searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Thank you HSSS, I've just ordered one, I always wanted to try one to compare it to the libre!!! Thanks so much for this post. x

You will find it more accurate than libre

Reactions: KK123

jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Thank you for the information. I had nothing but trouble with the sensors from Libra, so now I use an over expensive blood glucose test machine. So have signed up so hopefully will be better.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the information. Have signed up for the free trial. Looking forward to seeing how it differs from Libre, hopefully more accurate

Thanks again

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the information. Have signed up for the free trial. Looking forward to seeing how it differs from Libre, hopefully more accurate

Thanks again

Me too, the only issue (and it's a biggie) is that if you get the libre on prescription as I do, I'm guessing you'd have to pay around £100 a month for the Dexcom?? I DO like the libre but it's just not that accurate when I'm in the lowish 4s so keeps messing up my data! x

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Me too, the only issue (and it's a biggie) is that if you get the libre on prescription as I do, I'm guessing you'd have to pay around £100 a month for the Dexcom?? I DO like the libre but it's just not that accurate when I'm in the lowish 4s so keeps messing up my data! x
Currently for a private prescription I pay £159 pm for Dexcom G6. I believe the upcoming G7 "might" be more economically priced (completely re-engineered) but earliest release date in UK end 2021, more likely sometime in 2022?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Oddly,. I had a hypo this afternoon. Busy on a job in Swindon. I got an alarm like a flat line on a hear monitor if it drops.

3.9 it kicked off.. & I hit "snooze." "Boulder dash," I was fine..20 minutes later I didn't feel the fine vibe, 3.4mmol on the readout.
A check with my meter 4.1. Allowing for the time lag. thats 0.2 out.. I'm still reasonably impressed. Though I was at the time more interested in necking 10g of carbs..

There is one issue with the Libre. Comming back up from one. It is slower to respond than what the meter says & how I feel. I still always carry my meter. Especially when driving.
I'm still hypo awair.
However. It does help head one off in the first place, providing one heeds the "beepaphone." :banghead:;):D

Reactions: KK123

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Oddly,. I had a hypo this afternoon. Busy on a job in Swindon. I got an alarm like a flat line on a hear monitor if it drops.

3.9 it kicked off.. & I hit "snooze." "Boulder dash," I was fine..20 minutes later I didn't feel the fine vibe, 3.4mmol on the readout.
A check with my meter 4.1. Allowing for the time lag. thats 0.2 out.. I'm still reasonably impressed. Though I was at the time more interested in necking 10g of carbs..

There is one issue with the Libre. Comming back up from one. It is slower to respond than what the meter says & how I feel. I still always carry my meter. Especially when driving.
I'm still hypo awair.
However. It does help head one off in the first place, providing one heeds the "beepaphone." :banghead:;):D

The magic roundabout is enough to give me a hypo

Whoever designed that was on magic mushrooms

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

So the Dexy arrived today.. (True to their word.) Decisions decisions. I'm due changing the sensor.
Lol, the box is bigger than expected too..

image.jpeg

Reactions: HSSS

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine arrived today too. I'm contemplating sticking it on my other arm so I can test it and the libre simultaneously!

Lol, I self fund I can check these things against my meter. Along with any signal drop out incidence compared to what I use now? (I have tested the L2 simoltainiously using the BT bridge & the BT from the sensor..
I found the MM2 a stronger signal on my device..

However, I have a fair bit of work on this week, (busy landscaping company.) & should change sensor tonight.
I really need some time to getting my head round the Dexy & find out "what's in the box.."

I'll probably bang on the Libre.. But I am interested in how you get on. Along with any seasoned user's tips for the Dexy.
I got a feeling I will be perusing Dex users on YouTube later..

Reactions: KK123 and Antje77

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You Legend!

I have just had mine arrive today. I am coming out of my honeymoon now ( 8 months off insulin!! ) and will need to start back on Levemir on ASAP.

