Type 1 Several episodes of hypoglycemia, out of the blue!

victorpereira

Hey guys, I have diabetes type 1 for 16 years, I exercise at least 4 times a week and manage it really well, to give you an idea, after seeing my blood exams the doctor said I didn't really need the nutritionist from the team because I was doing a really good job by myself.

But something really weird has happening in the last days and it has been harming my day-to-day life: I'm having hypoglycemia out of the blue, and these are lasting 1 hour+ (I have to be checking every 10 minutes when it happens).

I haven't increase any dosage neither changed anything in my diet, I have been busy these days, so no exercise, so I don't know what is really going on.

DETAILS:

It started 5 days ago, after some time of my Lantus injection I had a really severe hypoglicemia episode (and also in the next day). It never happened to me before, but after some research I found I could have injected into my blood vessel or muscle, hence it act as fast-acting. Given the amount of water+sugar I needed to drink, I got gastroesophageal reflux disease, which made me sleep badly some days since there.

Ok, so I switched the insulin Lantus package (just to make sure), and I've applying in my belly to make sure it is subcutaneous (I have some fat in there). Even though, yesterday I had an hypoglycemia episode, not critical as the first one, but it made my reflux come back and have a bad night of sleep.

I'm not sure what is happening within my body, did it happened to anyone before? It is really annoying.

Thanks!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @victorpereira

Firstly is there a pattern to the times of these events, so same time of day ? Where were you injecting into and at what time of day ? Also out of interest why do you relate this to the lantus injection ? Hypo events can also be related to incorrect bolus calculations too so curious to see why you think it's your lantus.

victorpereira

Hello and welcome to the forum @victorpereira

Firstly is there a pattern to the times of these events, so same time of day ? Where were you injecting into and at what time of day ? Also out of interest why do you relate this to the lantus injection ? Hypo events can also be related to incorrect bolus calculations too so curious to see why you think it's your lantus.

There's no pattern, I had one episode yesterday before bed time and I'm having one right now, both after take lispro (fast-acting), but these are persistent hypos, it is not like "one drink" and I solve it, I take several drinks. The lispro amount is the same as I ALWAYS take, it is senseless, gonna decrease in my next meal.

About the Lantus: the hypos I got days ago were really severe, and last for 1:30+, I suspect it was a problem with the Lantus insulin or the way I took it (because it act as fast-acting). Why do I suspect it was the Lantus? I took 30 UI and only this amount would cause the severe hypo I had.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had a Lantus low before & it was much more severe than other hypos. The odd post pops up every now & again about it so if you search the forum for Lantus lows you should see more opinion & experiences.

Mine was just a one off, the only change I made was to make sure I ate breakfast with my Lantus dose. I alway have a low carb breakfast so no bolus needed.

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there, no idea what your circumstances are so please don't take offence - unexpected/unexplained hypos can be a sign of early pregnancy in women with T1DM....

Just a thought.

D x