AstraZeneca worries?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is anyone else a bit concerned surrounding the latest news on the AstraZeneca vaccine? I had first vaccine on the 27th March. Blood sugars were fine for the first 5 days after and now they’ve shot up to uncontrollable levels despite doubling insulin. My team says I must have illness or infection as they don’t believe it’s anything to do with the vaccine, but I feel perfectly healthy aside from the fatigue and feeling groggy that persistent high sugar causes me, no coughs, colds etc.

not being able to control my sugars has really put me off having the second vaccine, with the blood clot risk for my age group adding to a lot of concerns. Has anyone been having the same issues with persistent highs??

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just finished watching this interesting discussion on the A-Z vaccine and the chance of blood clots.

In it he specifically and clearly states that the UK evidence shows any recorded blood clot issues have occurred within 2 weeks of the first (and only the first) jab. No cases after the second jab.

since you are now outside the 2 week window, you can breathe a sigh of relief, and can go ahead with the second jab - if you want.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I mentioned in another thread I've had similar not the same, with my Basal Requirements yo-yo-ing. Like you, my only other symptoms are all rather simply explained by persistently high blood sugars. My GP took some Blood Tests to check what's going on, so if anything comes up, I'll share.

For me, personally, I do wonder if there's a weird interaction between my Tresiba and the Vaccine. Tresiba doesn't tend to do well with curveballs, and this is certainly one of those. Also, I've noticed my corrections are still working as anticipated which does suggest the Bolus is doing what it should be doing.

However, I still think taking my second dose is the best route for me, as I'm not entirely convinced by the evidence suggesting the AstraZeneca vaccine is dangerous.

*edited for clarity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just finished watching this interesting discussion on the A-Z vaccine and the chance of blood clots.

In it he specifically and clearly states that the UK evidence shows any recorded blood clot issues have occurred within 2 weeks of the first (and only the first) jab. No cases after the second jab.

since you are now outside the 2 week window, you can breathe a sigh of relief, and can go ahead with the second jab - if you want.

I'm not sure that a "retired nurse teacher" is qualified to pass judgement on the safety of a vaccine that has only been used for 4 months. We have little to no idea what the long term side-effects could be yet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure that a "retired nurse teacher" is qualified to pass judgement on the safety of a vaccine that has only been used for 4 months. We have little to no idea what the long term side-effects could be yet.

He is presenting documented evidence, not passing judgement.
It is a technique you would do well to learn.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He is presenting documented evidence, not passing judgement.
It is a technique you would do well to learn.

There is no documented evidence of long term effects of any of the current crop of vaccines.

The Phase 3 clinical trials are not even scheduled to completed until 2023.

Making claims about the "safety" of any of these experimental treatments is guesswork at best.

And I still question if he is qualified to make such pronouncements.

Reactions: pms543

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I don't think he is passing judgement on the safety @bulkbiker , he's simply bringing the facts together from reliable and informed people.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no documented evidence of long term effects of any of the current crop of vaccines.

Making claims about the "safety" of any of these experimental treatments is guesswork at best.

@bulkbiker
You are, once again, attempting to derail a thread with your specific preoccupations. Please desist.
You are also, once again, failing to read a post of mine, and answering something I have not written.

The OP mentioned currently raised blood glucose levels and concerns about blood clots.
I provided an informative and accessible link to current info.
You proceeded to try and derail with a tangential hobby horse on the as-yet-unknown-possibilities of potential side effects in the vague future.

As you have already been told, multiple times, if you wish to discuss your favourite preoccupations, please start threads of your own rather than derail someone else’s thread. If your preoccupations are not specifically diabetes related, then please start those threads in the General Chat subforum.

Reactions: UK T1

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

He does say the "data is evolving" but he does not make any claims. I agree with @Brunneria , he's just saying what is known so far. I'm going to have my next vaccination because the risk is worth it.

Reactions: KK123
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
He does say the "data is evolving" but he does not make any claims. I agree with @Brunneria , he's just saying what is known so far. I'm going to have my next vaccination because the risk is worth it.

