AstraZeneca worries?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
have you had both vaccines by chance? I’m just horrified that if I can’t control it after the first vaccine it’s very possible the second will push it up further.

If it is some reaction to the vaccine it should calm down, it could however just be some bug you've picked up whilst your immune system was dealing with the vaccine.

I had the AZ vaccine (about a month ago) and didn't have any obvious problems - had the really tender arm but I get that with the flu jab so no biggie, I mean I had some days when I couldn't get below 10 but I sometimes get those days anyway (my control has always been a bit volatile anyway)

Reactions: oldgreymare

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a few of the expected symptoms after the first vaccine, but in the second week my lower legs became very pink and very dark in patches. It was before any blood clot info started to come out, so I did not really make a connection, I just made sure that I got up and moved around every hour during the day, and I used a shower twice a day to spray alternately cold and hot water on my legs, and wore socks which did not have tight tops.
It showed no improvement for some time, and as news of unusual blood clots came out I increased the movement and did foot rolling and heel and toe lifting exercises to stimulate blood flow, and after the showers I massaged my lower legs. For a few days nothing happened, then I woke up and the skin no longer felt tight on one leg, and this morning the other one was better.
Do I suspect the vaccine had some involvement - well - I am highly suspicious.
Was it serious? It could have been had I ignored it maybe.
Has it done any permanent harm? Well - I hope and expect that it has not, other than now finding that the softer topped socks no longer stay up by themselves.
I don't want to make anyone anxious, and I will be going to have my second jab when called for.
If anything, my situation has improved due to the intensity of my response to the problem.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it is some reaction to the vaccine it should calm down, it could however just be some bug you've picked up whilst your immune system was dealing with the vaccine.

I had the AZ vaccine (about a month ago) and didn't have any obvious problems - had the really tender arm but I get that with the flu jab so no biggie, I mean I had some days when I couldn't get below 10 but I sometimes get those days anyway (my control has always been a bit volatile anyway)
In my case, there's no sign that I have any illness beyond side effects from elevated Blood Sugar. I had the expected side effects for about 48 hours, peaking at 24 hours, and dropping off in the second 24. However, a sudden huge increase in insulin requirements accompanied it (peaking on the 5th day). At that point, I required an additional 100% of Bolus Insulin and 10% of Basal. I've never been able to get my Basal back to normal, even whilst my Bolus has approached normal (It's now only about 10% higher than my starting point). I've actually after the most recent incident had to increase my Basal even more (20% higher than my starting point).

My control is usually pretty tight and any normal fluctuations are nowhere near this pronounced and long-lasting.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I mentioned in another thread I've had similar not the same, with my Basal Requirements yo-yo-ing. Like you, my only other symptoms are all rather simply explained by persistently high blood sugars. My GP took some Blood Tests to check what's going on, so if anything comes up, I'll share.

For me, personally, I do wonder if there's a weird interaction between my Tresiba and the Vaccine. Tresiba doesn't tend to do well with curveballs, and this is certainly one of those. Also, I've noticed my corrections are still working as anticipated which does suggest the Bolus is doing what it should be doing.

However, I still think taking my second dose is the best route for me, as I'm not entirely convinced by the evidence suggesting the AstraZeneca vaccine is dangerous.

*edited for clarity
As a T1 over 60 I'm definitely in a group where the benefits of any vaccine outweighs the possible risks. Had AZ for my first dose, will definitely have my second - due in 3 weeks time. My main reactions post first vac were headache, lethargy and joint/muscle pain for 48 hours, plus possibly associated extra insulin resistance for about 5 days - but my basal (Tresiba) was fine, however had to add in more corrections and change my bolus ratios. But all back to original levels now.

Reactions: StewM

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have you had both vaccines by chance? I’m just horrified that if I can’t control it after the first vaccine it’s very possible the second will push it up further.
Most reports I have seen say that the AZ first vaccine has worse side effects than the 2nd jab. The Pfizer (which I had) has a milder reaction after the first jab and worse ones after the 2nd.

Reactions: StewM

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't really have any issues after the first 36ish hours after having the vaccine, the same day I was going low rather than high and the day after was higher than usual and had a bit of insulin resistance.
I'm not too concerned about blood clots in all honesty.
The BBC says this about the timing of clots, just for information...
How long after the vaccine do clots appear?
Most cases have been seen between four days and a few weeks of people having the jab.
Medical experts in the UK now suggest doctors should consider this rare condition as a diagnosis in anyone who has matching symptoms up to a month after they have had the vaccine.
(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56674796)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most reports I have seen say that the AZ first vaccine has worse side effects than the 2nd jab. The Pfizer (which I had) has a milder reaction after the first jab and worse ones after the 2nd.
Mine was the opposite. AZ jab. Didn’t have a single thing that indicated I had been given an injection. Not even the usual saw arm , like after flu.
Second AZ a week ago has had no sore arm, but chills, cough, sore throat, headache, fatigue, for several days. Vaccine, or just coincidence that could be I caught a chill through sitting in garden now we are allowed company?
I have had worse colds, though. So no regrets about having the jabs.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get my AZ vaccination in the next week, oe so, I am willing to take the gamble with clots or getting hit by a bus because the odds are greatly in my favour.

20 million doses of AZ given in the UK against 19 deaths with blood clots, they are pretty good odds to take.

Australia's latest findings.

https://www.tga.gov.au/media-release/astrazeneca-chadox1-s-covid-19-vaccine

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is anyone else a bit concerned surrounding the latest news on the AstraZeneca vaccine? I had first vaccine on the 27th March. Blood sugars were fine for the first 5 days after and now they’ve shot up to uncontrollable levels despite doubling insulin. My team says I must have illness or infection as they don’t believe it’s anything to do with the vaccine, but I feel perfectly healthy aside from the fatigue and feeling groggy that persistent high sugar causes me, no coughs, colds etc.

not being able to control my sugars has really put me off having the second vaccine, with the blood clot risk for my age group adding to a lot of concerns. Has anyone been having the same issues with persistent highs??

Hi @Chloelox ,

I'm a little over twice your age.
I had the AZ on the 3rd of March & oddly BGs went up on route & finding a parking space, before I had the jab..
I use a sensor & the personal trends hadn't changed after the jab after correction all was under control.
I did wake the following morning feeling like I'd had a heavy "hedonistic" weekend? Which lasted 24 hours..(lol, I am 52.) ;)
Not a lot to report with the BGs.

2nd jab booked mid May..

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m wondering if perhaps it may have just ended what honeymooning I had left. My libre sensor failed earlier on this evening much to my expectation after readings being 10mmol off lol.

new sensor on and extra basal again, we’ll see how tonight goes. Very well could be a hormonal problem but I honestly don’t know why my hormones would be out of whack. That or perhaps I’m brewing infection or illness but I would have expected some physical symptoms to have appeared.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm witnessing the same stupid reactions (but they are largely politically motivated by the left wing) in Australia re AZ. But that's what you get for surrendering your beliefs in search of a vote.

Akin to the belief that you'll be safer in a plane crash because you're in first class and paid more for your ticket. Just get the jab.

Reactions: zand

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve had the AZ vacinne and wasn’t at all bothered about blood clots , don’t know the exact figures in relation to number of vaccines given but I understand that the number or % is very small. Less in fact than the contraceptive pill which itself can cause blood clots . Think we have to have some sort of perspective or else we will do nothing at all except sit in the house and worry about what’s going to kill us , cos let’s face it there’s thousands of things out there that will , personally I try to cram as much in as I can to this relatively short time on this earth and worrying about the small chance of a blood clot is not one of them ,