Type 1'stars R Us

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news @Jaylee you will be able to treat yourself to something else with that monthly saving.
@Antje77 so so jealous, I would have been in that pool with you like a shot. Socially distanced of course. My indoor pool opens on the 12th and my monthly direct debit will start going out again. A little annoying as won’t be able to go before May. Have a weeks holidays in the Lakes-last years deferred-hurrah! Then am in hospital for a gastronomic tube and have to have a test and self isolate before.
Weather here has been wall to wall sunshine since Good Friday which has been wonderful. Though the wind has been biting temperatures freezing and snow flurries frequent. Bonkers!
@karen8967 I concur re the Fiasp and Tresiba best move I made too. Have the blue and red half dose pens and that has made control even better. That half dose facility is so useful.
In Bloom gardening this morning. Nearly 6 months of weeds to tame.
Have a good day all.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone have a good day
FB_IMG_1617724562951.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news @Jaylee you will be able to treat yourself to something else with that monthly saving.

Hi,
to be fair, Becca. I got everything I want.. :) Or shall I say content with what I have.

Though, I still haven't cracked getting the L2 to work with my Watlaa watch. (Regarding it making any sense of the algorithm.)
May need to try a different BT bridge..?
I went back to self prescribing the L1. Funny how they upped the price a few months back on the L1 to alighn with the new L2....o_O

Reactions: Antje77 and Marie 2

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, it’s good to see that some of you are using half dose pens, i think i’m going to ask my doc if i can try them out as sometimes a full unit either way makes too much of a difference on my blood readings.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee strange they upped the price. Consultant told me they cost same so Gp would just change me over. Not that they’ve done that yet. Libre works very well for me without extra gizmos so reluctant to change anyway.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee strange they upped the price. Consultant told me they cost same so Gp would just change me over. Not that they’ve done that yet. Libre works very well for me without extra gizmos so reluctant to change anyway.
I was told by Asda the price went up, about a couple of months before the libre2 was available.. Same price.;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told by Asda the price went up, about a couple of months before the libre2 was available.. Same price.;)

I think it’s only Asda’s price that went up. I buy direct from Abbott and Libre 2 is the same cost as Libre 1.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it’s only Asda’s price that went up. I buy direct from Abbott and Libre 2 is the same cost as Libre 1.
That could be it..? They both cost the same at ASDA.

I've been swinging twix the 2 the past few months as an experiment.

I'm still surprised the L1 is still in stock.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
In the US
Abbot had told me originally that the price would be the same for the 14 day Libre and the Libre 2. When I went to buy them they were more expensive. I called Abbot and they issued a coupon for me to use until the first of the year to keep it at the same price. They also assured me that the 14 day would be staying around as a cheaper sensor option here at least. (supposedly).

I have a sneaky feeling the cost went up to suppliers but Abbot tried to push the same retail price? But not all/most here of companies would play that game. I do not know what price the Libre2 is now as I have been back to using the 14 day because I already have alarms on my Dexcom.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning Karen, good morning all.
All that talk about the price of the libres is making me feel very very lucky to have it on prescription. I remember doing the rounds of places to see which sold it cheapest when I self-funded. I also remember finding out the difference between the cost to the NHS and what a private person paid - back then it was NHS £35 per item, private purchase between £48 and £55 per item.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Q@Fairygodmother I am lucky to have it on prescription now. But back in the day I had a chat with my local village pharmacy and he supplied them for £45 each. Which I thought was ok at the time. There were other things I gave up to afford it. But would do the same again.

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same for me as well, very lucky to get the libre sensors on prescription but i have also asked if i can change to the libre 2 sensors as the lo alarm would be a big help to me as i rarely get lo warning signs anymore.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Epic fail at snorkeling a few days ago. I forgot to do a basal reduction before I went swimming and just did it when I got there. I ate a cookie to make up for it but it was a really really strong current and an hour out and my blood sugars plummeted, I ended up drinking a chocolate soymilk to boost them back up and still only got another half hour before starting to drop again. Gave up!!!

But today I reduced it even earlier for 2 hours because I needed a slight boost in Bg level so by the time we got there I was at a 7.2, perfect for a swim! The sun was out and the current still strong but not as bad and I stayed around 7.2 the whole 2 hours I was out! I dropped by the time I got out and got to the car to about 5. so good timing. Then the increase started but I never went above 8 and by the time I hit 8 I already had given myself several doses.

But this makes me think I either need to do a bigger reduction and the longer time of the reduction or maybe both especially when I start with the even longer 3 hour swims. Eventually we will have full sun and warmer water. I am spoiled today the water was 24c but it reaches 27c with a full sun and that keeps you warmer in the summer and fall.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Back in the days when I actually used to go places it was a requirement to check blood glucose several times a day and always before driving.

Now under house arrest and the legal requirement to test removed for all but the weekly shopping trip, I am now usually only testing once a day before bedtime.

So I have no idea what my FBG is and since Christmas I have been totally winging it on the bolus front. I've had a couple more hypo's than normal and my recent A1c came back at 7.5% which frankly, was better than I expected. My retinopathy check was clear which was also a little surprising.

Now here we are with everything starting to open up again, I feel it will be a struggle getting back into the routine of proper diabetes management. Need to psyche myself up for the likely return to the office in a few weeks time.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@urbanracer Wow, once a day????? Envy that you could do that, a really nice little break! But I would have withdrawals. I am addicted to my CGM and purposely don't have it restarted or start a new one for a day or two because I was having fits not knowing just during the 2 hour warm up time on my Dex. I figured I did fine before it and it would be good to not have it 24/7 every once in a while. And it feels liberating...................however I am testing probably 10 times a day when I do so lol. I seem to can't stand not knowing and making the little tweaks all day!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@Marie 2
I used to be obsessed with the numbers, mainly it was the period just after diagnosis. After approx 2 years I got the Libre and it was so easy. Used it for about 18months until the rashes started then went back to finger pricking but not with the same enthusiasm as when I started out.

Even before lockdowns I had already reached a point where I was only testing when I needed to drive. Now without driving, testing seems to be such a chore.

I've read on other forums that the Libre adhesive has changed, so I'm thinking of trying it again. But it's a lot of money to spend if I just break out in rashes again.