Whey protein - good or bad for type 1

Nick Watts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi forum

Can someone advise if whey protein shakes are OK as a snacking option?

I’ve only recently been diagnosed so still finding my feet with all the good or bad choices we all have to make.

FYI, I’m on 2 units of NovoRapid pre meals and Metformin 3 times as a day.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Nick

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Nick, as someone who attends the gym 6 days a week weight training I consume a lot of whey protein. Minimum 3 shakes a day, if I’m having oats for breakfast I’ll also have a scoop mixed in with my oats. Most whey’s are basically carb free so you won’t need to take insulin for them.

Now to complicate things a little, if you are eating low carb to help with your diabetes or ever decide to go low carb you will most likely need to take insulin for the protein content. This is something that’s recently just happened with me, usually I’d never ever take insulin for any protein source but this last week I decided to go low carb (less than 30g a day) & it’s played havoc with my bloods because I didn’t realise that I would need to take insulin for it. If your eating a normal amount of carbs you won’t need to worry about covering protein with insulin but as above if you go low carb it’s something you’ll need to consider.

Nick Watts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Maco
Not on a low carb regime more than regulating what I eat with the insulin.
I may try one and monitor my levels which I’m doing with all my foods at the moment anyway.
Thank you.

Reactions: Maco