"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb have you got your pills organised now and are you feeling better? Big steps forward with grandson this week - he asked to go out an play at break which is huge for a child who was afraid to leave his house. On the other side, my brother is now showing a marked deterioration. About the only thing I'm thankful for is still no pain. Regretfully, I recognise all the signs. I'm just keeping on going and being as normal as possible.

Sorry to hear of the deterioration in your brother's condition. It must be so hard to bear. At least he is not in pain, so that's a blessing.

I decided to take it slowly when introducing new pills - just so that I can tell what side effects each was having. So I started the easy way with the aspirin - no ill effects, but I didn't expect any. Then, because Neil got me an appointment for my 2nd jab, I decided to wait and see what the after effects of that would be - just a sore arm and shoulder. Tomorrow I will add in the antibiotic. That usually causes headaches and a kind of heartburn. Uncomfortable, but bearable. And only after that, I'll add in the nitrite (nitrate? not sure which it is). That's the really doubtful one - since it expands the blood vessels, it could lead to serious headaches/migraines. A doctor tried me on the sub-lingual one years ago and it was devastating - and it didn't fix the problem so I stopped taking it.

Haven't had any food yet today - just 3 cups of tea so far. Just can't be bothered to make any, but I must or my BG will go ridiculously high. I expect it will be Lorne sausage and egg and some mushrooms. Later I'll have one of the remaining avocados and some coleslaw - maybe on a veggie crispbread. That's all ready to go, so I expect I will bother with that. The task now is to motivate myself to put together the Lorne sausage, egg and mushrooms.

Edited to fix a typo.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 8.5 - seems to be settling around that now.
Brunch: vegetable soup from the freezer. I took 3 packets of frozen soup out to make a little bit of space and will have that over the next days. Feeling a bit out of sorts, including heartburn, which is not something I usually have. I don't think it's the jab, more likely lack of proper sleep - I spend much of the night in the big kitchen chair these days and, although I do sleep - it's more like dozing than actual sleep and I wake up with difficulty and very groggy.

Been looking into getting a new, small freezer, but I don't know if it would be a waste to spend £200 - £300 just to keep the overflow from the other 2 in it. Trying, instead, to clear some space in the big freezer. Heaven only knows how long some of its contents have been there or even what some of it is. Found a white bloomer loaf yesterday - more food for the hens. I'm pretty sure there will be meat for the dogs as well.

No 2 son is having to do much of the laundry work on top of his own job as a postie just now - DIL had an abscess on a tooth. The tooth had to come out but the abscess remained - her various allergies include most available antibiotics. It has, finally, burst but it has all resulted in her having a fairly serous epileptic episode. That knocked her for six and left a huge pile of laundry to be done. Cue No 2 son who was already doing all the household chores, walking the dogs, seeing to the hens and delivering the mail. Just as well he's capable. Em helps as much as she can, but her brother is at a difficult teenage stage and not exactly at the helpful stage (he's too much like his own father, who was a very difficult man). Em can manage some of the ironing and can sort the washing into the right fabric types, but can't be left to do it alone - too many dangers for an 8 year old but she works alongside her dad - it's the thought that counts.

Reminds me of the time when my late husband was away at sea, Neil was 4, his brother 18 months and I had caught hepatitis A which was going around Dumbarton at the time. Neil went to the local shop about a quarter of a mile away and bought bread, butter and tinned beans and fed his brother on beans on toast for 3 days, and did his best to take care of me and "the baby" until my mother arrived from Kent to look after us. It's surprising how much small children can step up to the mark when needed. It's only as they get older that they may become less willing.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's incredible for a 4 year old. Em as well for an eight year old. I couldn't see youngest grandson doing all that. That's a lot better on your BGs as well.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil always was older than his years and very capable at whatever he tried to do. A bit on the arrogant side as a result, but possibly justified. Now we know it isn't arrogance, just confidence. It used to be a bit of a problem (eg taking himself off to a book festival in Ullapool without telling us, at the age of 16, deciding to teach himself welsh instead of taking the proffered gaelic lessons at school at 12*, doing "excellent" free translation from latin but not bothering to follow the lessons offered in school at 15, being reported to me as "ah yes, Neil - he's quite a character" at parents' evenings). He always "knew" that he knew more than his teachers - and was often right! Those who did know more than him, he listened to and respected, but not the rest. I can see that he was not an easy pupil to get on with. But he was always clever.

