Libre 2 - dumb questions

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do I need a diabox account
No diabox account is needed or even possible.

do I then choose 'add CGM' in the diabox app and let it search for the libre 2 via bluetooth?
You need to scan the sensor with nfc while in diabox app after clicking on "add CGM /add bubble" button. It should start communicating with libre 2 via bluetooth in a minute of scanning but if not just scan again every few minutes till it connects. There is a guide I created to configure Diabox, link for which is in one of the posts above.

Best of luck.:)

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No diabox account is needed or even possible.

You need to scan the sensor with nfc while in diabox app after clicking on "add CGM /add bubble" button. It should start communicating with libre 2 via bluetooth in a minute of scanning but if not just scan again every few minutes till it connects. There is a guide I created to configure Diabox, link for which is in one of the posts above.

Best of luck.:)
Thanks! Seems I've upset Abbott already and they haven't allowed my Libre Link app to connect to Libre View any more (for a few days now, since I first downloaded Diabox). I assume the work around is to not sync Diabox with Libre View, but will wait to get my account accessible again as I need to upload via Libre View to keep the sensors on prescription. Currently got data in the Libre Link app so unwilling to reset that in case I lose it. Really liked Diabox from what I've seen of it so far, but have uninstalled for now. Will give it another go when I've been able to sync my data with Libre View again (and won't let Diabox sync in future, just in case). I did read on the FB page that Abbott has even issued written warnings to some users? I assume as long as you don't sync they won't know you're using it.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume as long as you don't sync they won't know you're using it.
Yeah I guess thats right. I have never done that sync and it all goes fine for me. Then again I do self fund so I dont much care if they block Libre View for me.. nightscout and tidepool give much better reports but I can understand your constraint to comply.

Reactions: UK T1

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought I'd update - Abbot couldn't help and were only able to suggest deinstalling and reinstalling the libre link app which would have meant losing data from my latest sensor, and losing the 90 day trend insights from the app. Waited until sensor ended, started a new sensor with the libre link app which asked me if I wanted to log out of the 'other instance' (which I assume it thought was diabox). I said yes, and it happily proceeded to starting the new sensor without losing any of the libre link data - phew!

Have turned off location access permission for libre link app and downloaded diabox again, and it has picked up my old libre 2 sensor! Says the sensor will work for 12 hrs after the official 14 day limit, so now playing with comparison between old and new sensor readings (0.5 out atm, on different arms, new sensor applied 24hrs before activating). From what I've read you can't restart the libre 2 sensors yet. Really like diabox so far though, handy to have the widget option and current readings showing on lockscreen in a discrete way. Pity can't add notes to readings, will continue using libre link app for that.

Reactions: Speedbird

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought I'd update - Abbot couldn't help and were only able to suggest deinstalling and reinstalling the libre link app which would have meant losing data from my latest sensor, and losing the 90 day trend insights from the app. Waited until sensor ended, started a new sensor with the libre link app which asked me if I wanted to log out of the 'other instance' (which I assume it thought was diabox). I said yes, and it happily proceeded to starting the new sensor without losing any of the libre link data - phew!

Have turned off location access permission for libre link app and downloaded diabox again, and it has picked up my old libre 2 sensor! Says the sensor will work for 12 hrs after the official 14 day limit, so now playing with comparison between old and new sensor readings (0.5 out atm, on different arms, new sensor applied 24hrs before activating). From what I've read you can't restart the libre 2 sensors yet. Really like diabox so far though, handy to have the widget option and current readings showing on lockscreen in a discrete way. Pity can't add notes to readings, will continue using libre link app for that.
All this talk of external apps is mind numbing. It must be my age! I am hoping to start Libre2 this week, hoping Libre3 won’t be taking too long to arrive! Just one question: will the alarm function work simultaneously on both the reader and the phone? Thank you in advance.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All this talk of external apps is mind numbing. It must be my age! I am hoping to start Libre2 this week, hoping Libre3 won’t be taking too long to arrive! Just one question: will the alarm function work simultaneously on both the reader and the phone? Thank you in advance.
Hi, I was quite overwhelmed by the talk of the external apps too, but watched a few YouTube videos and realised Diabox seems the most accessible of them all. Now very glad I tried!

The alarm function will only work with libre 2, and only on one device - the one you activated the sensor with. So if you want to get alarms in Diabox you have to first disable libre link permission to access you location in the app settings. This means libre link can be used to activate the sensor, but won't form a bluetooth connection. You can then connect the diabox app to the sensor after you've activated it.

The sensor can only form a bluetooth connection with one device. Whatever it has formed the bluetooth connection with is where the alarms will sound.

To second earlier replies and answer point 3 of the OP's questions - the sensor can only connect to one bluetooth device. However, as long as your phone has bluetooth 5.0 then your phone can be connected to different Bluetooth devices at once (hands free in the car or headphones for example). Most newer phones have Bluetooth 5.0 so you shouldn't have a problem connecting your phone to your sensor and some headphones, for example, I certainly don't.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just Found this thread whilst trying to work out what the app does, how high/low alarms are triggered via "Bluetooth" scans, if there's a difference between the accuracy of readings (assuming the app continues to read between scans)

So libre 2 is "flash device".
Is there an easy way to see the version in use?
Would libre 3 be a different sensor as well as newer app version?

ℹ️ A quick google shows the v 3 is worlds smallest, roughly size of £1, so we have the v2

So does the sensor only read via NFC via a manual scan?

