DN Review - the good and not so good!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally had my review with my new DN this week who was very pleased with my results as my hba1c, at 36, was in the non diabetic range again, my cholesterol was ok - no statins talk despite me having my arguments ready and she was impressed that I managed to lose some weight, albeit not very much, during lockdown as most of her patients had put on weight - one at least 4 stone. However, as an aside, we all know there may be a number of reasons for this increase not just what we eat! I am now classed as being in remission but will remain on the diabetic register for annual blood tests etc - I forgot to ask about the eye exams but assume these will still continue. When she suggested that I continue to watch my carbs I thought I had found an enlightened individual however when I told her I was testing the answer was an emphatic “there’s no need to test - even some patients on insulin don’t need to” which is a little worrying and I tried to argue that, as I hadn’t had an hba1c in 18 months, it enabled me to monitor my BS levels but, alas, to no avail - I suppose in her eyes she had a valid point in saying that my control was obviously very good anyway. I thought it best not to tell her that I had ordered the Libre 2 week free trial although, on reflection, her reaction may have been interesting to say the least! So an interesting conversation which was overall good but proved, unfortunately, that some medics still have some way to go re encouraging patients to monitor etc. I will still continue to test as a lot can happen in a year - I just won’t tell her next time!!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that medics have a way to go- scary about those on insulin not needing to test. I am grateful every day for this site. I don't understand why they are so resistant to us testing g.

Great results by the way!

Reactions: Daphne917

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news on your numbers, well done.
It did fall off a cliff after that!! Difficult to say with an opinion like that except you are clearly doing what is right for you.

Would be interested to read about how you find the Libre 2, getting hold, applying and working with. Thinking I might give it a go.
Best

Reactions: oldgreymare

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That's a great result. 36 is fantastic, not that I need to tell you that, but hey.

This absurd advice or is it being told more so then advised to not test just ignores how important it really is. It's data, it's very important data.

I honestly can't believe she said some people on insulin don't need to. Perhaps that's to help ram home the message of not testing, but that is a frightening statement from a DN. That is dangerous advice.

Again, congrats on the results. :)

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn’t too surprised when she said that there was no need for me to test but the fact that she said some people on insulin don’t need to is a bit worrying! Unfortunately her call was 15 mins late and I had a meeting to attend so couldn’t argue with her any longer.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that medics have a way to go- scary about those on insulin not needing to test. I am grateful every day for this site. I don't understand why they are so resistant to us testing g.

Great results by the way!
Thanks.
I’ll be generous and think that if they advise us to test we will expect then to prescribe strips etc!

Reactions: hankjam

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A jolly well done @Daphne917

And another incredulous at the stupidity of such advise.

It's like an alchemist, turning lead into gold

You would be interested, SURELY.

Yet the "Well done, good score"..

Never seems to have the intelligent mental input I'd expect of those supposedly educated in health matters.

I guess we cracked it and 36 is pretty average score at your surgery for type 2's. :rolleyes: ( as if )

40 certainly seemed run of the mill at mine
Pat on the back, and a "go join every other type 2 at this surgery all back to normal HBA1c, thank to our care & diligence...

god we're doing well here, aren't we..NEXT !

And all this nonsense I read online about type 2 being an issue ....haha..
.we've cured it here. "

I guess the question is.
WHY.

Why aren't they curious
Why shouldn't we check
Who enforces such nonsense on them

Anyway.
Congratulations
Marvellous result :D

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I wasn’t too surprised when she said that there was no need for me to test but the fact that she said some people on insulin don’t need to is a bit worrying! Unfortunately her call was 15 mins late and I had a meeting to attend so couldn’t argue with her any longer.

Probably saved you some grief...

Reactions: oldgreymare

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news on your numbers, well done.
It did fall off a cliff after that!! Difficult to say with an opinion like that except you are clearly doing what is right for you.

Would be interested to read about how you find the Libre 2, getting hold, applying and working with. Thinking I might give it a go.
Best
I’ve received the Libre2 yesterday so will look at starting it in the next few days - should be interesting. I have a concern though about how the sensor will react with my skin as it tends to react to some things and I need to use the non allergic plasters etc.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just won’t tell her next time!

Well done Daphne. I think you should tell her EVERY time, maybe it will eventually sink in and even if she won't acknowledge it to your face it might make her think about it when she is talking to her other patients. Let's face it, she cannot deny that it works. I don't even class it as an argument, it's the facts plain & simple for you. x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am mind boggled at the some insulin users don't need to test particularly as the HNS mandates strips for anyone on glucose lowering meds (eg my 90 year old dad when on gliclazide though he only tested when I stood over him to do so). Kind of makes you doubt anything else that comes out of her mouth, though she may just be being a realist. (Some people don't want to test?)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can understand why they tell some people not to test (not insulin or similar users obviously). For many, once you test you then have to look, understand and adjust to the readings and it becomes a 24/7 endeavour. If you are a person that will become anxious every time you see a rise of 0.5mmol or get worried and depressed or paranoid when it hits 7, then constant testing could turn into an eating disorder or even worse. However, anyone who is clearly showing an interest in their health and knows that they are the type that is able to keep things in perspective and use testing in a reasonable way, then they really should help them to do this. Once again it's certain medical Professionals using a 'one size fits all' approach and it's wrong. Listen to the person in front of you.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve received the Libre2 yesterday so will look at starting it in the next few days - should be interesting. I have a concern though about how the sensor will react with my skin as it tends to react to some things and I need to use the non allergic plasters etc.

Hi @Daphne917 I suggest you spray some Cavillon underneath. Use it all the time following allergy issues.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Daphne. I think you should tell her EVERY time, maybe it will eventually sink in and even if she won't acknowledge it to your face it might make her think about it when she is talking to her other patients. Let's face it, she cannot deny that it works. I don't even class it as an argument, it's the facts plain & simple for you. x
What tends to annoy me is that they don’t seem to accept that by testing diabetics can learn what effect the food they are eating has on their BS and adapt their diet accordingly :banghead::banghead:. I am lucky in that I can eat more carby foods than many T2s - in fact I probably eat more in one day than some members on here eat in a week however I only know this through testing which I still do most mornings and on other occasions so I do not get complacent. For example a new bakery has opened in the village that makes its own sourdough bread - I bought a loaf today, tested a slice and, after 1 hours I was 6.5, 2 hours 6.7 and 2.5 hours 5.8 which means that, as long as I don’t have more than 1 slice I know I should be ok.