BS of 11.7 2 hours after breakfast

pinkjude

Ps can you give an idea of what you are eating daily please? We may be able to help you tweak it to be more effective.
9.9 before breakfast and 8.5 2 hours after. Seems odd it dropped?
Breakfast is usually 2 eggs scrambled or poached egg and mushrooms or scrambled egg with smoked salmon
Lunch is salad with leaves, olives, cucumber, celery, and some protein from hummus / prawns/ avocado/ tofu/ tuna etc and sometimes I add a spoonful of pulses. Dinner last night and tonight is a stirfry using broccoli, garlic, pakchoi, ginger, spring onions, tofu and red peppers. Dessert was blueberries. I had 3 raw almonds and 3 raw brazil nuts.

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I joined the NHS low carb programme following a link from this site and its great! The website is so informative. At 11 am m -f you can log on to a session with a moderator so I did that and she guided me round and showed me the list they have of green, red and amber foods. I printed these off. It was interesting to see carrots and some other foods on the amber list so eat in moderation and my balsamic vinegar has been ditched now. There are loads of recipes, cook along cookery videos, exercise videos and much more. Last night I joined the newbie zoom session for an hour from 6-7. Really helpful and I met people like me and people with success stories after completing the programme. I highly recommend it. I got my after breakfast reading at 8.5 today but it was 9.9 on waking so odd it dropped! keep in touch and we can motivate each other. My D nurse said stress and poor sleep can push levels up and stress is part of my issue. I found a reflexologist locally online and she has offered a session tonight which is a group zoom session where she will guide us through a face reflexology routine which is meant to help stress and aid sleep. Only 7.50 for 30 mins so thought I'll give it a go
Hi thank you for your help.. I’m struggling with anxiety big time after having been diagnosed with cancer just before lockdown. I think I just ate what I wanted to try and console myself. Now I’m finding it so hard controlling myself and my DN said not to beat myself up I’ve just checked my blood 13.5 !!

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.9 before breakfast and 8.5 2 hours after. Seems odd it dropped?
Breakfast is usually 2 eggs scrambled or poached egg and mushrooms or scrambled egg with smoked salmon
Lunch is salad with leaves, olives, cucumber, celery, and some protein from hummus / prawns/ avocado/ tofu/ tuna etc and sometimes I add a spoonful of pulses. Dinner last night and tonight is a stirfry using broccoli, garlic, pakchoi, ginger, spring onions, tofu and red peppers. Dessert was blueberries. I had 3 raw almonds and 3 raw brazil nuts.
That’s brilliant well done

pinkjude

Hi thank you for your help.. I’m struggling with anxiety big time after having been diagnosed with cancer just before lockdown. I think I just ate what I wanted to try and console myself. Now I’m finding it so hard controlling myself and my DN said not to beat myself up I’ve just checked my blood 13.5 !!

pinkjude

Its no wonder you are stressed, sorry about your diagnosis. Diabetes is such a hard disease to live with and many don't understand. I think my stress stemmed from my mum in law dying last November and we couldnt go to the funeral but had to arrange it. We are now trying to sell the house etc. She lived in Belfast and my sis in law who lives there is recovering from leukemia and a bone marrow transplant. I had a fall and damaged my achilles tendon which is still not right 3 months on. I had to pay for physio and now I have exercises to do and have to ice it several times a day. This has impacted on the exercise I can do. My weakness is crisps but I have cut them out bar the odd amount that fit in the palm of my hand. I have bought popping corn and pop it myself and either eat plain or with paprika.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am eating 150 g of carbs a day..and 1500 cals tia
Stress can raise levels. But then 150g carbs would have a lot of us to be up in the 60’s. It’s only just low enough to even be called low carb. Why not try lowering it further and seeing what that does to the readings.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my after breakfast reading at 8.5 today but it was 9.9 on waking so odd it dropped
It’s actually quite common. A thing called dawn phenomenon pushes glucose levels up on waking (to help you get up and going). In type 2 it’s not well regulated. After a while of being up it falls by itself. The good news is whatever breakfast was it didn’t prevent that fall. Fasting levels are often the last ones of the day to get where you want them as a result. It won’t stop an improvement of hb1ac if the rest of the day is on track.

pinkjude

It’s actually quite common. A thing called dawn phenomenon pushes glucose levels up on waking (to help you get up and going). In type 2 it’s not well regulated. After a while of being up it falls by itself. The good news is whatever breakfast was it didn’t prevent that fall. Fasting levels are often the last ones of the day to get where you want them as a result. It won’t stop an improvement of hb1ac if the rest of the day is on track.
Thanks.I just tested and its 8.8 so I can see an improvement from where I started. Breakfast was only scrambled eggs but I am not sure if thats enough by itself

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.I just tested and its 8.8 so I can see an improvement from where I started. Breakfast was only scrambled eggs but I am not sure if thats enough by itself
Eggs are great. You can make them more filling by adding butter, cheese, cold meats, tinned fish, spinach, veg leftovers, mushrooms, more eggs. Anything really.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When testing try and link the results to understanding. Random tests don’t teach us much interesting as they might be. Fasting, before and after meals do. Keep a record of what meals/foods/activities etc relate to what rises and falls. If you can see for example a slice of bread predictably causes a rise of X then you learn if it’s a problem or not. After a while most of us test less often as like all humans we tend to stick to a limited number of foods repeated and just check once in a while to see if our response is still the same.

pinkjude

Eggs are great. You can make them more filling by adding butter, cheese, cold meats, tinned fish, spinach, veg leftovers, mushrooms, more eggs. Anything really.
Today it was 8.3 on waking but 8.6 after breakfast yet I had the same breakfast as yesterday but with mushrooms. I used rapeseed oil though rather than butter which I used yesterday so will experiment but I still need to get it down further

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today it was 8.3 on waking but 8.6 after breakfast yet I had the same breakfast as yesterday but with mushrooms. I used rapeseed oil though rather than butter which I used yesterday so will experiment but I still need to get it down further
The difference of 0.3 is well within meter tolerances and barely means anything. Good call to avoid rapeseed oil. Processed seed oils have way too much omega 6 for a good daily ratio with omega 3 and are an issue all of their own. I realise it’s frustrating but as well as breakfast how you slept, what you ate last night can also effect readings day to day. Day to day the dawn phenomenon can vary. You woke up lower today, maybe with less DP.. So breakfast might have has the same effect as yesterday once you account for that. This is why we check foods a few times not just once. To get a reasonable trend and expectation not a definitive number.

pinkjude

The difference of 0.3 is well within meter tolerances and barely means anything. Good call to avoid rapeseed oil. Processed seed oils have way too much omega 6 for a good daily ratio with omega 3 and are an issue all of their own. I realise it’s frustrating but as well as breakfast how you slept, what you ate last night can also effect readings day to day. Day to day the dawn phenomenon can vary. You woke up lower today, maybe with less DP.. So breakfast might have has the same effect as yesterday once you account for that. This is why we check foods a few times not just once. To get a reasonable trend and expectation not a definitive number.
Thanks. Its now 7 but could be a false reading and I will see what happens after lunch. I didnt sleep too badly last night but my sleep isnt good at the best of times. I need to look at alcohol too. I tend to have a drink then bed which can't be good so must stop at 9 and then have a herbal tea etc . Its all a minefield isnt it esp as you mainly have to do this yourself with the help of lovely people like yourselves whose help is very appreciated