Metformin

pms543

I seem to have been on this medication forever! Is there any reliable info out there, folks know about, I can read to discover anything re taking this long term? Thanks in advance.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to have been on this medication forever! Is there any reliable info out there, folks know about, I can read to discover anything re taking this long term? Thanks in advance.
I was on it for over a decade, so how long is forever?
I had some folate issues I needed to supplement for but that should be checked as part of your yearly review

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/

Really any info I’d find would be a google into medical research papers

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Andy, forever as in since diagnosed = 11 years
I was about 12 years and it was okay, but very sensible to understand long term potential issues. Is there a particular reason you are asking or just a general understanding of the risks?

pms543

I was about 12 years and it was okay, but very sensible to understand long term potential issues. Is there a particular reason you are asking or just a general understanding of the risks?

Just a general understanding I think, it just seems so long i guess. I am embarking on a lower carb eating regime and understand if my blood sugars lower, i can request if i may reduce them...or at the very least be able to stop taking them!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a general understanding I think, it just seems so long i guess. I am embarking on a lower carb eating regime and understand if my blood sugars lower, i can request if i may reduce them...or at the very least be able to stop taking them!
Yes, that’s what I did
Once your hba1c levels are below pre diabetic levels it is a conversation you could have. Your choice as it does have other effects but I chose after 12 years I wanted to be drug free

will keep monitoring though as if my body decides it needs help I want to be all over it

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

If there is something I need to know more about I start with websites similar to diabetes.co.uk and then Google which often goes back to one of the previously mentioned websites. There's information on Youtube but again a quick Google will point to those anyway. Obviously you have to be careful when reading anything on the internet.

I've been taking Metformin for 24 years with a short break when I was so fed up with the side effects. A low carb diet and Metformin SR seem to have stopped those side effects. I question it's effectiveness because in theory, if the blurb is anything to go by, Metformin should help with higher BG in the morning (dawn phenomena), but I see little evidence myself.It's supposed to stop the liver from producing so much glucogen.

I haven't Googled for a while and I'm now seeing that the FDA has recalled some brands of Metformin. It might be worth a discussion with the doctor who prescribed it.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Metformin SR for 15 years now with no problems. It's a very safe drug which you can take long-term. If your weight and blood sugar come down into a good range it could be stopped.

Reactions: pms543