* That was because his head teacher in the small village school he attended when we first came here, told him that his gaelic was excellent and he could be quite a gaelic scholar, if he so chose. He didn't so choose. Like his cousin, who dropped chess when he won the local school championship and was asked to play for the county association.

Soup for brunch today. That was at about 10.30. 2nd meal will be chicken braised in apple juice, left over from yesterday. Still emptying the freezer, hence the chicken.

More issues with my insulin supply - the pharmacy doesn't order it in until they get the prescription from the health centre and then it takes days to get here. Delayed further this time because of the snow on the mainland. Enough left in the last pen to tide me over until brunch tomorrow, so I have to hope it will get through. I've been putting off asking for more on the prescription because I think it will be changed in a week or so to, perhaps, Novorapid. But I can't carry on like this.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG up to 10.1 but that was after another disturbed night. It was 6.5 at 3.30 am.

Late brunch - about 2 pm - the last of the soup that I took out of the freezer a day or so ago. Tasted a bit odd, but it was allright.

Next meal will be more of the chicken and some mushrooms added to it. Might add in a potato, if* I can be bothered.

My Humalog pens came in to the pharmacy late yesterday so I went down to pick them up sort-of this morning (the wind and rain were atrocious so I put it off for a while). That's why the brunch was so late. I'd carried on round to the village Post Office/shop for some GF bread. While there I found some sardines in soya oil (never seen that before) so I bought some for Neil to try. That little trip really knocked me for 6 and I spent another 3/4 hour flopped in the big chair, listening to the wind howling in the chimney and bumping against the window, playing a weird kind of music around the door and window frames. It's cold but I'm refusing to put the heating on - my electricity bill just jumped by £35 a month and I'm being mean with the energy just now. So I'm wearing the big orange poncho that DIL knitted for me. It looks ridiculous, but it is very warm and it has sleeves knitted onto it which are too long for my arms, so they keep my hands warm as well - except when I am using the keyboard! Neil's wandering around wearing a fleecy jacket as well as a big jumper and a thick shirt, but he has a little oil filled radiator in his room to warm it up.

* Edited to fix typo fi to if.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Still snowy outside - currently a blizzard going on out there.

Up at 3.30 am, hurting so much I couldn't stay in bed. Pain killers (full dose) and watched TV until I drifted off about 7 am. Woke up soon after when Neil got up to make himself a soya drink. In and out of sleep thereafter until I made myself get up and dressed around 9 am.

Breakfast was sardines on 2 small slices of GF bread - around 10 am.

Been putting salads together to have later today - one of them is tomato with some chunks of cucumber, the other fennel, lemon and red onion. That's to go with the remains of the chicken (which I didn't bother with last night after all). Prepared early because I might not bother again later on. Also made a potato/fennel/onion bake with double cream and parmesan cheese - just a small dish. I might eat it, or I might not. Also baked a couple of potatoes - I found a few potatoes in the larder so decided I 'd better use them up, even if I don't eat them - the hens or dogs will if I don't.

I'm wondering if I can make sardine and tomato fish paste for spreading on toast - I used to love it, but when (years ago) my mother told me what went into it, I stopped buying it. My mother briefly worked in Shiphams factory in London when she left school (around 1932, I guess) and would never buy fish paste or even tinned soup as a result. Worth trying to make it.