Surely it's also "auto scanning", otherwise how would it know about the high/low readings?

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just looking for info on diabox after having some issues (primary reader device started saying glucose reading unavailable after scanning with diabox on an android)

Fixed by turning off bluetooth on android, causing diabox to disconnect...
Interestingly the readers reporting a reading of 6, whilst diabox shows 10.2 - will check units of measurement etc.

Hope this helps

• Informative
Reactions: Hopeful34

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been using the Libre 2 sensor for a while and I can tell you that you can use a Bluetooth headset as you use the Libre and you have to keep your phone connected to the Libre at all times because it is being read/getting your results every few seconds and that is the same when you use Libre Link Up app as well and I am using sweet dreams app as a backup app but that is just my opinion and you can also use any other Bluetooth as well

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the Libre 2 sensor for a while and I can tell you that you can use a Bluetooth headset as you use the Libre and you have to keep your phone connected to the Libre at all times because it is being read/getting your results every few seconds and that is the same when you use Libre Link Up app as well and I am using sweet dreams app as a backup app but that is just my opinion and you can also use any other Bluetooth as well
Bear in mind different phone models have different numbers of Bluetooth receivers.
I am able to connect my pump, my CGM, my headset and my heart rate monitor to my phone all using Bluetooth at the same time. I have not tried connecting a fifth device.

Mr MODY

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been MODY for a long time. Due to a known side effect of weight gain I stopped using sulfonylurea diabetic medicine many years ago. My HBA1C is now creeping up again so my new Diabetic Nurse wants me back on a sulfonylurea, albeit with a lower dose.
Prior to that she has given me a couple of FreeStyle Libre 2 devices to obtain data before I commence the new meds and then once I am on the new meds. I have switched off the low alarm as it is so shrill in the night, I think the village wakes up too.
When I mentioned this to my nurse she asked me to get a manual device to test the integrity of the CGM.
I was very surprised to see such a difference in readings.
At 0916 today I was 14.6 according to Libre 2 but Nexus Gluco/RX reported 11.8
So when I am 3.1 in the middle of the night - does that mean I am 0.1 ??

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mr MODY
I regularly see comments about absolute differences between CGMs and finger pricks based on one or two readings. However, there are a number of reasons why the difference is rarely consistent. For example
- both finger prick and CGMs are required to satisfy a standard that they are within 15% of the "true" value 95% of the the time. Given this tolerance, the 14.6 and 11.8 could well be measuring an "true" value of 13.
- CGMs are designed to be most accurate at "normal" levels. They are less accurate when below 4 and above 10.
- When pressure is applied to a sensor, the flow of measured fluid to the filament is hampered so the sensor will report a false low. This is very commonly known as a "Compression Low" and is more likely to occur at night when we lie on our arms as we turn over in our sleep. This is likely to be what happened when your Libre reported 3.1 in the middle of the night.
- Some of us find our body reacts to having an alien object inserted in our arm. This can affect the accuracy of the readings during the first 24 to 48 hours after inserting a new sensor and is why it is not uncommon to insert a sensor 24 to 48 hours before activating it. It is well known enough to have a name - "insertion trauma".
- CGMs do not read blood. The read interstitial fluid. There is a delay of about 15 minutes between a change in BG showing in interstitial fluid. Libre accounts for this by extrapolating the current trend. There are two consequences of this.
- when the trend direction changes such as when starting to come down from a high, Libre can over "predict "the current value,
- when Libre "catches up" it will correct its prediction. Therefore you may see a high value corrected to something lower and never appearing on your graphs.

I find it very frustrating that Libre are handed out without explaining any of this and people, like you are then confused about the Libre and mistrust the readings.
However, even Abbott (who manufacture Libre) now say that it does not 100% replace finger pricks and you may need to check Libre readings, especially when high or low.

Mr MODY

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I did read several other posts before posting this. I did not want to include it in the Type 1 section :)
I was not aware of "compression low" or "insertion trauma" but as I have sadly not been low since - I now accept your assessment is highly likely to be correct.

Reactions: In Response

baroque541

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a general comment about Bluetooth - I had a 2 year old Android phone that did not pick up readings from Libra 2 as it should. There was nothing apparently wrong with the phone’s Bluetooth, it worked well for making calls and playing podcasts in the car. But when I got a new iPhone everything started working properly - blood sugars showing all the time on the LibreLink on the phone

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Baroque 541 did you place the sensor under your arm near your armpit as I found this the only place that doesn't get any readings from the Libre sensor because I found it to come up on my phone saying no connection or sensor not working and replace the sensor due to problems with it but it was a new sensor even though I had just put it on and it was just after the 1 hour mark as well so I now put it on the opposite side of my arm where you get your flu and covid shots every year now

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Baroque 541 did you place the sensor under your arm near your armpit as I found this the only place that doesn't get any readings from the Libre sensor because I found it to come up on my phone saying no connection or sensor not working and replace the sensor due to problems with it but it was a new sensor even though I had just put it on and it was just after the 1 hour mark as well so I now put it on the opposite side of my arm where you get your flu and covid shots every year now
We've had the replace sensor error nearly every day this week! I don't think the sensor site is too close to the armpit, but we'll monitor this

Thinking about picking up a cheap mobile (just to scan the sensor, and get real-time synced data) to replace the reader provided by the nhs, reviewing events today to see if&when the alarms are triggered, and if they're heard&heeded.

Thanks!