives). You also need to activate the sensor with the official libre link app before trying to use diabox.

Moving to the libre made my life easier. I gather it is early days after your daughter's diagnosis. I've had some ups and downs over the years but struggled with the 'why me' type thoughts over the first few months in particular. I gather many type 1s do! We haven't done anything to cause this, and also couldn't therefore have prevented it. The main thing for me was always knowing that while it was a steep learning curve initially, that meant I wasn't held back living my life how I wanted to. I've always wanted to know more about managing my diabetes so that I haven't had to change my life or be denied opportunities later in life. Had it for over half my life now, and the only thing I feel I have to do differently from friends is be a bit more prepared/planned but that is it. I know it will seem like a way off for your daughter now, but fingers crossed things settle a bit for her. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps a little.

Thanks for your reply, yeah hopefully she will come round soon but generally she doesn’t mind the finger prick tbh doesn’t seem to bother her but I will try again soon,

I just want to make her life seem a bit easier (I know it will be a pain forever) for her but we will get there I’m sure

Reactions: UK T1

Hannahlasum

Annoyingly it won’t let me post the links to the trails, so I’ll put them in a photo and you’ll have to type them into google!

Attachments

• 631E8EBD-EAE9-4FAA-9491-CF028A8752BC.png
    631E8EBD-EAE9-4FAA-9491-CF028A8752BC.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 76