I feel a lot more at ease and confident with doing this now, as I can follow patterns and understand how much natural insulin I have left and how it will work with Levemir and Novorapid, until my pancreas finally gives up it's fight!. My fear, was going to have hypo's everyday again, but this has eased that suppressed anger ( anxiety ) towards it.

This came at such a right time for me. Thank you again.!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On a related topic I am ware that \Dexcom works with tandem iq pumps to form the nearest thing to an artificial pancreas in that it senses an impending low and suspends insulin delivery and conversely increases insulin delivery when the minute by minute, glucose reading trends upwards.
Sounds good on paper but the encouraging news for me is that my Surrey Downs CCG has it an option on the approved pump systems list and have heard anecdotally that it is very good or 'life changing'.
So I am going to give the Dexcom free trial a go. Thanks!

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I love my dexcom. but it's $389.50 a month in New Zealand (about GBP 200). I am truly lucky to be able to afford it and am always aware that at any time allergy issues may make me go back to blood testing (50 tests a week).

I've twinned mine to a fitbit versa 2 watch (glance watch face is free with an optional paypal donation to developer) so I can see my levels on my wrist. The glance watchface tends to lag slightly behind the phonre app, so you'll want to haul your phone out if you go low. My alarms go off at 4.4 and 11 on the phone (the low is 3 very loud beeps which definitely wake you at night, the high can be muted to a vibrate), 4 and 10 vibrate on the watch. The alarm levels can be altered, but I haven't bothered.

When seriously hypo (doesn't happen often because I can usually stave it off) I get my glucometer out, because the transmitter only sends a reading every 5 minutes and if I'm heading down to the low 3s I test more often to ensure that my levels are heading back up. Seems to be less of a lag than with the libre 1. The watch is prone to losing the signal because it depends on the dexcom follower app (ie your phone sends its readings up to the cloud, who then send it back down to the phone/watch combo, so there's more opportunity to lose the signal, specially if you're out of phone signal range. If you happen to have a watch with the OS wear operating system on it you could download glance and give it a go though.

I find it pretty accurate, though new sensors sometimes under read at night, so I try to insert them in the morning. There is a calibrate option if your dexcom is out compared to your glucometer but I've hardly ever needed to use it.

Dexcom customer service are incredibly helpful.

Inserting the sensor is very easy but adding the reusable transmitter to the sensor can be a bit fiddly (make sure to press it down firmly) , and I actually find removing the transmitter from a used sensor the most difficult. (The transmitter lasts 3 months so you have to take it off your old sensor and put it on your new one. That makes it not very cost effective to use dexcom only some of the time, as once you've activated your transmitter it'll wear out in 3 months.

Allergies. Since I started applying cavillon to my skin before applying the sensor to my abdomen I haven't had any issues, though my arms got irritated when I tried rotating the sensor there. Dexcom freely admit that some people have allergy issues and make helpful suggestions, unlike Abbott who have their heads firmly stuck in the sand of denial on that subject.

I love my dexcom.
:):):)

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would be really interesting to hear any experiences of libre 2 vs dexcom when people have had chance to try them. Especially as the dexcom seems bigger than the libre maybe because you have to add the transmitter? Been using libre 2 with the diabox app which gets updates every minute and I don't have an extra transmitter on my libre sensor as I am not keen on the extra bulk.

How long do the dexcom sensors usually keep for? Would be keen to try one but probably not until the summer - happy with my 14 day libre rota atm and don't want the 10 day dexcom lifespan to mess that up just yet I expect they've had to do the free trial to rival the Libre 2 free trial so hope it will run for a little longer!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I started using the Dexcom G6 yesterday afternoon and it kept telling me I was hypoing below 2.8 mmol/l every couple of hours even though my blood sugars were above 5 mmol/l. I added calibrations, but too many as now it has errorred and stopped working. I phoned Dexcom and they are sending me another. I am to add a single calibration and just ignore the data for the first couple of days as it settles. Adding too many calibrations will kill it. Here I thought it would be better than the Libre? Anyone else experienced this?

I've just managed to get it working again on the X-drip, but not the Dexcom iphone app. :)

Last edited: