What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For some reason this post eluded me this morning, hug for back, winner for great sea photo and marbling Magpie. Hope back sorted by Beach ramble.
Back sorted for now. I have had these conversations with my lumbar region since I was in my 20’s - walking is what sorts it out. It used to be running but walking works just at well, just not so entertaining to the general population.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
For those on Apple or just more curious.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...me-on-your-apple-iphone-ipad-imac-or-macbook/

Interesting points

Been made more aware recently about how thoroughly we are tracked online.

Hadn't considered Droid v Apple would be a straight out fight....Mmhh

"Ready player One" comes to mind

When I was studying a design course a few years back, one of the modules was about Marketing and getting your ideas to market and the methods some companies use - like special offers that actually cost you more than the original price when you work it out.

The class was once shown a video about Google's new recruits and how the majority all fit the standard Harvard/Stanford/Princeton education type. They all think the same way, have the same political ideologies and due to the fact that Google provides on campus shopping, fitness and banking etc, these people eat, sleep and breathe Google.

One of the recruits stated openly on camera that it was Google's ambition to "control" all the information in the world. When Google took over Youtube, this video was taken off-line immediately. Since that time, I have always considered Google to be a slightly sinister organisation. Your link does nothing to pursuade me otherwise.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=google+wants+to+control+the+world's+information&docid=608050412935592776&mid=7E0A4AFCE939954C8A847E0A4AFCE939954C8A84&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was studying a design course a few years back, one of the modules was about Marketing and getting your ideas to market and the methods some companies use - like special offers that actual cost you more than the original price when you work it out.

The class was once shown a video about Google's new recruits and how the majority all fit the standard Harvard/Stanford/Princeton education type. They all think the same way, have the same political ideologies and due to the fact that Google provides on campus shopping, fitness and banking etc, these people eat, sleep and breathe Google.

One of the recruits stated openly on camera that it was Google's ambition to "control" all the information in the world. When Google took over Youtube, this video was taken off-line immediately. Since that time, I have always considered Google to be a slightly sinister organisation. Your link does nothing to pursuade me otherwise.
For years I refused to use Google as my search engine, used Yahoo instead, but I have given up and back to Google, but I hope Apple get their search engine working well, not that I expect their algorithms will be any safer in the long run.

Then there is Alexa!!!!! :(

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
For years I refused to use Google as my search engine, used Yahoo instead, but I have given up and back to Google, but I hope Apple get their search engine working well, not that I expect their algorithms will be any safer in the long run.

Then there is Alexa!!!!! :(

Yes, Amazon are not much better, recording the conversations of households who don't know to switch it off. (Me and the missus hardly talk to each other anyway so safe there!)
And then there's the RING video doorbell which records all your comings and goings and Amazon stores the lot - scary stuff.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.6 yesterday and 4.6 today

I think it's the sixth straight day of snow showers ;) it's not 'sticking' and at least the wind is not so strong but it is still cold :)
Sunday lunch at mum's today including some experimental butternut squash baked with the bacon wrapped chicken, only tomorrow will tell about the fbg ;) was quite tasty though, mum and mr gee both enjoyed it. I restricted myself to a couple of pieces.

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@dunelm - your dry brush sketch is very effective and I like the gentle marbling, it's making for interesting backgrounds :) your bird is full of character as always.

@gennepher - I like how the eyes turned out especially and your 'abstract' overspill works nicely, sometimes things just work :joyful: I see Popeye has got his seal of approval on them :)

@lindisfel - my vanilla whey protein powder says it is 80 micrograms of sodium per 100g (came from Home Bargains) :) my 'BW pure 80' unflavoured says it has no salt (seems unlikely but that's what is quoted)

@jjraak - Many Happy Returns :joyful: and thank you for the interesting tech info. ;)

@BRSBRI - I've enjoyed your postings and interactions but safety is important, look in on us now and again if you can :)

@Muddy Cyclist - from an interesting start to an accomplished finished piece, love the quality of light, the character changed quite a lot and I always enjoy seeing the intermediate state, inspiring and instructive :)

art bit - one for yesterday and one for today :)
no 1 is a rather tentative pencil sketch based on a screen cap from the tele

upload_2021-4-11_17-50-34.jpeg

no 2 - is my shot at an image by an artist called Hanna L Jakobsen, I like how much she is able to do with a quite restricted palette

upload_2021-4-11_17-57-52.jpeg

lindisfel

Expert
When I was studying a design course a few years back, one of the modules was about Marketing and getting your ideas to market and the methods some companies use - like special offers that actually cost you more than the original price when you work it out.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=google+wants+to+control+the+world's+information&docid=608050412935592776&mid=7E0A4AFCE939954C8A847E0A4AFCE939954C8A84&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
Sounds like a cult!

