Reducing insulin

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A simpe question.... is it safe to reduce insulin a little if blood sugars reduce and stay low? Can't ask my nurse as she is the only one we have and is on annual leave! And anyway, would rather go to those who really know about diabetes, ie the patients. Thank you.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
My doses change every day as I follow my blood sugar numbers. I never just give a fixed dose.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Like @ert, I adjust my insulin all the time, according to the carbs I eat and my blood sugar. All sorts of things effect my insulin sensitivity,: exercise, illness, stress and sometimes it seems just the colour of socks I wear that morning :).

But I wouldn't reduce my insulin dose unless my levels were going too low.

What sort of insulin regime are you on and how low are your levels going?

Reactions: ert

Rubette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you ladies, clear answers at last. I never knew you could adjust down as well as up. I am on Insuman Basal, 36 units a day
but because of other health conditions and drugs taken for them, plus age, my fasting levels are higher than most people, rarely below 10, often 14. Daytime ones are high, always have been, because I eat a slice of toast at breakfast, as one of my morning drugs has to be taken with food and I cant stomach the idea of eating anything else. Plus I have to have a little starchy carb with meals. So now this last few days they have dropped right down to 5, which must have been too low for me as I almost collapsed, and now it is low at bedtime, often the same level as my original fasting level and lower, and being scared they might drop too low and I might not wake up, I am eating carbs before bed but still getting 5.5! Don't understand it. So I had been thinking of dropping down to 34 units, what do you think?