Newly diagnosed with diabetes 2 - just received 2nd blood results

Johosephat

Hello,

Apologies if this is a silly question - this is all rather new to me.

I was confirmed as having diabetes 2 in early Jan. My first blood test reading in early Jan was 112mmol. Since then I've been taking 4 x 500mg Metformin a day.

My second blood test reading in early Apr was 39mmol.

Is there a way to gauge how much of that decrease was due to Metformin or weight loss/diet?

Reactions: Dudette1

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Johosephat and welcome!

Metformin on its own generally has only a limited impact on blood glucose. It works by stopping the liver from pumping so much sugar into the bloodstream. I’d wager that most of that staggering drop in such a short space of time is down to you and the changes you’ve made. Congratulations!

Care to share what you’ve done?

Johosephat

Thanks Goonergal.

I've really tried to change my diet. I've ditched the carbs and sugar, and try to be (relatively) low fat. I don't have breakfast. Lunch is stuff like a one or two eggs with asparagus/avocado/smoked salmon etc. Dinner is usually meat/fish and two veg, or I make a curry/chilli (without beans)/pasta sauce/ramen/laksa to be served with konjac rice/noodles. I also occasionally have those low carb tortillas.

I exercise and drinks LOADS of water.

I had hoped the doctor would call to talk to me about these results. I've booked a call with them later this month.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Goonergal.

I've really tried to change my diet. I've ditched the carbs and sugar, and try to be (relatively) low fat. I don't have breakfast. Lunch is stuff like a one or two eggs with asparagus/avocado/smoked salmon etc. Dinner is usually meat/fish and two veg, or I make a curry/chilli (without beans)/pasta sauce/ramen/laksa to be served with konjac rice/noodles. I also occasionally have those low carb tortillas.

I exercise and drinks LOADS of water.

I had hoped the doctor would call to talk to me about these results. I've booked a call with them later this month.
Hi. You've done very well. BTW you don't need to worry about having fat.

Johosephat

I have high blood pressure and cholesterol as well, and thought it better not to eat too much fat. I bought some keto test sticks to use with the blood test kit and my readings weren't too high (slightly above average) and didn't want to risk going the other way.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no way to assess how much of your personal HbA1c drop is Met and how much is diet/lifestyle.
However, there have been multiple studies on Metformin, and they’ve been ‘meta-analysed’, with the finding that, on average, across the studies, dependent on dosage, acting as a monotherapy... (insert all the various vague caveats ;) ) Metformin reduces HbA1c results by approx 1.1% (American units) which equates to approx 11 mmol/mol (UK units).
https://www.jwatch.org/jw201204030000003/2012/04/03/how-much-does-metformin-lower-hba1c-level

so most of that impressive reduction is down to your hard work, not Metformin. :D

Johosephat

Omg that's amazing. Feeling super positive now. I thought it was just the Metformin, and I'd be on it forever. Thanks so much.

Johosephat

I've just spoken to the doctor about my results.

Despite my HBA1C falling from 112 to 39, my cholesterol falling from 8.7 to 4.4, and my blood pressure falling from approx. 160/100 to 120/80 (all since Jan), I was disappointed to hear my Metformin, statin and blood pressure medications weren't going to be reduced.

It was suggested I am tested again in six months, but asked for another test in three to then hopefully then review my medications.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just spoken to the doctor about my results.

Despite my HBA1C falling from 112 to 39, my cholesterol falling from 8.7 to 4.4, and my blood pressure falling from approx. 160/100 to 120/80 (all since Jan), I was disappointed to hear my Metformin, statin and blood pressure medications weren't going to be reduced.

It was suggested I am tested again in six months, but asked for another test in three to then hopefully then review my medications.

Sadly, he probably thought that the improvements were all the result of his wonder drugs.

Reactions: Johosephat