BS of 11.7 2 hours after breakfast

pinkjude

My HBa1c was 84 about 2 weeks ago. I bought a meter which arrived today so this was my first test. I thought it would be high but was surprised it wasn't a lot higher. I need to get that figure down obviously to avoid metformin. Does anyone know what HBa1c that equates too and how I can get it down. I am on a low carb diet but did have a slice of bread with my egg this morning and now wonder if I should ditch the bread

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My HBa1c was 84 about 2 weeks ago. I bought a meter which arrived today so this was my first test. I thought it would be high but was surprised it wasn't a lot higher. I need to get that figure down obviously to avoid metformin. Does anyone know what HBa1c that equates too and how I can get it down. I am on a low carb diet but did have a slice of bread with my egg this morning and now wonder if I should ditch the bread

If it averaged that level the hba1c would be about 75

Obviously though your bg changes throughout the day

Bread will have about 18g carbs so depending on you allowance of carbs a day then yes you may choose to lose the bread

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your level before eating? It's important to know this, as the problem is if your after meal levels go up by more than 2 whole numbers. If we don't know our pre-meal levels we can't calculate the rise.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Your HbA1c of 84 equates to running a blood sugar at 13 mmol/l on average, which is really high.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
I ditched bread on diagnosis. You need to make changes to your meals and test before your meal and two hours afterwards to see what works for you.

pinkjude

If it averaged that level the hba1c would be about 75

Obviously though your bg changes throughout the day

Bread will have about 18g carbs so depending on you allowance of carbs a day then yes you may choose to lose the bread
Thankyou

pinkjude

Your HbA1c of 84 equates to running a blood sugar at 13 mmol/l on average, which is really high.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
I ditched bread on diagnosis. You need to make changes to your meals and test before your meal and two hours afterwards to see what works for you.
I have started the NHS low carb programme and couldnt test before I ate as my meter didnt arrive until 11.30 am. I have stopped bread but for some reason this morning had a small slice. I will not do that again. Thanks

pinkjude

What was your level before eating? It's important to know this, as the problem is if your after meal levels go up by more than 2 whole numbers. If we don't know our pre-meal levels we can't calculate the rise.
I couldn't test before I ate as my meter only arrived in the post today so definately tomorrow I will do that. I will ditch the bread too

Reactions: lucylocket61

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I couldn't test before I ate as my meter only arrived in the post today so definately tomorrow I will do that. I will ditch the bread too

Make sure your hands are clean.... sometimes people forget to do this.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you may find that you can eat some bread. Good luck with the testing, your meter is your friend : )

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember that it may take several weeks for your blood sugar levels to go down to normal levels. You are doing well after only a few weeks.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps can you give an idea of what you are eating daily please? We may be able to help you tweak it to be more effective.

Reactions: VashtiB

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pinkjude I am totally the same as you my Hba1c has gone from 69 to 49. And now back in the 60s.. I have lost weight but my levels are still approx 11 ! I’m stressed at mo does anyone think this could be the cause ?

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pinkjude I am totally the same as you my Hba1c has gone from 69 to 49. And now back in the 60s.. I have lost weight but my levels are still approx 11 ! I’m stressed at mo does anyone think this could be the cause ?
I am eating 150 g of carbs a day..and 1500 cals tia

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Loads of things can affect it, including stress!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress definitely can cause your levels to be higher. As I find it difficult to manage stress, sleeplessness etc I keep my carbs very minimal as they are something I can control.

Good luck.

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stress definitely can cause your levels to be higher. As I find it difficult to manage stress, sleeplessness etc I keep my carbs very minimal as they are something I can control.

Good luck.
Thank you

pinkjude

I joined the NHS low carb programme following a link from this site and its great! The website is so informative. At 11 am m -f you can log on to a session with a moderator so I did that and she guided me round and showed me the list they have of green, red and amber foods. I printed these off. It was interesting to see carrots and some other foods on the amber list so eat in moderation and my balsamic vinegar has been ditched now. There are loads of recipes, cook along cookery videos, exercise videos and much more. Last night I joined the newbie zoom session for an hour from 6-7. Really helpful and I met people like me and people with success stories after completing the programme. I highly recommend it. I got my after breakfast reading at 8.5 today but it was 9.9 on waking so odd it dropped! keep in touch and we can motivate each other. My D nurse said stress and poor sleep can push levels up and stress is part of my issue. I found a reflexologist locally online and she has offered a session tonight which is a group zoom session where she will guide us through a face reflexology routine which is meant to help stress and aid sleep. Only 7.50 for 30 mins so thought I'll give it a go