Did any of you type 1s have a virus before you got diabetes?

jazzyone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got really bad mumps on boxing day when I was 10,by April I was diagnosed as type 1, my dad also had type 1 from his teens, that was 44years ago

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi yes in 1983 I got chicken pox then month later type 1 diabetes, I got told that my immune system attacked my pancreas, but who knows ????

Seaquest

I had appendicitis at 13 a constant aching stomach for 2 years Chicken Pox then a couple months later Type 1 diabetes.From 12 to 15 loads of skin,cut infections numerous flu type illnesses.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a high white blood cell count found when I went as a drug test volunteer. I also had a slight dull ache in my abdomen. Within the year I was diagnosed with (wrongly) T2. I suspect a virus and I know I'm actually LADA but the NHS won't accept that but at least I have the right treatment finally.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re: Did any of you type 1s have a virus before you got diabe

Don't recall having a virus prior to being diagnosed with diabetes :think:
Hello I had whooping cough at aged 5 before I ended up with having diabetes but my doctor said I was jealous of my sister being at home snd I had to go to school so he said I was putting things on (at 5 ) my mum new I was very ill it took 10 mths to find out 52 yrs ago what was wrong with me and my mum found the symptoms in her nursing book took me back to the doctors he refused to send me to hospital even with a urine sample of 2 % so mum and dad put me into the car snd got me to the hospital them selves the consultant said the next 48 hrs would be critical for me to live or die I made it but always had complications with my diabetes and I have never had many symptoms that am having a hypo in the 52 yrs I have had it we think part of my brain switches of when it shouldn’t do S J Moore .

pamod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again all. I've been doing some research to learn more about type 1 diabetes and why I suddenly got it at age 22 seemingly out of nowhere. It is in my family so I am sure it is very likely that it's just random genetic bad luck. However... I read that there was a virus similar to meningitis that, if you are genetically susceptible to diabetes, CAN trigger an auto-immune response where the body attacks it's own pancreas beta cells AKA type 1 diabetes!

I did some more research into the virus, and while I cannot remember the name, it is a certain mild "type" of the virus which can trigger the response. I do know this virus can turn into meningitis if you are unlucky. Anyway, I know it's a long shot, but when I started to remember the past year or so... my boyfriend and I both had a virus at one point with identical symptoms to the one that can trigger type 1 diabetes.

It presents itself as mild flu like symptoms, tiredness/fatigue, sleeping a lot, feel weak, loss of appetite, and most of all, a red dot pinprick RASH on the wrists, tummy and sometimes armpits. It is also contagious. We both had this rash and I was terrified it was something bad. My boyfriend walked into the hospital we live next to, and they confirmed that it was a simple viral rash and nothing to worry about. It also in most cases, clears up by itself within 1-2 weeks. Which it did for both of us.

I'll never know if this virus indeed triggered my type 1 diabetes. Because I do recall that it was only a couple months after this that I started to get the symptoms. It is definitely something to think about.

Yes I got a virus a really bad flu which the doctors say attacked my pancreas and killed off my islet cells. Prior to that virus, which knocked me out for 3 weeks, I had a routine bypass blood test and my blood sugars were fine.
Anyway I now do not produce any insulin at all and have been type 1 for 30 years

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
This is the first time I’ve posted as most of the time I’ve not felt a part of this community as my type 1 diabetes didn’t materialise until I was 54. It followed an awful virus that I couldn’t shake off and during a very stressful period both at work and at home. I didn’t have a rash but was so totally exhausted all the time, lost lots of weight, had a terrific thirst and my eyesight just ‘went’ whilst driving on the motorway - couldn’t even see the huge road signs! So frightening. I found it very difficult to come to terms with this dramatic change in my life and felt very alone in handling it. However, 16 years later I feel quite able to manage my condition and even at the age of 70 go cycling and walking for exercise. I have to admit though that I am terrified of getting COVID-19 as I fear any virus now and that one especially. Have been staying home since the start of the pandemic. Looking forward to the ‘jab’!

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I did ,it started with a sore throat which the doctor said it was tonsilites ,but then after a recovery ? I started losing weight and body mass then it hit me when I went to the hospital to see why I was losing weight

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was ill for weeks, went to GP they said it was a virus & to get plenty of rest. I was a teenager at the time and my mother kept me in bed & gave me plenty of Lucozade to drink. After plenty of lucozade it tipped me over the edge and had to be rushed to hospital. Blood sugars was 28 in the ambulance but it must of been like that for a while turns out it wasn’t a virus after all it was type 1 diabetes, what triggered it though? Who knows.

Last edited:

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again all. I've been doing some research to learn more about type 1 diabetes and why I suddenly got it at age 22 seemingly out of nowhere. It is in my family so I am sure it is very likely that it's just random genetic bad luck. However... I read that there was a virus similar to meningitis that, if you are genetically susceptible to diabetes, CAN trigger an auto-immune response where the body attacks it's own pancreas beta cells AKA type 1 diabetes!

I did some more research into the virus, and while I cannot remember the name, it is a certain mild "type" of the virus which can trigger the response. I do know this virus can turn into meningitis if you are unlucky. Anyway, I know it's a long shot, but when I started to remember the past year or so... my boyfriend and I both had a virus at one point with identical symptoms to the one that can trigger type 1 diabetes.

It presents itself as mild flu like symptoms, tiredness/fatigue, sleeping a lot, feel weak, loss of appetite, and most of all, a red dot pinprick RASH on the wrists, tummy and sometimes armpits. It is also contagious. We both had this rash and I was terrified it was something bad. My boyfriend walked into the hospital we live next to, and they confirmed that it was a simple viral rash and nothing to worry about. It also in most cases, clears up by itself within 1-2 weeks. Which it did for both of us.

I'll never know if this virus indeed triggered my type 1 diabetes. Because I do recall that it was only a couple months after this that I started to get the symptoms. It is definitely something to think about.
I became a type 1 diabetic after having Asian flu in December 1958.
My mother insisted I got it as a result of flu. The consultant said it wasn't the cause but \i know it was.
My grandmother died of it in 1924. She became diabetic after contracting flu.
There is a genetic factor which was triggered by influenza.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is self selecting for people who did so I am chipping in to say NO though even in 1980 my parents were questioned re did I have a virus or was I stressed? We had just moved but I don't remember being distressed.
In my adult group of fellow type 1s I am in the minority having been diagnosed as a kid. I know quite a few who got to type 1 via autoimmune route (illness or coeliac disease) as adults.

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I had a reoccurring mouth infection that was on and off, every month starting around 6 months before diagnosis. Not sure if this was linked, as we still don't know the " Real " cause sadly.

One interesting question I would always ask people, is whether they went through a traumatic event prior to diagnosis. General consensus, especially in adults, is that they went through something emotionally harsh that could be another contributor to Type 1 diabetes, or a type 1 variant in adults.

An interesting one, is those who had covid recently over the last year, without realising and are now type 1 diabetic... I'm sure more data will be passed through over the next few years.

Joys of the disease and it's unanswered reasons as to " How " and " Why ".

Reactions: oldgreymare

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a chest infection then soon after got type 1 diabetes.