I finally added the nitrite pill to the rest this morning - I wanted to know what effect it would have without getting mixed up with other new pills. The idea is to expand blood vessels to make it easier for the heart to work. The stuff that you spray under your tongue causes dreadful headaches and I wasn't keen on that. This is a small dose in the pill to start off with. Anyway, result - a headache, not unbearable, and return of the breathlessness, which had been improving. I'll keep taking it and see what the result is over a few days.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Light headed today - is that the new pill. I wonder. Also this evening had a real nosebleed - I do have tiny ones very often, but never one this bad; at least, not for many years. Wonder if that is something to do with the new pill.

I had half of the small dish of potato bake with half of the chicken and some of the salads. It was enough at the time, but feeling hungry now, despite indigestion - one of the new medications? Need to make a drink to try to settle it down.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My cleaner came this morning - first time for 2 weeks. Her mother has been unwell and needed help. She phoned last night and said she would come at 10 o'clock but then she slept in and arrived about 11.30. She's not long gone so I didn't have breakfast and will now have a late brunch. It will be the remainder of the chicken and potato thingy from yesterday. Might have some eggs later on as well. That should be enough for today. So far, I've only had my antibiotic but will need to have the rest of my pills - probably not until I've eaten something to "line" my stomach though.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My cleaner came this morning - first time for 2 weeks. Her mother has been unwell and needed help. She phoned last night and said she would come at 10 o'clock but then she slept in and arrived about 11.30. She's not long gone so I didn't have breakfast and will now have a late brunch. It will be the remainder of the chicken and potato thingy from yesterday. Might have some eggs later on as well. That should be enough for today. So far, I've only had my antibiotic but will need to have the rest of my pills - probably not until I've eaten something to "line" my stomach though.
I should have cleaned my house today but I have had a lazy Sunday instead. I had a busy day yesterday between getting my hair cut and coloured in the morning and then choosing new glasses in the afternoon. I always prefer to line my stomach as well if I am having tablets. I so cannot be bothered today I don't know if the weather has anything to do with it - it was sunny and snowing at the same time earlier. I had an options hot chocolate earlier so I don't feel Spring has arrived yet - the wee lambs must be cold..

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not many lambs here at present, but it is what people say is a "lambing snow". Just as well the blackface sheep we have here (mostly) are tough! Today (Monday) is sunny and bright but still not all that warm. Noticed some geese flying over the weekend and some on the field across from us today. Still nothing much else, although I did disturb a sparrow (I think it was - it was very quick off the mark) from our roof this morning when I put the recycling bin out.

Still have a headache and indigestion from the new pills, but actually no improvement in the symptoms they are supposed to solve. Had some of the sausage casserole from yesterday left so heated a small amount, including one sausage, added some stock and poached a couple of eggs in it. Settled my stomach a bit with a few plain crisps with a little salt on them about an hour ago. That won' be enough for the whole day so will have to think of something for later. Probably have a hunt in the freezer to see what I can find.

I ordered some masa harina from Amazon on Saturday to try to make some corn tortillas - it might not be low carb but it is an alternative to wheat and I might manage something with it that is not too bad carb-wise. Maybe mix it with bamboo flour or something. It arrived in the post this morning anyway but it will go into the larder because I'm not feeling like cooking today. Just lazy really.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No trouble today taking the last 3 of my antibiotic tablets on an empty stomach - Not feeling up to eating anything with the horrible indigestion and headache. Luckily this is the last day on these tablets. They haven't made any difference unfortunately but I hope the doctor doesn't want me to take any more.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to let you know my brother passed away peacefully on Saturday afternoon. In the midst of a lot of organisation at the moment as you would expect.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to let you know my brother passed away peacefully on Saturday afternoon. In the midst of a lot of organisation at the moment as you would expect.

