Going to bed with sugar at 9 but waking up with levels of 16. Can someone please help me?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Would it be beneficial to wake up and take a small amount of insulin?

Honestly, most T1s are now on a basal/bolus mix ie a long acting insulin that acts for 24 or more hours plus a short acting bolus that covers you for any meals you have (plus corrections). I got changed from the sort of dosage you are on in the mids 80s so am boggling slightly at your regime.

You can't just take a small extra dosage without talking to your team, especially if you are on a mixed dose insulin.

If you are just being handled by a GP then I strongly urge you to get a referral to a hospital. GPs are generally passableish on T2s, clueless on T1s and worse than useless on anything else. I doubt your GP even knows what MODY is. (THough a lot of MODYs manage without insulin so I think T1 os more likely).

Sorry T2s, I know you're going to say that GPs are clueless for you too. :). I feel your pain.

Good luck This is fixable.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Honestly, most T1s are now on a basal/bolus mix ie a long acting insulin that acts for 24 or more hours plus a short acting bolus that covers you for any meals you have (plus corrections).

Or even on an insulin pump. At your age you might find it better. And if you decide to have kids then you definitely might want to go that route. Slightly tongue in cheek here, but if you told your GP you were thinking of getting pregnant they'd probably refer you to a hospital asap. :)

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I've been going to bed wirhh decent sugars, checking them at least 2 hours after any food. But then I wake up with them at 16, with no food in between. I'm at such a loss! I don't sleep well, constantly waking, can that be the cause?
That can indeed be the cause, but bare in mind, it could also be you’re eating starch for dinner or some complex carbs. I heard on a Facebook group that people would give a meal time dose before a bagel for example, then another dose like an hour later and another 2 hours later. At least that’s what I think I heard, it was something along those lines