I have just listened to it and he is showing current documentation regarding possible blood clots from AZ.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
With vaccines there is always some concern regarding side affects, especially brand new ones.
I took the choice to have the vaccine, mine was pfizer. My school driver had the AZ vaccine and he didn't even have a sore arm, he's in his 40's.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing I know for sure is that even mild Covid-19 (I wasn't hospitalised for it) causes blood clots. I had them. My cousin had Covid-19 and died of a stroke 4 months later. Covid19 blood clots, maybe, maybe not but he had never had blood issues before.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I mentioned in another thread I've had similar not the same, with my Basal Requirements yo-yo-ing. Like you, my only other symptoms are all rather simply explained by persistently high blood sugars. My GP took some Blood Tests to check what's going on, so if anything comes up, I'll share.

For me, personally, I do wonder if there's a weird interaction between my Tresiba and the Vaccine. Tresiba doesn't tend to do well with curveballs, and this is certainly one of those. Also, I've noticed my corrections are still working as anticipated which does suggest the Bolus is doing what it should be doing.

However, I still think taking my second dose is the best route for me, as I'm not entirely convinced by the evidence suggesting the AstraZeneca vaccine is dangerous.

*edited for clarity

my corrections work like anticipated like yourself, it’s my basal that seems to be off which is throwing everything else off. But I’ve increased and increased, had hypos at night so decreased by 1 unit, then the next night my sugar won’t go below 12. So frustrating isn’t it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is anyone else a bit concerned surrounding the latest news on the AstraZeneca vaccine? I had first vaccine on the 27th March. Blood sugars were fine for the first 5 days after and now they’ve shot up to uncontrollable levels despite doubling insulin. My team says I must have illness or infection as they don’t believe it’s anything to do with the vaccine, but I feel perfectly healthy aside from the fatigue and feeling groggy that persistent high sugar causes me, no coughs, colds etc.

not being able to control my sugars has really put me off having the second vaccine, with the blood clot risk for my age group adding to a lot of concerns. Has anyone been having the same issues with persistent highs??

As you were fine for the first 5 days, I wouldn't of thought the AZ jab was related, but I am not a medical person and it's only a guess. Sometimes with Type 1, we can get erratic BS for no reason, Type 1 can be predictably unpredictable.
I hope your BS settles down soon. X

Reactions: EllieM

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing I know for sure is that even mild Covid-19 (I wasn't hospitalised for it) causes blood clots. I had them. My cousin had Covid-19 and died of a stroke 4 months later. Covid19 blood clots, maybe, maybe not but he had never had blood issues before.

This is something I’m aware of and also in comparison to female contraception the risk of blood clot from AstraZeneca is lower. I think the media has just fear mongered me slightly, I think because I’ve not been as active recently from shielding with my daughter and also being a smoker I suppose I’m assessing my risk would be slightly higher due to my lifestyle. As smoking and low activity contributes to risk of blood clot.

Reactions: hankjam

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my corrections work like anticipated like yourself, it’s my basal that seems to be off which is throwing everything else off. But I’ve increased and increased, had hypos at night so decreased by 1 unit, then the next night my sugar won’t go below 12. So frustrating isn’t it.
With that extra context, it sounds exactly like mine. The only comfort I can offer is the spikes generally get less intense as time goes on. So I hope that's a sign that it's getting better. The only difference is mine went crazy the first five days.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you were fine for the first 5 days, I wouldn't of thought the AZ jab was related, but I am not a medical person and it's only a guess. Sometimes with Type 1, we can get erratic BS for no reason, Type 1 can be predictably unpredictable.
I hope your BS settles down soon. X

I agree something else could be at play, but I’ve not changed anything in routine, and I’ve never struggled like this with control. Physically and mentally I feel fine, I don’t have any physical symptoms of illness so the only thing realistically I could relate it to is either vaccine or hormones? But again I am not on any hormone therapy, pregnant nor premenstral. I just want to get my sugar back under control so I can start feeling more like myself

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With that extra context, it sounds exactly like mine. The only comfort I can offer is the spikes generally get less intense as time goes on. So I hope that's a sign that it's getting better. The only difference is mine went crazy the first five days.

have you had both vaccines by chance? I’m just horrified that if I can’t control it after the first vaccine it’s very possible the second will push it up further.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
have you had both vaccines by chance? I’m just horrified that if I can’t control it after the first vaccine it’s very possible the second will push it up further.
No, I'm six weeks out from the First Vaccine. From what I've been able to read, others have not been as affected as much by the second dose.