Rant

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yeah, I tend to get rollercoaster days for no apparent reason.
I have just accepted that it does indeed happen and deal with as best I can, and not speculate about it

Reactions: dani96xx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @dani96xx

Yes - despite my best intentions, having one now, was in perfect range this morning, went for a run, had a bath, low carb snack and I am currently sat at 12.4... do the same thing again tomorrow and I could be at 8.7. That's T1 life sadly..

Sometimes it does help to know as it could be bolus calculation or if there's a pattern it could be basal issue, otherwise so many other factors like stress, hormones, heat, bad insulin, bad site.

Reactions: suk and dani96xx

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes, every time I'm getting on top of things my blood sugar randomly goes up, and once it's up it seems to take infinite quantities of insulin to get down. I keep throwing out half used cartridges of lantus because I'm not sure if they are working properly. And once it's come down I then spend all night scoffing sugar to stop hypos.

Sigh. Modern technology is wonderful, but sometimes I think it was easier when I didn't know about the spikes. :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
That'll be the waning cresent moon phase (as good a reason as any).

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes its human error like the time I forget to re plug in my pump, mechanical error (pump fail) but sometimes it is seemingly random usually just when I think I have sussed my basal rate then it was nighttime hypo followed by high etcetera etcetera.
Some kind of metaphor for life which diabetics get to live out at triple speed.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Pragmatically my levels fluctuate a great deal in spite of my best intentions (but less than stellar execution) to standardise my diet, exercise, timing of all activities, sleeping, stress levels, etc not to mention factors outside my control such as ambient temperature. On MDI but using a Dexcom G6 so now resigned to just lots of corrections and constant tweaking of bolus ratios and a bit less frequently of basal doses.

Just react / correct as best you can and move on, but don't get hung up about erratic levels - that will simply exacerbate any stress reactions.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
That happens if I take the eye off my blood sugars. I have to constantly monitor and react.

Seaquest

Reading the interesting items above No Rhyme or reason is an accurate description of the illness ,there is no explanation for Blood Sugar levels at times.I , you cant explain it top consultants certainly cant.I know I've been on pork insulin for 39 years,not a long time compared to some of the contributors on this forum .I take two pork insulin injections daily,I owe the pig animal a debt of gratitude BIG TIME.Something I find amusing is they told me in Clinic 4 or 5 injections daily was a Huge advance on 2 injections daily realy somehow I dont think so.They need to up their game as after a short period on Human/Synthetic insulin which nearly killed me I say forget it 2 jabs is my limit ok cheers.

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, thank you for all your replies. I would like to say today has been a better day but it really hasn't! Last week I kept having hypos so reduced my fast acting which worked for a few days and have now been experiencing highs so have been taking correction doses and tweaking my fast acting and still sitting high hopefully tomorrow will be a better day

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @dani96xx

Yes - despite my best intentions, having one now, was in perfect range this morning, went for a run, had a bath, low carb snack and I am currently sat at 12.4... do the same thing again tomorrow and I could be at 8.7. That's T1 life sadly..

Sometimes it does help to know as it could be bolus calculation or if there's a pattern it could be basal issue, otherwise so many other factors like stress, hormones, heat, bad insulin, bad site.
It is frustrating that so many different factors can affect your blood sugar, maybe this random weather has had an affect!

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, every time I'm getting on top of things my blood sugar randomly goes up, and once it's up it seems to take infinite quantities of insulin to get down. I keep throwing out half used cartridges of lantus because I'm not sure if they are working properly. And once it's come down I then spend all night scoffing sugar to stop hypos.

Sigh. Modern technology is wonderful, but sometimes I think it was easier when I didn't know about the spikes. :)
This is exactly how I feel! Usually I go through longer periods of having good blood sugars. I used to feel sorry for people who would struggle with their blood sugars despite trying and I feel like I'm becoming one of those people!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It is frustrating that so many different factors can affect your blood sugar, maybe this random weather has had an affect!

The rise and fall in temperature could very well be a factor, also female hormones, just check your sites and change insulin and know your not alone.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every day is a rollacoster with my blood sugars. No matter how hard I try. Blood sugars crash at 4pm and about 6am most days. Post meal they rise upto 20mmols and take a good 6 hours to reduce to 10mmols. In between all that it's around it's around 13-15mmols.