New to all this

Garyw61

Hi newly diagnosed T2 trying to get my head around all this, my name is Gary I'm 61 ,live in Yorkshire, it seems like i can't eat all the stuff i like ,I drive for a living so makes finding lunch a bit difficult. Hoping to pick up some tips off the good people here and if i can help too but ATM it's a big learning curve for me, stay safe and good luck, Gary

Reactions: muzza3 and 22nw22

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi newly diagnosed T2 trying to get my head around all this, my name is Gary I'm 61 ,live in Yorkshire, it seems like i can't eat all the stuff i like ,I drive for a living so makes finding lunch a bit difficult. Hoping to pick up some tips off the good people here and if i can help too but ATM it's a big learning curve for me, stay safe and good luck, Gary
You'll be alright, Gary.
Driving is tough for finding lunch but you can still have things like sausages and burgers if you skip the bread. The main thing to remember is that your body can't process carbs well, so you just need to lay off the carbs as much as possible. The plus side to all this is that when you get more used to the new way of eating, it should be easier to keep the weight off and you don't get hungry as much.

Reactions: Garyw61

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You’re alive and well. Keep researching the diabetes, keep a healthy diet, stay low carb is what I heard as advice for a Type 2. Baring in mind though that I’ve got Type 1, so my diabetes is a bit different.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, its a long learning curve. I'm still learning a over a year in.
Put a bit of a spin on the eating, its not what you can't eat, its having more, so much more of what you can! I've just had cream in a hot chocolate and having really tasty cheeses for lunch. Duck, chicken and prawns tonight.
Whats not to like?
Plenty of food ideas around the forum.
Ask away

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You'll be alright, Gary.
Driving is tough for finding lunch but you can still have things like sausages and burgers if you skip the bread. The main thing to remember is that your body can't process carbs well, so you just need to lay off the carbs as much as possible. The plus side to all this is that when you get more used to the new way of eating, it should be easier to keep the weight off and you don't get hungry as much.
You can order a McD without the bun. They serve it on a plastic plate with plastic cuttlery.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Garyw61 and welcome

Excellent suggestions above. Do you have space for a small cool box/bag in your vehicle? That way you could take food with you. But most shops will stock cold meats/cheese/nuts if you need to grab something or just pick up hot foods without the carby elements from take aways or cafes. Some supermarkets have hot counters too, with chicken portions or similar.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

There have been some good suggestions already. I can contribute a few. Hard boiled eggs, cold meats, chicken wings cooked and taken with you, order a sandwich but don't eat the bread, sliced cheese or cheese in general. cold roast chicken.

You can cook some low carb muffins etc and take them.

Yes it is more challenging but I am sure you will come up with some more ideas.

Good luck.