A hug doesn't seem much of a response, but it does represent so much sympathy for you and for your brother's family. I was so sorry to read this post from you, although we all knew that the time would come. I do hope and pray that his last days were peaceful and that he remained pain-free. It must be hard for all of you, but the time must come when you can move on from this sorrow and look forward to better times. My thoughts and prayers are with you all, as I'm sure is the case with many others who have been reading of his condition through your posts.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't finish the last 2 of the antibiotics yesterday. Stomach and head got so bad that I just couldn't. Threw the last 2 in the bin. My whole digestive system is up in arms still today. I daresay it will sort itself out. Later I might have some scrambled egg, if it all calms down a bit. Have managed to drink some milk and a cup of tea, so that's a start.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This method for putting a duvet cover on actually works. It's easier with two people but I can do it on my own (I just turn the quilt sideways to roll it as it saves going from one side of the bed to the other). I can do it quite quickly now although I found it weird at first!

I just did this, so it can be done by a shortie on their own! Needs practice - better first time outcome but took just as long as my standard faffing! Has promise, as they say.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At least I don't end up inside the cover alongside the quilt, doing it that way!

Just had brunch - another really bad night spent in the kitchen chair and so was slow getting going this morning. Then just as I was going to make breakfast, Neil decided to go to town and I wanted to go with him to look for some planters at the garden centre. So when we got back I just made some GF toast and had some Dairylea cheese slices on it. Might try to dig out some fish from the freezer for later on.

Our ferry has broken down apparently and on the news it said it would be out of action until the end of the month. And I heard a mention that the freight ferry is off as well. That's going to be a bit of a problem - there are no other ferries available that are as big. Shops already half empty just after 9.30 this morning! No eggs - that's going to be a bit of an issue but Neil did manage to get some milk and some rhubarb - but that was about all. Could be worse - so far there are few tourists on the ferry, so a bit more room in the smaller ferry for commercial vehicles.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Spoke to the GP yesterday. She says to stop taking the nitrite and just mark time until I have my diabetic appointment at the end of the month. There might be some thoughts after that. She did suggest that I ask for a Libre to keep a closer eye on the BG.

I think I ate something yesterday, but I can't remember what - not much anyway. Oh yes! It was mushroom and pork fricasee out of the freezer. No added carbs there.

Today I had brunch of a taco shell filled with a slice of ham, some scrambled egg and some sliced tomato. Might have something later on - there's some cold roast lamb in the fridge - also out of the freezer. Might mix it with some salady things.

I'll also have to use up some veg from the fridge that are past their best - maybe make some soup to have over the next few days. Only just thought about it, but I don't actually like aubergine - the flesh is OK but the skins!! Will have to think about what to do with them in future. I only really thought about it a few days ago because I made "Imam Bayaldi" and threw it out because I didn't like it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just did this, so it can be done by a shortie on their own! Needs practice - better first time outcome but took just as long as my standard faffing! Has promise, as they say.
It works well once you get used to it. My first couple of times took a while but I'm quite quick now. I think I mentioned I roll it from the side of the bed as it saves me going from side to side with the headboard being against the wall. Once the quilt is on I turn it the right way.

Reactions: Goonergal

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It works well once you get used to it. My first couple of times took a while but I'm quite quick now. I think I mentioned I roll it from the side of the bed as it saves me going from side to side with the headboard being against the wall. Once the quilt is on I turn it the right way.

The first time I tried it, it seemed quite awkward (I'm not very tall and have fairly short arms and the quilt is king sized!) but second time it was almost easy peasy. Hoping to improve over time.

Bad day yesterday - I think my blood pressure might be a bit low when I take the prescribed diuretics. Neil uses an old fashioned blood pressure monitor with a stethoscope and I'm not sure how accurate that is, so have just ordered a battery operated one. Should arrive by Thursday. Then I might have an idea of how to proceed.

Had breakfast today - avocado in a shop made taco. Neil bought these for me and I don't really like them - in fact just put the remaining ones into the compost bin.

Later I have some lamb stock and vegetables into which I will put a few chickpea penne. Should still only be 2 meals today and not too much carb although I haven't worked out how much.