Probiotics for gut health

healthy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently looking to buy some probiotics. Something I have not used (in a form of supplement). Would be interested to know what ingredients you consider are important when choosing probiotics?

(Edited by moderator for clarity).

Last edited by a moderator:

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a lot of reliable information in Dr Michael Mosley's book 'The Clever Guts Diet', including fermenting foods. It may give you the information you need.

Reactions: healthy1

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have taken few cuz I always had problems with my bowels, and guess what, nothing helped. Yoghurt is advised to improve gut bacteria, however for me it has completely opposite effect, when I started eating yoghurts daily, I ended up with 4 visits in the bathroom to do some "business". I tried drinking kefir. It is widely available everywhere, english and polish are 2 most common types. They worked for me perfectly, also I changed my diet habits and sleeps patterns. Lack of sleep and stress may cause gut problems

JamesR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a standard probiotic supplement (Jamieson Probiotic - 10 Billion active cells). You are looking for a higher number of cells.
Gut health is super important for us Type 1’s and those who suffer from other autoimmune diseases. Use of fermented foods have helped me: Kombucha, sauerkraut, pickles (they have to be naturally fermented, not just in vinegar). Lots of books and podcasts around gut health to dig into. One of the new focus areas is getting more fiber in your diet, if you can tolerate it (build it up slowly). I’ve found a huge difference in blood sugar control since focusing on the right foods and gut health. And less visits to the washroom (a plus!)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I use PB 8 from time to time, though now I try to eat something that’s fermented, these days I’m eating a cottage cheese snack.

healthy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your responses. I try to be careful with dairy products these days as I heard they interfere with my iron absorption (I was anemic on multiple occasions since my diabetes diagnosis in 2008).
In my home country its very popular to have naturally fermented dairy products: Ryazhenka, prostokvasha, kefir and during warm weather - kvass (from bread and a starter). Also homemade pickles and fermented cabbage are widely used as a side dish.

I would like to try Kimchi and coconut kefir. To get my gut up to speed will probably need to supplement with commercial probiotics for a short while. Some advise to add enzymes to help breakdown food faster while building your gut strength.

Reactions: JamesR

JamesR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been reading Fibre Fuelled by Dr. B, he’s a gastronomic MD. Here’s his advice for a probiotic:
*note that a supplement will not be able to overcome a bad diet. He recommends diversity of plants before supplements.
For probiotic supplement:
1) Quantity of bacteria - more is better
2) Number of individual strains - more is better
3) Guaranteed quantity at expiration
And others such as packaged over refrigeration, delayed release capsule, etc.
You can get the same benefits from food: Kimchi, sauerkraut, kombucha, miso soup, sourdough bread, tempeh.
It’s definitely worth a read.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are few probiotics that can survive the transit through the stomach. Lactobacilli is the only one recognised as being reliably able to do this but it needs a glucose host to piggyback and give it the energy to stay alive. Most of the others arrive in a deceased state and no longer active. So, yogurts with high added sugar are a fairly safe bet, but pills and capsules not so useful.

The other way probiotics can sneak past the HCL guardian is by hitchhiking on fermented foods.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I follow the Zoe health podcasts about this, and Prof Tim Spector's work. I've not paid for the tests but get the pod cast prods on my phone.

He listed all the prebiotics he eats and the sources - not supplements but foods. Some of those I would avoid for personal reasons but I've expanded the list of those I eat.

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink Kefir everyday to wash down my medication, apparently it has more healthy bacteria than bio yogurt. Occasionally I make kombucha, which is a fermented tea and good for gut health. I add puréed raspberries for it‘s second fermentation and it becomes fizzy after about 5 days and is delicious.

• Creative
Reactions: Antje77 and MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink Kefir everyday to wash down my medication, apparently it has more healthy bacteria than bio yogurt. Occasionally I make kombucha, which is a fermented tea and good for gut health. I add puréed raspberries for it‘s second fermentation and it becomes fizzy after about 5 days and is delicious.
Recipe for kombucha please :)

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recipe for kombucha please :)
This is the best YouTube channel I’ve found. You do need a SCOBY either from someone you know who makes it or you can purchase one from happykombucha.co.uk. It cost me about £40 for all the equipment to begin with but now just the tea and a bit of sugar or honey. The sugar ferments out so doesn’t affect BG. Well it doesn’t mine.