Reactions: urbanracer

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I didn’t come to the Internet @urbanracer and owning my own netbook until late in life, a decade ago when I was a cantankerous batty old lady. I never trusted the internet because I did have a ‘play’ on a friend’s computer in 1990’s and I could see all the future pitfalls for the ‘ordinary’ computer user. My friend told me don’t be silly and that I was over the top in what I was suggesting it could lead to.

I learnt, once I had my own netbook, a decade ago (to my embarrassment), that once something is on google, it remains online forever. I can still find it. Just two names put into google and it will still come up. It is nothing serious. And I can laugh about it now, although I was mortified at the time.

But it was a lesson, on what I say online, and the search engines I use (and how I use them) and a lot lot more. But this does not mean I am silent online. I am deaf, and online is necessary and great for me for communication. So, I need online.

My experience is that even private messages or Twitter DM’s etc are not private, and it appears the Twitter DM’s were either hacked or something by advertising people because an advert would arrive in our inboxes as we finished our DM conversations, based on what we were taking about. My friend and I then actively tested it, and then reported it to Twitter at that time. And it stopped.

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think it's the sixth straight day of snow showers ;) it's not 'sticking' and at least the wind is not so strong but it is still cold :)
Sunday lunch at mum's today including some experimental butternut squash baked with the bacon wrapped chicken, only tomorrow will tell about the fbg ;) was quite tasty though, mum and mr gee both enjoyed it. I restricted myself to a couple of pieces.

@dunelm - your dry brush sketch is very effective and I like the gentle marbling, it's making for interesting backgrounds :) your bird is full of character as always.

@gennepher - I like how the eyes turned out especially and your 'abstract' overspill works nicely, sometimes things just work :joyful: I see Popeye has got his seal of approval on them :)

@lindisfel - my vanilla whey protein powder says it is 80 micrograms of sodium per 100g (came from Home Bargains) :) my 'BW pure 80' unflavoured says it has no salt (seems unlikely but that's what is quoted)

@jjraak - Many Happy Returns :joyful: and thank you for the interesting tech info. ;)

@BRSBRI - I've enjoyed your postings and interactions but safety is important, look in on us now and again if you can :)

@Muddy Cyclist - from an interesting start to an accomplished finished piece, love the quality of light, the character changed quite a lot and I always enjoy seeing the intermediate state, inspiring and instructive :)

View attachment 48839

no 2 - is my shot at an image by an artist called Hanna L Jakobsen, I like how much she is able to do with a quite restricted palette

View attachment 48840
Thank you @geefull for the painting compliments :)
Yes, Popeye has to approve everything :)

I love the portrait pencil sketch. It is very competent.

I like the painting after Jakobson. I like restricted palettes very much and this one is very effective. And you have done it justice.

lindisfel

Expert
Having a little experience of Linux I reckon we would be a lot safer on that platform.

Its amazingly fast surfing but definitely rather hands on if one wants to change things. However if we all got onto linux we would probably be targeted.
D.

Reactions: gennepher

lindisfel

Expert

View attachment 48839

View attachment 48840
Thank you, Geeful, that sounds to be the ticket when I try to keep my sodium budget down to less than 0.7 gram per day.
D.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

My escape from Wales plan (I live literally on the border), so I could now finally enjoy the freedom of close by English stuff today, got scuppered by a last minute hospital appointment. So plans I made will have to wait another day :(

My digital painting, begun in ZenBrush2 and finished in Procreate for this morning.

B85FD621-C83A-4584-B357-1BC605FAC8F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 48839

View attachment 48840
Thank you @geefull - I like butternut squash - but it does not like me so will be interested in how that goes.
A very competent sketch from you, well drawn and quite expressive. Your painting a la Kakobson works very well. As stated by @gennepher - you have done it justice.

Reactions: ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

My escape from Wales plan (I live literally on the border), so I could now finally enjoy the freedom of close by English stuff today, got scuppered by a last minute hospital appointment. So plans I made will have to wait another day :(

My digital painting, begun in ZenBrush2 and finished in Procreate for this morning.

View attachment 48844
An interesting and minimalist representation of trees that I much like - here comes the sun!